It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Afrin and saline

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
    akajam
    (female)

akajam HB User
    Afrin and saline

Hello, I'm new here - I googled Afrin rebound and found this site and lots of help although (of course) no sure cures for Afrin rebound. Since I've had the problem since 1983 and have permanently congested nasal passages, I thought I might contribute something to the general body of knowledge about Afrin and rebound.

I've been to doctors, tried most of the cures suggested, and am resigned to just dealing with it. Some afflictions just don't go away, so it's a question of management.

1) When I absolutely must decongest, I go to Afrin, but I use it diluted 1 part Afrin to 15 parts saline - it works just as well as pure Afrin. Still results in rebound, but I'm not spending as much on the Afrin.

2) For saline - I make my own isotonic saline: 2T table salt dissolved in 1 gal of boiled water. (I make a qt at a time and keep it in a plastic bottle - fill an empty Afrin bottle with it and you have an endless supply).

BTW, this saline is also great for washing wounds. You know how it stings when you put a fresh cut or scrape under water? Well, rinsing with saline doesn't hurt at all because it's the same isotonic salinity as your cells.

So, to manage the permanent rebound: I use saline a lot to clean out my nose, use Breathe Right (or the cheaper brand at Target) every night to sleep, and when I absolutely need to use the diluted Afrin, I enjoy the temporary relief with giddy euphoria ;-) and mentally gear up for a couple of nights sleeping sitting up and mouth breathing before everything goes back to normal (which is permanently a little congested).

Does anyone have any other tips for managing the rebound?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Afrin and saline

Have you tried Nasalcrom? It was invented to get people off Afrin. Worked well for my sister.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
    akajam
    (female)

akajam HB User

No - is it Rx?

Old 05-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Nope - OTC.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
    akajam
    (female)

akajam HB User

Thanks - I'll try it!

Old 05-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
    max966
    (male)

max966 HB User

I'm glad you already know the value of salt, AKAJAM. And the absolute best way to get off ALL MEDS and even avoid surgeries for nasal issues is to visit your local 'salt room' (if you happen to live in one of the few American cities that already have one). Salt rooms have been used in much of E. Europe and Russia for decades and for very good reason. They work so well that drugs, doctors and ERs are needed MUCH LESS. (which is one reason that our FOR PROFIT health care system is not going to embrace them any time soon. But countries with nationalized health care know well how they save the system money) OK, I'll admit that I am a salt room owner/operator, but in the months that we've been open we have been very impressed with the progress our clients have experienced. Research "salt rooms" and if your doctor discounts their effectiveness (without having any experience with this completely natural therapy), then he isn't worth his salt... (frankly they don't like it at all when you leave without a new prescription, and the more side effects the better, because you'll need many more prescriptions later on to counter those, etc.) (sorry for venting here)

Old 05-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #7
    akajam
    (female)

akajam HB User

Salt rooms? I've never heard of that!

I do love salt - I eat a lot of it, especially the specialty sea salts and designer salts. Like most people, my blood pressure is completely unaffected by salt intake. Sometimes straight salt (in tiny amounts) - it satisfies the salt craving without the added calories you get with crackers and pretzels ;-)

Medically, saline solution is extremely useful and I've had it in my household for years. I was really pleased several years ago when I discovered how easy it is to make your own.

So what happens in a salt room?

Old 05-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
    max966
    (male)

max966 HB User

The main health-giving effect in a modern salt room is produced by a "Halogenerator" or salt generator, which was developed by Russian scientists in the early 90s. It pulverizes a pure grade of salt into tiny breathable particles that can reach the deepest portion of the lungs and other air passages (like the sinuses). The salt is also heated to produce a high concentration of negative ions. The benefits are too numerous to list, but the most common ailments treated include asthma, sinusitis, allergies, sleep disorders... I recommend looking at speleocenter.ca for lots of info. This salt room in Toronto is one of the more experienced ones in N. America and the owner has shared plenty with us in St. Louis.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
    akajam
    (female)

akajam HB User

Very interesting! Thanks, I'll look into it further.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #10
    Canyondweller
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

Have you tried any of the steroid sprays or the antihistamine spray. They are prescription but work very well? I like Veramyst which is a steroid spray and then I also use the NeilMed Sinus rinse when my sinuses get bad similar to your saline rinse but I find I like it with a buffer like baking soda. Am going to start making my own but was told to use non iodine salt. I think the antihistamine spray is called Astelin or something like that. I does work well.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #11
    akajam
    (female)

akajam HB User

Gosh, I gave up so many years ago that I've never heard of all these new solutions. I will make a list and try them all. And yes, non-iodized salt is always better.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:30 AM   #12
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The sinus rinses - like a neti pot or NeilMed - are very good as well. my sister wears by once before bed and once in the morning!

Old 05-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #13
    JumperOK
    (male)

JumperOK HB UserJumperOK HB UserJumperOK HB UserJumperOK HB UserJumperOK HB UserJumperOK HB User

I've been using Afrin for a few months now and wished I could get off it. How is Nasalcrom different from Afrin?

Old 05-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #14
    Canyondweller
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

You have to get off that stuff, really. I have seen people go thru the worst problems after becoming addicted to Afrin and others meds like it. Even had to go thru therapy for a year in one case and it was as bad as any drug withdrawal. There are other ways to do it. Please see a doctor and try some of the newer things. It is possible and if you don't you are going to mess yourselves up for life.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #15
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JumperOK View Post
    I've been using Afrin for a few months now and wished I could get off it. How is Nasalcrom different from Afrin?
    Non addictive and no rebound effect.

Closed Thread