It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• 2 EMG Tests, 2 Different Results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
    JohnnyNumber5
    (male)

JohnnyNumber5 HB User
    2 EMG Tests, 2 Different Results

Hi all. In 2011 I visited a neurologist about some recurring pain that I had radiating from my lower back, down to my left hip, and all the way down my left leg. I also had migraines and headaches in the base of my head. So in 2011 the neurologist ordered MRIs of my brain, my lumbar spine and an EMG.

2011: The result was chiari malformation in my brain, a benign hemangioma, and some small abnormalities in the EMG results for my left leg.

2013: It's over two years later and my neurologist ordered the same tests. At this point I've only had the EMG done and it showed no abnormalities in my left leg anymore, but some new abnormalities in my right leg.

I'm trying to understand how my EMG could show abnormalities in my left leg in 2011, only to have those abnormalities go away over a period of two years and be replaced by abnormalities in my right leg. Especially since the pain radiating down my left leg still exists, but now includes the left side of my buttocks.

Does the fact that I have pain radiating from my back, to my left hip, and down my leg at times - with no evidence of damage showing on my EMG anymore - indicate that the problem on my left side originates in my central nervous system?

I've read about EMG results all over the internet and I just don't understand what EMG abnormalities indicate with respect to the root source of pain, if anything.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread