It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Is this a flare?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
    anna0n1
    (female)

anna0n1 HB User
    Is this a flare?

I was diagnosed with indeterminate colitis in July 2012. I had severe diarrhea, 10-15 times a day. A colonoscopy was done and biopsies tested. My doctor is leaning more towards UC. It took 4 months to feel normal again. I am new to the message board, I am having symptoms of a flare I think but they are different. I cannot pass stool no matter how hard I try. (Ive tried fiber, laxatives, enemas, stool softeners and change in diet.) I have lower abdominal pain and horrible pain in the upper right abdomen that radiates to my back. Could this be a sign of a flare?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Is this a flare?

UC usually affects the rectum and descending/sigmoid colon causing diarrhea like you had before. I would wonder if you are having gallbladder trouble, with RUQ pain radiating to back. The lower abdominal pain may be from the constipation. Have you had intolerance to fried or greasy/fatty foods? I would see your Dr as this sounds unlike a flare of UC. You probably need an ultrasound of abdomen and some blood tests done.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:53 AM   #3
    anna0n1
    (female)

anna0n1 HB User

Thank you for your response. I went to my pcp last week and she ordered the ultra sound which came back negative. Is it still possible to have a gallbladder issue? I have an acidy stomach, sour taste in my mouth and have been dealing with hypothyroid for years. My bm’s are not light colored though. I do have continued pain on the right side that gets worse after eating, bloating, loss of appetite and sense of a full stomach all the time. Could an ulcer cause these symptoms as well? Any insight is really appreciated!

Old 04-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #4
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Yes you can have gall bladder problems with a negative ultrasound. Next would be a HIDA scan to check GB. Ulcers usually feel better after eating for an hour or two. Maalox or an antacid will give temporary relief for ulcers but not gall bladder pain. Ulcers are usually felt more in the upper center of stomach, and hurt when stomach is empty.Fatty or fried foods aggravate GB, spicy or acidic foods aggravate ulcers. Paying attention to what aggravates/relieves can help sort it out.

Reply Reply

Tags
    chron's, colitis, ibd