It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Right side pain for 3 months - multiple locations

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-05-2012, 06:14 AM   #1
    bluejay1
    (female)

bluejay1 HB User
    Right side pain for 3 months - multiple locations

For 3 months, I have been suffering from various pains in my right upper and lower abdomen, as well as nerve pain. It started as pain underneath my right rib accompanied by nausea and dyspepsia. I also had lower right pelvic pain and had been having worsening menstrual and PMS symptoms for months leading up to this. An ultrasound of my gallbladder, CT scan of pelvis/abdomen and blood test were all normal. I continued to have upper GI symptoms and lower right pelvic pain for a couple of weeks. GYN exam/pelvic and transvag ultrasound found ovarian cyst on my LEFT side but right side looked fine. I went back on the birth control pill to try and stabilize my hormones as I felt low progesterone/estrogen dominance may have been causing digestive issues and cyst.

Since then, I have had right sided pain that is worse in different locations during different weeks. When I first went back on the pill, I was so exhausted for 2 weeks that I couldn't function (I think the pill affected my thyroid). I had terrible sciatica pain down my right leg, as well as right groin pain. I also had nerve pain shooting across my right shoulder and into my right arm. During that time, my GI issues were not as bad. Then after a couple of weeks, the fatigue, groin pain and sciatica subsided and the pain below my rib returned though I wasn't particularly nauseated and what I ate didn't affect it one way or another. Then after another week or 10 days, I felt lower right back pain (right on the pubis bone) and was getting terribly painful upper back pains (below my right shoulder blade). After a week, the right lower back pain subsided but now I'm having excruciating upper back pain (lower right rib area in toward the spine) and the GI symptoms have returned - nausea, pain under right rib that extends downward a bit and feels more intestinal. I don't have insurance and can't afford to have more tests run right now. I know no one can advise me medically, but I'm wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this before?

My instinct when all this started was that it was hormone-related (I'm a 36 year old woman, no kids, normal weight and clean vegetarian diet). The fact that my symptoms seem to shift every 10-14 days suggested to me they were related to my menstrual cycle, and since I just went back on the pill a little over a month ago, I know there hasn't been time yet for my hormones to level out. But...there seems to be a lot of nerve and referred pain happening, as well as muscular spasming in my back and intestines, so I'm not sure if there might be something neurological going on as well? Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Right side pain for 3 months - multiple locations

Have you had a HIDA Scan? It tests for gb function. Below 35% or above 75% is considered non functioning. Also a chiropracter for your sciatica. You need to get that nerve released. I had an awful spell of it also and my chiro finally got everything back ike it belonged! What relief..

Old 04-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
    bluejay1
    (female)

bluejay1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    Have you had a HIDA Scan? It tests for gb function. Below 35% or above 75% is considered non functioning. Also a chiropracter for your sciatica. You need to get that nerve released. I had an awful spell of it also and my chiro finally got everything back ike it belonged! What relief..
    I haven't had a HIDA scan (mostly because I can't afford it right now since I'm uninsured and unemployed), though I agree it seems some of this pain is gallbladder-related. I'm also not keen on the idea of having my GB removed because I've heard so many people still have pain even after surgery. Chiropractor falls into the 'more than I can afford' category right now too unfortunately, but definitely good advice, thanks

Old 04-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Well, then. Eat as low a fat diet as you can. Do stretching exercises...nothing where you bring your knees to your chest at all! If you can hang from something - like an overhead bar - grasp it and hang as long as you can - stretching your toes to try and touch the ground.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
    Tkzmumi
    (female)

Tkzmumi HB User

Just wOndering if you found out what was causing your symptoms as I'm currently experiencing identical ones! Thankyou

Old 09-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
    Sgawron827
    (female)

Sgawron827 HB User

I am also experiencing all of this. I've been told I have ovarian cysts and the medicine hasn't helped for 6 months. I have nausea and pain when eating after eating and sometimes randomly. I had my appendix checked and it showed nothing. I'm 17 years old. And this is starting to interfere with my daily activities.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
    posh12
    (female)

posh12 HB User

Hi hiw r u r ufeeling better now? Actually i have the same symptom, i have ths dull aching pain on right flank,right abdomen,right groin and right shoulder.i was at ER3 days ago coz d pain become tingling and burning, CT scan revealed have kidney stone on left side of my kidney, they think i just passed the stone on right side, all my labs were normal. Right now im back to same pain again, i also dont have insurance and im so worried, and been spending alot going back in forth to doctors clinic, and 2 doctors think its UTi or kidney infection, i just want to have peace of mind and stop worryin

Old 03-30-2018, 02:44 PM   #8
    mrgdai
    (male)

mrgdai HB User

did any of you figure out what's wrong? I am male but i have almost identical symptoms. Started with upper right groin in the inguinal area, then right sciatic nerv in the hip. now after a sharp pain in the upper right abdomen area, i have right shoulder/neck sore that goes down my right arm to my pinky.

i've had multiple ultra sounds and CT with/without contrast and nothing. Only thing i can think of now is some chronic infection that doesnt show up in scans.

Reply Reply