It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• pain in lungs

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-20-2001, 01:48 AM   #1
    lung7793

lung7793 HB User
    pain in lungs

Hi I'm 19/m, a smoker, and mildly asthmatic. Occasionally I get a sharp pain at a fixed point in my lungs when breathing in, usually deeply. It seems to come on randomly, and doesn't happen frequently. It remains for up to a half hour when it appears, and the pain is relative to how much air I take in. Sometimes when this happens there is a "duplicate" of the pain at the same time in my shoulder. I've asked around and a couple of other people I know get this too (they are both smokers incidentally), so i'm sure this is a common phenomonon, I just want to know what it is. If anyone knows, please let me know. thanks alot

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2001, 06:25 AM   #2
    Robert2

Robert2 HB User
    Re: pain in lungs

Think of your lungs as a latex balloon. It's soft and very pliable. When inflated, it expands evenly. When the air is let out, it contracts to it's original size.

Now, inflate the balloon, cover it with spray paint and let it dry. Now, let the air out. Notice how it gets all crinkled and crunchy. It doesn't return to its orignal shape. It looks kind of ugly.

Basically, that's what the tar from cigarettes does to the inside of your lungs. It coats the aveoli and prevents them from expanding and contracting. They get crunchy and nerves get pinched causing pain. When this condition becomes bad enough, it's call emphasema. Your lungs will be irritated and you'll get to hack and cough allot. The nerve in your shouldard is complimentary to the one in your lung. It probably shares a nerve path.

You are beginning to pay the price for smoking. You still have time to change your mind.

Closed Thread