It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Mystery diagnosis (having weird symptoms for a long time)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
    Nd2200
    (male)

Nd2200 HB User
    Mystery diagnosis (having weird symptoms for a long time)

Hey all,

I've been having weird symptoms for the past 6-8 months now and I still haven't got anything clear. After something clears up its always something new that comes.

First off I suffered a big anxiety/panic attacks/some depression episode this past summer after a personal event that occurred. It took about 5 months for me to get my mind right and the symptoms of anxiety and panic attacks to finally clear up. These symptoms included numbness and tingling going down my arms, left foot drop (peripheral neuropathy), and your usual heart symptoms of rapid heart beat, trouble breathing, etc. I had a cervical MRI to check for any neck damage to see if that was causing the numbness and tingling, but that came back ok. I had a heart echo also to check my heart after some abnormal finding in an EKG in the hospital, but that turned out to be normal as well. I was perfectly healthy before the big episode.

These past two months I've been feeling weaker and weaker for some reason and my joints are extremely achy now over my whole body. For example, my whole right arm is in pain the next day after simply shooting a basketball around for a couple of hours and this never used to happen. My right arm is actually kind of stiffer than my left arm and it seems like my right hand is wanting to claw. There is no strength difference in the arms just symptoms mentioned previously.

My arms and legs fall asleep a lot easier now as well and I can't even relax in some positions anymore because it causes my arms to begin tingling and going numb.

The most recent thing I've had was a very bad sore throat that didn't go away for about a month and a week. I presented with tender and enlarged lymph nodes on my left side of the neck and was given antibiotic treatments for this. I was given a strep culture test and a mono test and both came back negative. The first round didn't work so I went on to a z-pack and that finally cleared up the sore throat. I, however, have been left with pain going down my whole left side of the neck which is evident following a burp or if I feel around the area. I don't know if its lymph nodes or the carotid artery. I've also been having pulsating pain in my left groin that's been coming and going for about 2 weeks now and I haven't done any exercise in the past 2 months so that couldn't have caused it.

The most recent blood test I had was a WBC count and it was just slightly elevated; the doctor said it was probably because I was fighting off the infection that caused my sore throat. I just feel a lot more fatigued, I've been having difficulty getting an erection as well, and my joints are extremely achy as mentioned previously (laying on my chest causes a lot of bone pain around the chest area for example again).

No weight loss, loss of appetite, or night sweats. Fears or concerns that I have based off of symptoms: lymphoma, RA, lupus, MS. I know anxiety can cause a lot of symptoms but I'm way over this stage and all these recent symptoms showing up are completely new and I'm not really freaking out about them compared to how I used to with anxiety so I highly doubt its the anxiety causing everything.

The most perplexing thing was that I was 100% healthy before. That's what's been bothering me the most. Any advice, help, or tips would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: Mystery diagnosis (having weird symptoms for a long time)

I would suspect that it is anxiety. Yes, anxiety can cause every single symptom you mentioned and a lot more...even temporary blindness and paralysis. What disease can produce in the body the mind can produce as well.

But I would suggest you get a complete workup for deficiencies such as potassium or calcium or any of the minerals and also the vitamins. when we are stressed, we don't exactly eat right and that can really mess up your electrolytes and vitamin balance. So a blood test to make sure you are eating right would really help. Many of your symptoms can come from those too(I take Vit D, calcium and potassium daily as I am deficient and had those aches and pains too). But don't rush out and start taking something until you've been tested.

If those come back okay, then I'd strongly suggest some therapy to help you deal with the anxiety/panic that you may still be suffering from. Could be post traumatic stress disorder or a generalized anxiety disorder. Depends on what your personal problem was this summer but we all react differently. Perhaps inside, you still hurt and your body is sending you a notice to deal with it..........you still hurt. We all have major problems in our lives. Getting some therapy is no different than asking a doc to help you with some high blood pressure problems.

But as someone with RA, you don't have any of the signs of having it. So relax on that one.

Jenny

Closed Thread