HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   General Health (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/general-health/)
-   -   A chronic collection of bewildering, worrying symptoms of mine... (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/general-health/955426-chronic-collection-bewildering-worrying-symptoms-mine.html)

Complicatetdude 07-06-2013 12:02 AM

A chronic collection of bewildering, worrying symptoms of mine...

Any advice would be much appreciated. Ill be brief...my symptoms as a 19 year old, well built (but need to excercise,) 5"10, 180 lb kid are: fatigue, ESPECIALLY upon awakening and getting started, a mild tightness/soreness in the right mid back that worsens when breathing deeply or twisting (feels like behind the right lung (been going on for a year now,) palpitations (since a long time ago) and a sporadic, pounding heart beat that can be distractingly felt in my chest in bed, my back in a chair and my neck, gurgling in my left stomach upon breathing in deeply after eating a lot (seems to be new to this year), occasional small amount of bright red blood in toilet paper (mybe just constipation,) foamy urine, foggy headedness, weakness in my ankles, itchiness of scalp and flares of psoriasis, persisent respiratory infections that have been treated with antibiotics, but still seem to return (In fact, i still can feel movement/crackling in my left lower lung at times when breathing deeply, although very subtle,) and finally, and the most new and also most infrequent, a sharp pain in the left flank that occurs for less than a second, but has been activated by breathing, at one time.
Phew! I'm done. But Note - doctor has found my blood pressure to be Higher than usual.
I must stress that these symptoms have been going on for a year now, and my anxiety has started to rise again, after seeing doctors repeatedly and getting tests, negative ct scans, etc, earlier. my normal blood work up and kidney and liver workups are normal, but, I'm left without a diagnosis.
The following illnesses have become possibilities to me after googling and reading for a sickening amount of time: CFS, Abdominal aneurism, kidney problem/ enlargement causing right back pain as well as not controlling potassium levels (causing high blood pressure, a thyroid problem (fatigue and weakness) amyloidosis (foamy urine, palpitations, lung crackling) metasticized cancer, FSMS, multiple Myeloma (anemia related fatigue and kidney problems,) reactionary high blood pressure, vitamin d or magnesium or potassium defiency, adrenal fatigue... Anymore? Haha
If you decide to take a particular interest in my case, I would be willing to provide more information of my past, (test, family history, etc.) thanks!

lenvegas 07-06-2013 11:27 AM

Re: A chronic collection of bewildering, worrying symptoms of mine...

Hi I am sorry for all your health problems, may I ask how many rounds and how long you took the antibiotics?

Complicatetdude 07-06-2013 12:24 PM

I probably took three different sets during my freshman year, and now I'm talking another set for lyme.

lenvegas 07-06-2013 01:16 PM

Hi, when I first read your symptoms I thought of candida, the respiratory problems,foamy urine and psoriasis all symptoms of candida. When the body experiences a candida yeast overgrowth it can reek hovok with many of the body's systems.Too many antibiotics has been known to cause candida. Mind you, I am not making a diagnosis as I am not qualified but it is just a guess.You may want to bring it up with your doctor and you may want to get get tested for if nothing else than to eliminate it as the cause of your health problems.

Complicatetdude 07-06-2013 01:38 PM

Yes, I forgot to put that in the possible illnesses. IS there a good way to get tested for that?

ladybud 07-06-2013 01:53 PM

I'll take an interest and add one item to your list and explain why. As a young male, most Drs will not even think of possible lupus, since it has a ratio of 9:1 women to men. But men DO get it. It causes fatigue, brain fog, high BP, palpitations and tachycardias, kidney problems like protein in urine that makes urine foamy, Vit D deficiency, pleurisy which could be the sharp pain in flank area with a deep breath, and tendency to chronic infections, often respiratory. There are a host of other symptoms too, but you certainly have enough to be suspicious, especially with psoriasis. Lupus is autoimmune, can be diagnosed in many ways-blood tests, urine, skin biopsy, plus the number and type of symptoms. It is often found in people with FH of autoimmune diseases, but not just lupus. The foamy urine should be checked for protein, but semen contains protein, so timing is important of specimen collection.

