It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• left buttock numb when sitting

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
    bg77
    (male)

bg77 HB User
    left buttock numb when sitting

Starting around Friday, my left buttock, closer to the center, has been getting numb almost immediately upon sitting. It's fine when I stand or lie down, but when I sit it gets tingly then almost a burn/numbness that I feel.

The only way I can avoid it when sitting is to sit up very straight and almost even straighten my back up and slightly forward (not sure the visual is accurate here). It's on the same side that I keep my wallet in my back pocket on if that matters and I tend to slouch. I have an office job.

It literally goes away almost immediately upon standing. I also have a feeling of tightness in the lower left front/side abdomen area today.

Last edited by bg77; 08-02-2010 at 09:33 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: left buttock numb when sitting

Sounds like the sciatic nerve is being pressed on while sitting....and yes...your wallet is probably the culprit.

If you do some searches on it, I'm sure you'll find lots of info.

Do you see a chiropractor at all?

Anything for me that presses on nerves where pants or related items sit causes numbness for me as well.

Once sensitive...always sensitive. You'll have to find solutions such as a smaller wallet or change pockets.
    q

Last edited by quincy; 08-02-2010 at 09:57 AM.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
    caring12
    (female)

caring12 HB Usercaring12 HB User

sounds like sciatica neve. it happens with age and time. try to sit up straignt and exercise your legs and see a dr. try adding some support like a pillow or rolled up shirt to your back when you sit.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:32 AM   #4
    bg77
    (male)

bg77 HB User

The best match I can find is piriformis syndrome as there is also muscle tightness and some pain on the side of my hip. Can this be bilateral? I sometimes get it in the right side but nowhere near as bad.

Also I have occasional bouts of tailbone pain but haven't had that in a while.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
    caring12
    (female)

caring12 HB Usercaring12 HB User

i had this off an on but to be honest mine was a loss of potassium from a kidney problem then i had several female gyno issues. since i got dx and treated most of the problems have gone. i would get pain in my tailbone at night. would wake me up had it for years. big toe would go numb driving pins and needles feeling. i do not recommend taking potassium though unless you are checked.taking to much can cause heart problem. mine was too low. it can affect your muscles. but it can be and often is back spine or sciatic problems. the nerve get pinched as you sit. try sitting liess and see a dr.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:28 AM   #6
    bg77
    (male)

bg77 HB User

Mine feels fine now, actually.

Closed Thread