It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• ganglion cysts

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-25-2001, 07:39 AM   #1
    sjohnson67

sjohnson67 HB User
    ganglion cysts

was diagnosed 1 year ago with a ruptured disc c5-6. Dr at that time ordered a series of epidural steroid injections. I had a severe reaction to these injections including thrush, sinus infection, numbness in hands, feet and other symptoms. My hands stayed numb for quite a while and ever since the feeling came back I have severe pain in my hands and wrists whenever I do anything such as driving. Anything involving grip. Last friday I woke up with this huge lump on the top of my wrist which got more painful each day until I went to the ER last night. The doctor said I have a Ganglion Cyst and it needs to be surgically removed. Could it be possible that this cyst has arisen ultimately because of the reaction I had to the injections. Any replies are appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2001, 11:00 AM   #2
    sdp
    Veteran
    (male)

sdp HB User
    Re: ganglion cysts

I have no idea what may have caused your cyst. I had a ganglion cyst on my wrist about 15 years ago. The doctor drained my cyst with a needle and syringe. When you mention surgery, it seems more invasive than necessary. You might want to ask your doctor about it.

Old 05-25-2001, 04:51 PM   #3
    Aussie Azalea

Aussie Azalea HB User

I have one that is sometimes very painful. I went to a surgeon to find out more. He said it can be surgically removed. I am going to wait a while. I am too scared of surgery for this. It doesn't hurt that bad yet. He also said that in the "Old Days" before people would go to the doctor to have them removed, the persons arm would be stretched out with the cyst on the upper side, someone else would smash it with a hard back book. I don't have a date for his "Old Days"... I guess they did the best they could with what they knew.

Old 05-29-2001, 10:16 PM   #4
    judibears

judibears HB User

I just saw your post and it has been 5 days since you posted. How is the cyst feeling now? Is it protruding? I really don't know whether the shots you had had to do with it or not. If I remember correctly ganglion's are some sort of build up, but I can't remember of what. I think they appear in people who use their wrist a lot in their work. But I'm not sure of that because I had my first one as a teen. I was on asprin therapy for 2 years but was not told if that was why I developed it. I had it removed and was told there was a 50/50 chance of it re-developing in which it did 5 yrs later, I had it removed again. It is back again but very slight that it doesn't cause pain unless I accidently bang it on something.This one is small and on the side of the wrist. Also, I was never given an option to have it drained by a needle, I think it might depend on the consistancy of the cyst. Mine were very hard. Let me know if you need any more info on the procedure. Best wishes, Judi

Old 05-30-2001, 08:12 AM   #5
    sjohnson67

sjohnson67 HB User

Thank you for your replies here is an update. I was given a splint to wear at the emergency room that covers the entire forearm. So, I have worn it almost all the time and the wrist itself does not hurt so bad, now my whole arm hurts. The lump itself is very much still there, but it is very hard, not soft like I thought cysts are. It is supposedly a pocket of fluid that builds up from excessive use of the particular area. I do not have an appt. for the dr. yet I am still waiting for the insurance co. to call. This of course had to happen at the start of a 3 day weekend. Supposed to hear something today. I will let you know what they decide to do as it is ultimately up to them. Thanks again for the replies.

Old 05-30-2001, 08:09 PM   #6
    judibears

judibears HB User

Good luck, keep us posted. Judi

Closed Thread