It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Red palms

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
    Mission2
    (female)

Mission2 HB User
    Red palms

I have been a daily drinker for 20 years. Never to get drunk, but as time went on I would have 3-4 vodkas. Never drank after dinner. Always worked, never had a hangover. The last year or so, my Alt and Ast were slightly elevated. If I stopped drinking for a month or so they would return to normal and I returned to my cocktails. I recently decided to quit. I have not had a drink in 10 weeks. Haven't missed it! I went to a personal lab after 4 weeks.
    Results:
    Protein total serum 7.5
    Albumin 4.6
    Bilirubin total 0.12
    Bilirubin direct 92
    Ast 27
    Alt 40
    Alt range was 0-32
    Ast range was 0-40

A couple weeks after this I went to Dr. To have blood pressure checked. She did not draw blood..I did not mention that I had done the above testing on my own.
    While in her office I noticed that I had blotchy palms. Just on the side where my little finger is. Right hand is worse than left. Probably wouldn't even think anything about left. It has been almost 3 weeks and it is still there. No burning. I feel perfectly fine. I am overweight 200 pounds and I am 5'5". I do have a belly. That is always where I carry my weight. I have we'll controlled blood pressure with medication. (tribenor). I also take wellbutrin.
    I have red more than I should about palmar erythmea and cirrosshis. Needless to say I am really scared. I plan to go back to personal labs for a recheck. I am supposed to go to doctor for routine blood work in the next few weeks.
    I know I drank too much. My MCV was elevated with blood work from the doctor over the past year. She never said anything, but I looked it up and I know it is alcohol related. My ast has never been higher than alt.
    I am having my first grandchild in a couple of weeks and I want to live. I never need another drink.
    Anyone have similar issues?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Red palms

If you want to know the status of your liver, an abdominal ultrasound may be better. You can have cirrhosis without elevated enzymes in blood. However, it shouldn't worsen if you keep off the alcohol and are careful with drugs that are toxic to liver, even excess Tylenol. A cirrhotic liver will appear smaller than normal and fibrotic (scarred) on US. Good for you for deciding to quit! Don't be fooled though by normal enzymes. You can lose half your liver cells before enzymes elevate, so that's no green light to drink again.

Reply Reply