Complicatetdude 07-06-2013 02:35 PM

I know get this sharp, half a second pain under my left rib cage, that its felt near my collarbone, probably daily, maybe once a day. I just went to open my back, sliding door with my left arm, and felt it, but couldn't seem to reactivate the pain when trying to open it again. My researching has been leading more towards some type of functioning adrenal tumor, possibly malignant. A lot of my symptoms seem to match the symptoms of one with an adrenal gland tumor: flank pains, higher than usual blood pressure, pain in my mid back from enlargement of the tumor, heart palpitations, nervousness, low libido. I feel like a want an abdominal CT scan, pronto.

Complicatetdude 07-06-2013 02:45 PM

I appreciate the feedback. I will definitely look into it. It seems that I have a whole host of problems that affect different parts of the body, so an autoimmune disorder like Lupus has definitely came across my mind. I'm not convinced, but I'm worried that something has affected my kidney, which is causing my highblood pressure, as well as my mid back pain. Oddly enough, about half my life ago, I went to a doctor, who, by looking into my eyes, told me that I lacked potassium, which can also lead to high blood pressure....wierd.

ladybud 07-06-2013 02:45 PM

The adrenal tumors, like pheochromocytoma, are extremely rare, and very small, sometimes just 1/4 inch or so. A CT scan or abdominal MRI wouldn't hurt, but lupus can be checked out with blood and urine tests, and is much more common. A CT scan can miss tumors less than 1/2 inch, so an MRI would be better. An endo usually orders an MRI only after running 24 hr urine for catecholamines, which the adrenal pheos produce (epinephrine and norepinephrine. Just thought I'd put my thoughts out to you for consideration.

Complicatetdude 07-06-2013 02:54 PM

[QUOTE=Complicatetdude;5196345]I know get this sharp, half a second pain under my left rib cage, that its felt near my collarbone, probably daily, maybe once a day. I just went to open my back, sliding door with my left arm, and felt it, but couldn't seem to reactivate the pain when trying to open it again. My researching has been leading more towards some type of functioning adrenal tumor, possibly malignant. A lot of my symptoms seem to match the symptoms of one with an adrenal gland tumor: flank pains, higher than usual blood pressure, pain in my mid back from enlargement of the tumor, heart palpitations, nervousness, low libido. I feel like a want an abdominal CT scan, pronto.[/QUOTE]

With your knowledge of lupus, do all of these symptoms at this point in time suggest that if I were to have lupus, my diagnosis would be a late one? It would really be too bad, because, I have always been an active person, and good athlete, and It seems all of these problems started around the time when I stopped working out. I am probably the most out of shape I have ever been in my life. I wonder if it has any relation to these issues.

Complicatetdude 07-06-2013 03:15 PM

[QUOTE=ladybud;5196349]The adrenal tumors, like pheochromocytoma, are extremely rare, and very small, sometimes just 1/4 inch or so. A CT scan or abdominal MRI wouldn't hurt, but lupus can be checked out with blood and urine tests, and is much more common. A CT scan can miss tumors less than 1/2 inch, so an MRI would be better. An endo usually orders an MRI only after running 24 hr urine for catecholamines, which the adrenal pheos produce (epinephrine and norepinephrine. Just thought I'd put my thoughts out to you for consideration.[/QUOTE]

I see, ok. Another question for you. A year ago, I stopped working out, and running, and since then, I have been in the worst shape of my life. I feel that, to my body, I took an abrupt leap from a fit, good athlete, to a guy that sits at his computer, and complains of symptoms. Do you think this could have had a negative effect on lupus symptoms if I were to have it?

zip452 07-06-2013 04:39 PM

I agree that you need more blood tests and a urine test by the sounds of it. To get started definitely get another CBC, make sure they check electrolyte levels, RF (rheumatoid factor), ESR, ANA, C reactive protein, creatinine, urinalysis (chemical, micro and culture).

You mentioned that you had a normal CT scan - what was that of - your chest? Has anything at all showed up even insignificant findings or clues? Do you have any lower back pain? I was thinking that maybe the GI symptoms (gurgling, blood, etc) and tendancy to infections etc could be Ulcerative Colitis or Chrons, which I think can sometimes cause mucous to appear in the urine a bit too (just general inflammation). Also perhaps you could get tested for Ankylosing spondylitis which can be related, often seen in males, has some of those symptoms (even the ankles problem), and can also be related to psoriasis as you mentioned you have. I know its probably not what you want at your age, and I have never had one - but a colonoscopy may give you some more information or at least rule some things out and avoids the radiation from another CT scan.

