It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Wisdom Teeth Recovery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #1
    Telmith
    (male)

Telmith HB User
    Wisdom Teeth Recovery

Hello,

I have a few concerns lately ever since getting all four of my wisdom teeth removed on Thursday.

The first is about my ability to eat various foods: I'm aware of the traditional smoothies, mashed potatoes, yogurt, etc but my main concern is when I can start to eat other "normal" foods without being concerned of a dry socket. I do rinse my mouth with saltwater 6-7 times daily as well. I literally have almost been starving, because I'm not only too scared of getting a dry socket, but I don't know if I'm allowed to eat other things by the fourth day.

The second concern is my stomach. I'm currently taking hydrocodone, ibuprofen, and clindamycin. Ever since yesterday, my stomach has been KILLING me. It literally has these weird on and off moments that don't feel like cramps. I stopped taking ibuprofen and hydrocodone, even though I would take them normally on a well-filled stomach. Is the stomach pain due to my antibiotic, me not eating, or something else?

All help would be appreciated; I just really need some insight please.

Last edited by Telmith; 08-15-2011 at 09:41 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Telmith:
    123Laura (08-20-2011)
    The Following User Says Thank You to Telmith For This Useful Post:
    123Laura (08-20-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
    Re: Wisdom Teeth Recovery

Your t ummy issues is probably due to the antibiotic sitting in an empty stomach. That's why a lot of htem say take with food. The easiest way of finding out what you can eat is to pick up the phone and call your oral surgeon and ask what you should be eating. It will only take a minute and you will have your answer. Don't worry about appearing anxious, they get calls like this all the time. They know that people can't remembre everthing. It's no big deal.

Hope you heal up quick!

The following user gives a hug of support to ibake&pray:
    123Laura (08-20-2011)
    Old 08-18-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
    Re: Wisdom Teeth Recovery

I agree that most likely your stomach pain has to do with the medication and I'm sure if you are hungry, that doesn't help it either! I know people who even get this way just from over the counter medication on an empty stomach.

I started carefully eating solid foods after a few days after my surgery, but I stopped when it was uncomfortable. I remember trying to eat a bite of cheesecake (minus the crust) and even that seemed to bother me, but I seemed to be okay with soft noodles. Something like macaroni should be okay once you feel up to it, and if you chew, it's simple enough to even use the front teeth. I would avoid something with tiny bits of pieces that could easily get lodged into the back of your mouth, and definitely keep cleaning and use a syringe after eating to clean any debris left from the food. Some of my stitches had popped right after the surgery and I had a little bit of an opening that I had to be careful with. After I was able to fully eat regular food again, I almost got some chicken stuck back there, so I would be careful with meats. Something like lunch meat would probably be the best to start with since it's smoother.

As far as the dry sockets, my main advice is to just keep an eye on how you feel and call immediately if you ever suspect them. From what others have told me, medicine has advanced a lot over the years with treating dry sockets and it's fairly simple and quick to treat this. My mom thought the pain was normal back when it happened to her (she had the surgery I'd say around 10 years ago) and she let it go for about a week, so it was awful for her.

Also, I don't think they gave my husband a syringe to use when he got his removed, so I went and bought one for him. It was extremely helpful in preventing dry sockets by directing the water right to the area that needed to be cleaned and clear!

Closed Thread