It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Pancoast syndrome/tumor?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
    JamesEM
    (male)

JamesEM HB User
    Exclamation Pancoast syndrome/tumor?

I have had issues in the past nothing diagnosed because I cant get medical free here nor do I have the funds to just go into a doctors office right now,

I have recently within a couple of months started having shoulder pain, but as days progress it has moved down my arm down to my ring and pinky finger, tho the pain hurts alot sometimes not all the times, it ranges from what I would say inside my shoulder or part way into my back shoulder area I cant quite explain it, I dont really want to jump to the belief that I may have cancer. are there any other things that may lead to these same symptoms?

if you have any questions about pains and locations when I do this or that I will answer anything if it will lead me to an answer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
    JamesEM
    (male)

JamesEM HB User
    Re: Pancoast syndrome/tumor?

just posting an update, I am getting more pain in my shoulder down my arm into fingers. my same side of my face mostly my eye is starting to squint or sag, im trying to get myself to a free clinic for help but as I asked before is there anything else this could be?

Old 04-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Pancoast syndrome/tumor?

i am just wondering james if the stated in your post dx is actually what you have truely been dxed with, or is this something you 'think' you may have? it is really important to know this for certain since that "droopy eye' that you are dealing with, only if you just DO have the pancoast is more than likely called having 'horners syndrome'. it is part of the sympathetic nervous system being impacted BY the pancoast tumor(that SNS simply does also run thru that chest area too where the pancoast tumor would be). is the pupil in that eye actually smaller than the other one and non reactive to changes in light? any unusual sweating patterns in one side of your face, as in stoppage of sweating while the opposite side still IS sweating under conditions that would simply cause facial sweat?

i have horners from my sympathetic being damaged during a spinal cord surgery where they somehow hit my SNS chain in my spinal cord. the pain and the specific area where you are having the finger involvement is governed at the c 8/or ulnar nerve level(it innervates the entire pinkie and the half of that ring finger closest to the pinkie side). you could possibly have some type of issue going on within your c 8 nerve level in your spinal like stenosis surrounding that particular nerve or a herniation or a few other possibles that can impact the spinal nerves too.

the interesting thing here tho is that the sympathetic chain actually pops out from within the neck and into that spinal level right AT that c 8 nerve level too. so it 'could' be being impacted there as well. this was where MY SNS was hit during a surgery, right AT where it shows itself at c 8, then that symp chain actually runs down the rest of pretty much the rest of the spinal column going into and out of the spinal cord at each and every vertebral level.

but it is always possible to actually have more than one issue going on at the very same time too. so you could have the pancoast and an issue at around that c 8, or there just 'could be' some type of real connection. that horners syndrome IS listed as also being triggered by just HAVING that pancoast too. just look up 'horners syndrome'.

are you having ANY other symptoms like neck pain along with your shoulder pain? i do have to look up just the exact way that symp runs thru the chest area and pancoast tumor to see if there just 'is' any possible connection between that shoulder pain you are having(which would be if spinal, much further up that c spine around c 4-5 and not at the c 8. thats the confusing part I need to find out. the rotator cuffs main top tendon that runs across the very top of that shoulder just also 'could be' a potential pain trigger as well if there are any rotator issues. that tendon is innervated by c 5. so there are a few different "possibles that i really wish you could be able to get tracked back to a real dx with further testing. have you tried contacting your states social services programs to see if there is ANY possible type of care that is usually a state funded type of ins? it's just as you are more than very likely aware, without certain types of real scans done, it is reallyhighly difficult to truely just 'pin down' what is generating your symptoms. ideally, just getting a good upper chest and c spine MRI(can all be done within one visit MRI) would really help tons in ruling in things or ruling them out, ya know?

but it seriously sounds like you have horners syndrome to me (horners is more of a symptom of, or result of damage/affectation of our symp nervous system). and possible c8 nerve involvement at some point/area and SNS involvement just given the symptomology here. **

okay, i just looked up the pancoast and i really CAN understand the "whys' in what you are feeling and dealing with here. since that tumor is simply at the apex of a lung, it easily CAN impact what areas you are experiencing your pain and symptoms. it sounds like you have alot of areas being impinged upon(your c 8-t1 level where that SNS starts or at the actual ganglion within the neck too) and it can generate problems with the spinal nerves as well. but your sympathetic nervous system simply being affected can generate a hoast of symptoms since it also governs soo freakin much inside our bodies. and the horners is there as well,which DOES sound positive from what you described. i know my SNS damage has generated a TON of insane symptoms and even a pain syndrome called RSD as well.

you really do need to try and find some way to be able to see a doc for testing and ongoing monitoring as well. as i said above, i really would try and see what you can possibly qualify for with ANY good state run, or possibley other options that may just be availiable to you with having a 'condition' that does need some better definition/monitoring just to see how far this has spread and what treatment options you may have availiable to you. hopefully something can be found to help you out with the financial stuff involved. **

Last edited by feelbad; 04-15-2012 at 11:08 AM. Reason: additional info

Closed Thread

Tags
    cancer, symptoms, syndrome, tumor