It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• nose bleeds

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-10-2001, 05:28 AM   #1
    kid16

kid16 HB User
    nose bleeds

hey i was just wondering what causes nose bleeds and is ther nething i can do or take to prevent them occuring?? would hayfever tablets help prevent them?? is there nething i can do ??

thanx!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2001, 11:41 PM   #2
    Christine VR

Christine VR HB User
    Re: nose bleeds

I think the first question would be how often are you getting them? Humidity and changes in the weather cause them for a lot of people, but if you are getting them all the time I would see a doctor.

Old 07-17-2001, 12:04 AM   #3
    Unregistered

I don't know about you, but I get them during the summer. My doc says that it has to do with the nose being dry inside. He suggested putting some vaseline in your nose to keep it moist. Just rub a lil bit every morning, and see if it helps

Old 07-24-2001, 07:33 PM   #4
    littlebit

littlebit HB User

hello i used to get nose bleeds alot. my nose would dry out and bleed. sometimes my nose would hurt before it would even bleed. sometimes i would have to go to the doctors to get it to stop bleeding. i find that a nasal spray that just mosturises the nose works. you can get it over the counter at the drug store for a few bucks.

Old 07-27-2001, 05:17 PM   #5
    Unregistered

my doc told me that the nose bleeds because it is dry, and can crack. He advised me to put vaseline in and around my nose. The theory is taht it is the same as dry or cracked lips in the winter. It will moisten it.

Old 08-09-2001, 10:30 AM   #6
    Cindy0kay

Cindy0kay HB User

Most often nosebleeds are caused by excessive dryness.
    Try using saline spray several times a day to add moisture. Use a humidifier in your home and add moisture to the air you breath.....especially your bedroom where you sleep at night.

Old 08-09-2001, 05:58 PM   #7
    Robert2

Robert2 HB User

The previous suggestion are definite possibilities. But, for a few people, there are other causes. First, do you use a lot of asprin, motrin or any medicine which is also a blood thinner. Blood thinners can make you bleed more easily. If I use asprin for more than a couple days, I often get a nose bleed.

Do you live at a high altitude, like in the city of Denver, Colorado. Because, the air pressure is much lower, people with thin membranes in their noses tend to get frequent nose bleeds. The air at high altitudes tends to be very dry also.

There some people who have veins in their noses very close to surface membrane. There are allot of capilaries in your nose. When they are very close to the surface, they can burst rather easily. They don't lose enough blood to be dangerous, just very messy. A good indication that you have that problem is that you often get a nose bleed when you bend over to tie your shoes. You get nose bleeds when the weather changes. You get nose bleeds if you even bump your nose a little.

The good news is that there are few nose bleed problems that cannot be permanantly cured with modern medicine. It's rather simple procedure. Your doctor might do it in his office.

So, if your nose bleeds are a chronic problem and it's not because you get into allot of fights, see you doctor. In the mean time, use a saline nose spray to keep the membranes in your nose moist.

Closed Thread