It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Severe sore throat

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-11-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
    Hamilton92
    Veteran
    (female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User
    Severe sore throat

I've had a very bad sore throat for 2 days, going on 3 days now.
    I was feeling under the weather on Monday and woke up Tuesday feeling achy and had a mild soer throat. By Tuesday evening the sore throat had gotten worse and I've had it since.
    It seems worse when I go to sleep and wake up in the morning. I am a mouth breather because my nose is constantly stuffed up but when I first wake up and take something to drink then my throat is really bad. It is swollen and it is hard to even swallow. It gets better during the day time but then again at night it gets worse. The sides of my throat around my tonsils and behind my tonsils down the sides of my throat are the worst. It feels swollen and when I swallow if feels like I've got a big lump in my throat. Also my ears hurt and everythingi feels so raw.
    I've plugged in my steam humidifier and filled it with vicks and will breathe it in and feel better like I'm trying to clear up for a while anyways.
    Today my throat has veins running all through it in the back and the sides of my throat are still really bright red and my ears inside feel raw.
    I have before boiled my ears out with peroxide and it makes it feel better for a while also.
    I just don't like the feeling of not being able to swallow. It is very hard to swallow liquids right now. Does any one have any suggestions on what I can do. I don't think it is strep but again I'm not sure, it may be sinus drainage also.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Severe sore throat

If it is allergies or sinus drainage, gargling wiht warm salt water should take care of it. If it doesn't, you have an infection (which it really sounds like you have) and you'll need antibiotics.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
    Hamilton92
    Veteran
    (female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User

I took a look at my tonsils in the mirror and they look sort of mis-shaped and lumpy. They have a thin white film and kind of spotty all over them. I called the doctors office and they can't get me in until next week. I am wondering if I called again if I could get them to call in some antibiotics for me.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
    hawaiianmoon
    (female)

hawaiianmoon HB User

Good ole doctors! They can't ever seem to get you in when you NEED to be seen..unless it's an emergency! Depending on how long its been since you have seen them, some will call something in and others will want to do an exam to cover their behinds..which I really can't blame them there but they should be able to fit you in! Hope you are feeling better soon!!!

Closed Thread