It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• "Claw" hands?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
    gosprint
    (male)

gosprint HB User
    "Claw" hands?

Wondering if anybody has ever experienced this:

When I get the flu I get pins and needles in my hands and feet. My fingers and hands turn inwards giving the appearance of a claw.

I'm not dehydrated when this happens. The episode lasts about 15 minutes and then the hands go back to normal.

I had flu symptoms (temperature and cold/achy) but did not vomit or have diarrhea.

I've had this happen about 4 times over the last 8 years. The 1st time was definitely the result of drinking water out of an old water bottle. The others have come when I got the flu.

Any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
    sjb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
    Re: "Claw" hands?

Hi did you overbreathe with the flu during coughing spells? Also have you seen a neurologist?

Old 12-02-2010, 06:40 AM   #3
    gosprint
    (male)

gosprint HB User

Not quite sure what you mean by "overbreathe".

I was definitely breathing funny but I think that was because I didn't want to vomit.

Why should I see a neurologist?

Old 12-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
    sjb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Well sometimes they educate a person to think that sometimes if the hands do involuntary things that it can be a nervous system difficulty. An MRI could check to be sure nothing else is causing this besides breathing a bit too fast.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Sjb is on to something. When you breathe too rapidly(hyperventilating) like you might do when you have the flu and are sick to your stomach, you get a build up of carbon dioxide in the blood. That in turn makes you light headed and gives you spasms....the first place they show tends to be the hands. Your hands "claw up". Vomiting and dehydration speed up the process.

Cure? Breathing into a paper bag to get the CO2 level back up. Next time it happens, try it. If it works, you have your answer.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I shouldn't answer questions when I'm sick...I get confused too!

You get too much oxygen from over breathing and a loss of Co2 which results in alkalosis.

Time for me to go lie down. Wish someone knew what was making me sick!

Jen

Closed Thread