It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• 2 1/2 year old Sore throat/ swolen lymph nodes in neck

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
    mike647
    (male)

mike647 HB User
    2 1/2 year old Sore throat/ swolen lymph nodes in neck

Hello, my daughter is 29 months old. A few days ago we took her to the doctor because she wasn't herself and had a fever. Upon examination, the doctor said her throat was very red and sore looking, and the lymph nodes in her neck were swollen. based on this she prescribed Amoxicillin. after a few days of the anti biotic, she seems much better, but administering the medicine is so difficult (she refuses to take it, so it has to be forced in her) that we went back to the doctor to see if there was another type of medication available. When we got back to the clinic, the doctor said her throat no longer looked sore, and that she now thinks it may have been viral. My daughters lymph nodes are still swollen, but her fever and red throat are gone.

The doctor did a swab and sent it to the lab, we will receive the results in a 2-3 days. Doc also felt her stomach, checked ears, listened to chest, checked weight, everything seemed fine.

Is it possible for her nodes to remain swollen for a short time after her throat seems healed? Just looking for a second opinion here. I should mention that she has also been having some diarrhea over the past 2 days, but otherwise she's not acting sick. she is eating, drinking, sleeping, urinating, etc. just fine.

Please offer some advise on this scenario.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: 2 1/2 year old Sore throat/ swolen lymph nodes in neck

Lymph nodes stay enlarged for awhile after the sore throat clears up. There are a few concerns however. Since she got a marked positive response to the antibiotics, I doubt it was viral, as viruses don't respond to antibiotics. The swab taken will be invalid since she was on antibiotics for 2 days before it was taken, so it is useless. Even though she seems ok now, 2 1/2 days of antibiotic therapy is inadequate, so in 2-3 day, I would bet she'll be sick again. Since you know it responds to Amoxicillin, I would ask for the chewable tablets instead of liquid. Most kids love the taste of Amox, but another Amox formula is Augmentin which also comes in liquid and chewable. I would hope the Dr would just call that in and not require another visit. Was a swab done the first time before antibiotics started?

Reply Reply

Tags
    diarreha, fever, lymph nodes, sore throat