It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Slight Numbness: left side face, neck, arm and hand

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-10-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
    GetDownwardDog
    (female)

GetDownwardDog HB User
    Question Slight Numbness: left side face, neck, arm and hand

Hoping someone will be able to shed some light on this situation:

Coming up on 3 months now I have had a slight numbness on the left side of my face, neck, shoulder and down the entire arm to fingertips. It is not completely numb, I described it to my doc as a "muted sensation", particularly to temperatures. Started when I got home from the gym one day after my normal routine. A couple hours later the numbness started and I had trouble swallowing food. The trouble swallowing lasted only about an hour or so, and comes back rarely for short spurts. The numbness however has lasted, and seems to be more noticeable in the mornings or after I have held my arm in a strenuous position for a while. No noticed weakness or loss of function, it is just sticking around for longer than I would like. I have had a brain MRI which came back normal, leads me to think it is just a pinched nerve, but i know the face is not commonly involved in those cases...any ideas?

(little side note: the GP suggested I go off of my birth control which I did and noticed no difference. However the MRI was just the brain tissue and not any vasculature-- not completely ruling out a clot or something. Could this still be a plausible cause even though I have been off of it for 2 months now with no change in the symptoms?)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    nerve damage, numbness face, numbness of left arm, swallowing difficulty