It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• may have Pneumonia...dr just prescribed Prednisone and Inhaler

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
    manchak99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

manchak99 HB User
    may have Pneumonia...dr just prescribed Prednisone and Inhaler

what can i expect being on these drugs?
    i'm a bit nervous to be on either of these...never used an inhaler-Advair and not sure if i want to be on steriods!
    dr thinks it could be pneumonia since she heard some possible fluid in my one lung....after being on the zpack as of last monday, i went back today due to gurgling upon exhalation and my rib on my right feels as if it's cracked....so xrays were done and i'm just waiting..but in the meantime, dr called in the prednisone and an inhaler.....

any experiences would be helpful.
    thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: may have Pneumonia...dr just prescribed Prednisone and Inhaler

As short a period of time that you'll be on the oral steroid, it should not be a problem. I'm assuming 5-7 days? And the inhaled steroid does not have the same side effects as oral ones. Asthmatics are generally on inhaled ones for a lifetime.
    I'd just be sure to get the results from the x ray in case you need another antibiotic.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
    Johna
    Veteran
    (female)

Johna HB User

Hi, I have asthma and take advair twice a day. Advair allows me to breath easier with no side effects. When I have bronchitis or pneumonia I take prednisone because it's really the only medication that will help me breath.

During the days I take prednisone I eat and eat and eat.......my face becomes round and I am alittle more wacky than usually. But I will gladly take these in order to breath.

I hope you feel better...try to rest/sleep/ and if you don't feel better soon..might wanta go back to the doctor.

Take care!

Johna

Old 12-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
    manchak99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

manchak99 HB User

I went to the pharmacy and they gave me Albueterol.....anyone have this and have any neg side effects?

Old 12-29-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
    Ayvah2
    (female)

Ayvah2 HB User

alberterol is a fast acting inhaler, also called a rescue inhaler. It works to open up the airways very quickly, within 15 minutes. Take one puff while breathing in deeply and hold it in as long as possible, then wait a minute, and do the same with puff number 2. The most common side effect with albuterol is a temporary faster heart rate. If you take it and find that this bothers you, call your doctor and ask if you can get a prescription for Xopenex to replace albuterol, as that has less risk of increased heart rate.

Prednisone is a steroid which decreases inflammation to make it easier to breathe. Its most common side effects are mood swings, increased appetite/weight gain.

Both work well to increase ease of breathing. As another poster wrote, these seem to be temporary medications, so do what you need to to be able to breathe well first, all other potential side effects are secondary to that.

Closed Thread