It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Extreme Unintentional Weightloss...

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
    LilGirl536
    (female)

LilGirl536 HB User
    Extreme Unintentional Weightloss...

Hi all -

I am 21 years old about 5'6" and was healthy at about 115-120 lbs. This past december I dropped to about 90 pounds and went gluten free (my mother is diagnosed Celiac), hoping that this would fix the severe weight loss, diarrhea, nausea, etc. It did well at first, and I quit running (I was training for a marathon before the weight loss), and have been eating as much as possible.

My weight got back to about 110, but then suddenly I am back to 100 lbs right now. I have always had on and off severe salt cravings, but have been having severe cravings for about the last 2 or so months. Also an insane thirst and slight increase in urine output. My fatigue is unreal, as well as horrible joint pain. I associated most of this to just being a student with no time on my hands, but as my weight has dropped back down, I have noticed I am really hungry all the time, but have no appetite, if that makes sense. Like starving, but the idea of eating makes me nauseous, and if I start eating, I'm full in seconds, though I normally force myself to eat. I have also been having severe insomnia.

I also have been getting sick extremely, extremely often. Since january I have been in-bed, miss class kind of sick for about 4 or so weeks, and struggling for about 4 more. I had the full blown flu, some kind of respiratory/sinus infection, and bronchitis.

The only medication I am currently on is Ritalin, but I have been taking it for years, and do not believe it has any part in these symptoms, as I still have them when I don't take the med. My doc has mentioned a lot of different possibilities, but my last lab work done by the gastro for my celiac symptoms showed no oddities in glucose or thyroid other than some borderline low/high numbers.

Any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Extreme Unintentional Weightloss...

You mention borderline glucose and thyroid results. Both diabetes and hyperthyroidism can cause weight loss and fatigue. The hyperthyroidism is often caused by autoimmune thyroiditis, Hashimoto's. It is characterized by high anti-thyroid antibody levels, which you probably have not had done, and low TSH, high T3, T4. It can cause dehydration too, with increased thirst. I think an endocrinologist would be helpful, for assessing thyroid, adrenal (Addison's), and other endocrine disorders. If that isn't possible, at least ask your PCP to start with anti-thyroid antibodies and a serum cortisol for screening. Normal results do not rule out Addisons, as sometimes more sensitive tests are needed to pick it up. Skin pigmentaion and low BP is not needed to consider Addison's. You have symptoms enough to warrant testing for it. Can you post your "borderline" results? Many Drs downplay results and call frankly abnormal ones borderline.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
    LilGirl536
    (female)

LilGirl536 HB User
    Re: Extreme Unintentional Weightloss...

Labs run 3/8 -

WBC: 8.3 (4-11)
    RBC count: 5.12 (3.8-5.2)
    Hemoglobin: 14.5 (11.7-15.7)
    Hemacrit: 42.1 (35-47)
    RDW: 14.2 (10-15)
    Sodium: 143 (133-144)
    Potassium: 4 (3.4-5.3)
    Chloride: 104 (94-109)
    Creatinine: 0.68 (0.52-1.04)
    SED rate: 2 (0-20)
    Ferritin: 14 (10-120)
    Iron: 24 (35-180) - was never notified about this.
    Iron Binding Cap: 381 (240-430)
    Iron Sat Index: 6 (15-46) - was never notified of this.
    Celiacs IgG: 1.5 (0-5.9)
    TSH: 0.88 (0.4-5)
    T4 Free: 1.15 (0.7-1.85)

Labs done yesterday:

WBC: 9.4 (4-11)
    Hemoglobin: 12.1 (11.7-15.7)
    Hematocrit: 37.4 (35-47)
    MCV: 84 (78-100)
    MCH: 27.2 (26.5-33)
    MCHC: 32.4 (31.5-36.5)
    % Immature Granulocytes: 0.4 (0-0.4)
    TSH: 0.96 (0.4-5)