It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Cracking or popping joints?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-16-2010, 05:04 AM   #1
    mm9
    (male)

mm9 HB User
    Cracking or popping joints?

I have cracked my knuckles quite a lot in the past and have read that this can cause damage especially to grip strength. I crack my toes a lot as well and my ankles usually crack naturally when I stand up. Is this damaging or is it perfectly natural for the human joints to do this?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2010, 05:09 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Cracking or popping joints?

it's a myth that popping your joints/knuckles with damage them. you are causing no problems. Pop away!

Old 04-16-2010, 05:11 AM   #3
    curly fry
    Veteran
    (female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User

Are you inactive for the most part? I am, and I have creeking and cracking all over the place. To me, it's embarrasing. I'm too young to be cracking all over the place! The worst are my ankles. When I was taking dance, they cracked all the time. People claimed not to hear them, but they were so loud, I doubt they didn't. Doctor said it's because I don't exercise much and said that once I got into a routine, I should notice less cracking.

As far as knuckle cracking- I've been doing it my whole life, but I've also heard that it is bad for you. And as for toes, as an ex-dancer (ballet, not pole LOL), I crack them all the time too. I'm sure its not great for you, but I don't know the long term results

Old 04-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
    mm9
    (male)

mm9 HB User

I'm fairly active and I'm still young. I usually play sports once a week. It sounds like nothing to worry about.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:48 AM   #5
    mm9
    (male)

mm9 HB User

I'm a tennis player so I wish to know if cracking knuckles can cause any damage to the hand.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:42 AM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

No, popping any joint - fingers, wrists, knees, back, feet, toes, etc - will not damage it.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
    Calee
    (female)

Calee HB User

the popping is a release of air from the joint fluid.

Closed Thread