It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• stiff knuckle joints

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-23-2001, 03:58 PM   #1
    lee-ann

lee-ann HB User
    stiff knuckle joints

hello all,

lately I have been waking up with severely stiff knuckle joints in my hands. It seems rather strange and I havn't been doing anything different with my hands. Does anyone perhaps know what this could be as its rather disturbing.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2001, 11:13 AM   #2
    Copper
    Inactive

Copper HB User
    Re: stiff knuckle joints

Hi lee-ann, don't want to frighten you, but have you had yourself checked for osteoarthritis? Onset sometimes manifests in this way.

Hope I'm wrong!

------------------
    Copper
    Let Miracles Replace all Grievances

Old 04-25-2001, 01:04 PM   #3
    lee-ann

lee-ann HB User

hello Michael,

The thing is I am only 29. Does it still make sense then???? And what is it anyway??? A form of arthritis??? I have also noticed now that it is more in my left hand. (I am right-handed and dont use my left hand for much)

It is also only on waking up that it aches...strange.

Thanks so much for the help. I really appreciate it.

Take care

Old 04-25-2001, 05:05 PM   #4
    Robert2

Robert2 HB User

Arthritis is possible at any age. But, there are a number of other possibilities. It could be tendonitis. It could be caused by carpal tunnel syndrom. It could be the result of weight lifting improperly.

The bottom line is that there are so many possibilities that it's not worth speculating and worrying about any partcular thing. You need to see your family doctor to really find out what's wrong.

In the mean time, you can try a couple things. Try to keep your hands extra warm at night by wearing mittens to bed. In the morning, if your hands stiff, fill the bathroom sink with water that is as warm as you can tolerate. Hold your hands under water and work your fingers. The heat causes the capillaries in your hands to open up. This brings more blood to your joints which can help them heal. Keep your hands in the warm water for five to ten minutes.

You might find that asprin or motrin will give you relief. For the best effect, maintain a theraputic dose in your blood stream by taking the medicine at regular intervals. Always take asprin or motrin with food or milk.

SEE YOUR DOCTOR

Old 04-26-2001, 02:47 AM   #5
    lee-ann

lee-ann HB User

thanks Robert2,

thats very kind of you and yes I will certainly see my doctor. Take care!!!!!

Old 04-26-2001, 10:39 AM   #6
    cutenbrat
    Inactive

cutenbrat HB User

Do you crack your knuckles? That can cause pain for I'm 20 and get pains from it.
    God Bless.

Old 04-26-2001, 11:30 AM   #7
    lee-ann

lee-ann HB User

no i dont but thanks for your interest. Its just bizzare that its only in the left hand. The joints dont seem loose like my right hand, but stiff and achy when I flex them. I am beginning to wonder if I lifted something in an awkward position with my left hand because it doesn't make sense otherwise.

thanks again and take care

Closed Thread