It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• How low is dangerously low for iron levels? Are mine to low?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-16-2013, 03:49 AM   #1
    Impie
    (female)

Impie HB User
    How low is dangerously low for iron levels? Are mine to low?

I'm 17y.o female and I've been iron deficient for 3 known years now (was diagnosed 2010 I was 14) my my iron levels were at 8.5 then which wasn't much of a surprise because I suffered from heavy periods so I was put on iron tablets which I took twice a day and were eventually given stronger ones because they didn't seem to be doing the job. So for three years I suffered dizziness, hair loss, fatigue, palpitations and Loss of breath, but recently I discovered I had lost 12kgs since January this year (I now weigh 45kgs) so I went to get some blood tests done and my iron level is now at 6.2, now the weird thing about that is I've been taking iron tablets for three years and I haven't had a period for atleast 6 months due to the depo shot which stops them. So they shouldn't be getting lower?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: How low is dangerously low for iron levels? Are mine to low?

For some reason you are not absorbing the iron. One common cause for that is celiac disease from gluten sensitivity. I would ask to be checked for that. You can also try taking taking Vit C with the iron, which aids absorption. You should have a blood count done too to see if you are anemic. Your iron levels definitely should not be that low when taking iron, so absorption must be the issue. You should also get Vit B12, folate and Vit D levels checked, which may be deficient from lack of absorption also. All those can be supplemented., but the celiac possibility should definitely be explored.

Reply Reply

Tags
    anaemia, iron anemia, iron deficiency anemia, iron loss, weight loss