It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Nasal Sores and Tickly Throat.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
    megamuel
    (male)

megamuel HB Usermegamuel HB User
    Nasal Sores and Tickly Throat.

Wasn't sure where to post this so I'll just go for it in the general health forum.

Ok, so a few weeks ago I developed some sores inside one nostril. This nostril would become sore and blocked. On blowing my nose I would get some thick crusty snot (sorry!), some scabs, and also some blood. I have also been having lots of phlegm, especially in the morning. I've been trying not to aggravate the area too much but I have not been able to shake these sores after maybe three weeks or so of them being there. Anyway, last night I could feel the irritation travelling to the back of my nose (nasal cavity?) and didn't feel too great so took an early night. I woke up this morning with a sore throat which is VERY tickly. It was tickling so bad that I would cough and it would make me gag and nearly vomit. As a result I had to call in sick for work - I work in a pub so its probably not the best advert to customers! I've also been having a strange bubbling sensation in my oesophagus. I can force it out with a burp but it is very uncomfortable.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause these symptoms and what I can do to alleviate them? I've been having heartburn fairly regularly now for a few months, mainly in the mornings, and worried this could be the cause or at least worsen the symptoms but I'm not sure. I don't really know what causes the heartburn. I work late in the pub and will have a pint at the end of my shift and them some food when I get home, but its a while before I go to bed so I doubt that is the cause. I also take melatonin as I don't sleep well. Originally I thought this could be causing the heartburn but then I read somewhere that melatonin could actually be good for heart burn so again, I'm not sure.

If anyone could offer me any help/advice it would be most gratefully received as this is really starting to bother me now and I am dreading work tomorrow.

Thanks,

Megamuel.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Nasal Sores and Tickly Throat.

it sounds like what I had in the spring...and it lasted 5 weeks.
    I do have asthma, so it definitely exacerbated those symptoms...and the cough was horrible.

I would suggest that the sores in your nose be treated with a combo of saline spray, Sudafed to help open your sinuses, expectorant (guaifenesin) to help loosen mucus and phlegm, and some sort of salve for your nose sores such as fucidin. They might be cold sores if you get them...so something like Zovirax might help...but those wouldn't last for 3 weeks usually.

Once the virus stops, the sores should heal. If they bleed, a kleenex with a decongestant spray squirted on a kleenex and that shoved up your nostril will help stop the bleeding.

Drink LOTS of water, make sure you're getting enough vitamin C and A and zinc through foods or maybe supplements. Do you take enough vitamin D?
    L. Lysine 1000mg twice a day can help during the cold, but look that up to make sure of the dosage.

Regarding sleep, L. Theanine might help.

I used Ricola to sooth my throat during the day and sometimes at night to sleep. I like the oval losenges, never the ones with artificial sweetener.

REgarding reflux, Zantac helps me...I take it at night, but used to take it a half hour before breakfast and at bedtime. 150mg.

I feel for you....but drink as many liquids as you can..lots of water!

Of course, after saying all this, you should go to the doc and at the very least get the sores in your nose swabbed.

Keep us posted as to how you're doing.

quincy

Old 10-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

It sounds like you might have seasonal allergies. That will plug you up and cause the phlegm running down your throat. You could try taking a good antihistamine/decongestant to see if it helps at all.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
    megamuel
    (male)

Thanks for the help ladies.

ibake&pray, I tried a antihistamine tonight and it hasn't seemed to have any effect so I think I can rule allergies out.

quincy, thanks for your long list of remedies! I'm actually trying to cut down the amount of medications I use as they seem to be aggravating my heartburn, which I am thinking more and more could be the cause of all this, or at least adding to it.

I called my doctor on Thursday morning but I can't get an appointment until Monday afternoon. Very annoying, I'll probably be better by then!

Old 10-23-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Monday is very quick for an appointment, sucks that it's over the weekend.

Please ask for the sores to be swabbed.

Reflux won't cause the sores in your nose.

Do you have any other health issues such as inflammatory bowel disease?

What meds are you on for reflux?
    q

Last edited by quincy; 10-23-2010 at 11:06 AM.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
    megamuel
    (male)

Just to update on this - I've been to the doctors and I was prescribed some steroid spray for my nose and some lansoprazole for my heartburn. I've been taking them and the sores in my nose have nearly gone and it doesn't feel so blocked and my heartburn seems under control. However, this itch deep in my throat and the cough just won't go. It is ok in the day and not a problem but at night and first thing in the morning its really bad. Not necessarily when I'm lying down. The itch is below my Adams apple, in the dip at the top of the chest. It doesn't go no matter how much I cough or no matter what I take. It sometimes feels like there is some liquid trapped there or something. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? Its really starting to bother me now and its ruining my sleep. I will go back to the doctors once I've taken the lansoprazole for a while longer but until then, any ideas anyone????

Cheers!

Old 11-11-2010, 02:17 PM   #7
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

oh yeah, I can realte. It could be a result from post nasal drip, but I've found that changing toothpastes and drinking enough water and depending on what I've eaten has helped a lot.

Use a tongue scraper as well to get most of the residual toothpaste off your tongue and definitely brush your tongue well. Rinse, gargle with water and I hope that it improves.

I've been through many toothpastes, and the one at this point I can use is the Crest 3D whitening. It rinses well out of my mouth.
    Not to say you have to try that one, but it could be a consideration to experiment with toothpaste.

Great your nasal sores have improved.
    q

Closed Thread