When are your symptoms worst in the day? Do the antibiotics make you feel better at all?

ladybud 07-06-2013 08:48 PM

I guess it depends on whether the symptoms and fatigue made you stop working out. Many people with autoimmune disease are so tired and have so much joint and muscle pain, they literally don't want to move, which then causes weight gain, stiffness in joints, and makes you feel out of shape. Not working out wouldn't have caused the illness, more likely the opposite is true. But people with arthritis of any kind should keep moving and engage in gentle moderate exercise as tolerated. There is a type of arthritis associated with psoriasis called psoriatic arthritis that fits in this same category. Phil Mickelson has it, and you hear the sports casters mention it all the time. So you might research that too, since you have psoriasis.

Complicatetdude 07-06-2013 09:21 PM

[QUOTE=carzy;5196373]I agree that you need more blood tests and a urine test by the sounds of it. To get started definitely get another CBC, make sure they check electrolyte levels, RF (rheumatoid factor), ESR, ANA, C reactive protein, creatinine, urinalysis (chemical, micro and culture).

You mentioned that you had a normal CT scan - what was that of - your chest? Has anything at all showed up even insignificant findings or clues? Do you have any lower back pain? I was thinking that maybe the GI symptoms (gurgling, blood, etc) and tendancy to infections etc could be Ulcerative Colitis or Chrons, which I think can sometimes cause mucous to appear in the urine a bit too (just general inflammation). Also perhaps you could get tested for Ankylosing spondylitis which can be related, often seen in males, has some of those symptoms (even the ankles problem), and can also be related to psoriasis as you mentioned you have. I know its probably not what you want at your age, and I have never had one - but a colonoscopy may give you some more information or at least rule some things out and avoids the radiation from another CT scan.

When are your symptoms worst in the day? Do the antibiotics make you feel better at all?[/QUOTE]

I'll definitely get those blood tests and a urine test. As for the CT scan, it was of my chest, because during a spinal MRI to address the back pain in my mid back, they spotted a faded artifact in the right back, lower lung area, that they couldn't quite identify. The first CT scan of the chest showed three nodules/inflammation in the area, which scared me, but it cleared up 6 weeks later after a follow up CT. Clues might include low back pain, yes, but I thought not to mention it since it seemed minor. I really don't notice that back pain unless I bend down and touch my toes, and sometimes, not even that. I used to, however, have pretty noticeable lower back pain which I thought was do to squat work outs.
I was given anti-acids for my stomach before because of gurgling, and as a kid, I was diagnosed at one time with gastritis.
The antibiotics originally wiped out the lyme that I had, but they really haven't made me feel better...If anything, new symptoms have arrived, or become more prevalent, such as the itchy psoriasis red rash on my scalp/hairline, (which actually might be lupus related,) and the sharp, half a second pains that shoot in my left ribs and a little in my collarbone. Also, I've developed a cold from the antibiotics, which my mom now has since shes in the house also. The psoriasis on my head, by the way, is only a guess, and thats because I've had psoriasis on my elbows that went away, and I also have an itchy, (probably psoriasis,) groin. The itchiness in the groin and head however, might, as one guy above suggested, be a fungal infection, that has made its way internally.

Complicatetdude 07-06-2013 09:26 PM

They definitely didn't stop me from working out. It was just the transition to college that made me stop. The joint pain is not that bad, and I only feel tinges of pain in my ankles here and there. Its funny...my dad has had a very swollen, painful ankle for 20 years now, and he attributes that to a former injury in childhood, and the docs say there is nothing they can do besides give him a few painkillers. So, I think my family has bad ankles. Also, my younger cousin has dropfoot, and must be on a brace for 6 months to heal it. I had a VERY mild case of dropfoot that my chiropractor noticed and attributed it to my tight lower back, but I really dont have much of a problem. I was at a time worried about it though because I know that dropfoot is associated with diabetes, and my great grandmother died of diabetes. It is, also, in the leg area, that feels most weak when I wake up. My feet also always get particularly cold, almost like they lack blood flow. Sorry to throw so much at you! I'm glad I'm getting it out.