It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Constant, Dull Pain on Entire Left Side of Body since Birth - Want Answers

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
    svrla
    (female)

svrla HB User
    Constant, Dull Pain on Entire Left Side of Body since Birth - Want Answers

Hello,

I am seeking expert advice regarding an undiagnosed condition I have been suffering from ever since I can remember. If anybody has any leads as to what I might have, or who I should reach out to, I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

I am now 28 years old. I did all kinds of testing when I was little. As soon as I could speak, I began to express to my mom that I hurt on the left side of my body. She also noticed that I never liked to be held in or touched on my left side, even as a baby. The doctors did brain scans, MRIs, CAT Scans, blood tests, sleeping tests, psychological exams, you name it. No doctor had any idea as to what I had. Many said I was faking or making it up, although I have never been an attention seeker and my story has remained the same.

So when I was 6, we decided that I am functioning well enough and that we would stop the quest. I have learned to manage with the pain, but now I'm at a point in my life where I would like some answers. I know that the medical field has evolved in the last 20 years, and I'd like to know if my pain will ever become degenerative and/or if there is a way to minimize or get ride of the pain. Up to this point, I haven't noticed any degeneration, but I still worry. I do not seek pain medicine. It doesn't work anyways. Plus, I'm the kind of person who never takes my pain medicine even if it's perscribed to me for other issues.

I struggle with a chronic pain that affects the entire left side of my body. I can draw a perfect line down the middle of my body, starting from the top of my head to the tips of my toes, and ANYWHERE to the left of that line, I am in pain, constantly, 24/7, IT NEVER GOES AWAY. No pain medicine alleviates it. The right side of my body feels perfect and is such a relief. I have learned to cope by drawing as much attention as I can to my right side. Though I am left handed, I have naturally become ambidextrous in a lot of ways. I sleep on my right side, chew/swallow on my right side, do sports with my right hand/leg, etc.

The pain is not a sharp/stabbing/unbearable pain. Instead, it's more of a weakening/nauseous pain that is very hard to describe. I seem to notice it more in my head. I often press my fingers on my right forehead and temple to help when I'm particularly in a position where I can't stop thinking about my pain. If my husband kisses me on my left cheek, I make him kiss me on my right, just so I can draw my attention back to the right side. I'd prefer it if he didn't touch me on my left side altogether, but I can't require the people in my life to live like that. Light and air flow on my left side bothers me too. It tends to affect me more when I am tired, idle, etc.

But I am not weaker on my left side. I have done strength tests, and there is no difference. However, mentally I have to focus more on using my left side. For example, I ran track and cross country through college, and my coach always reminded me to move my left hand more. To me, it felt like I was putting in the same effort as my right side, but I wasn't. I never told him about my left side pain.

Given the perfect division of my body, I believe that it has to be something in my brain and/or neurological. I'm not sure if this is unrelated or not, but I have recently been told that I have multi-level disc degenration in my spine. As a 28 year old, I basically have the spine of a 60 year old. I struggle with unrelated pain caused by 3 herniations in my upper spine. I've been told I should no longer run, so now my outlet is Yoga. Not even my spinal doctors wanted to hear about my chronic pain. This problem may be completely separate, but I thought I'd mention it just in case it could be connected to my ongoing pain since birth.

To this point, I have been unable to find a doctor that seems to care about my overall health, so I won't even bring it up anymore. Whenever I did mention it, doctors just seemed to think, "oh that's interesting" or "she's crazy" and move on. I have always been very high functioning, strong, and athletic, which may be why doctors don't seem to take it seriously. I came to a point in my life where I decided my pain was insignificant and that there were more serious problems in the world than my pain. But I have been encouraged by a few close friends and my husband that my health is important, and that I should look into it again.

So if any of you have any suggestions on a diagnosis and/or a good doctor. I would greatly appreciate it. I live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and prefer local doctors if possible. Thank you for taking the time to hear my story!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
    marsha1
    (female)

marsha1 HB User
    Re: Constant, Dull Pain on Entire Left Side of Body since Birth - Want Answers

sorry, don't have any answers, but couldn't the fact that you have this prob. with your spine- be throwing your whole left side off? you say that you are ambidextrous, maybe try for like a week to only use your right hand,etc. & see if there is any difference. you wouldn't be constantly using muscles,etc. on your left side. it won't be easy probably. i'm ambitextrous, so i know how it feels. if you can't do it, wrap up the lefthand, so you can't use it-found that out when i broke my arm. it'll work that way. good luck.

Closed Thread

Tags
    chronic pain, dull ache, left side pain