It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• 19 Year-old Female, Incredibly Worried About Having Something Serious

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-18-2014, 09:49 PM   #1
    vivezmargot
    (female)

vivezmargot HB User
    19 Year-old Female, Incredibly Worried About Having Something Serious

I am a 19 year old first year college student, and for the past few days, I have been having some strange symptoms.
    Starting about three days ago, I was just at my laptop, typing something for class and I noticed that my right hand felt strange, and everything I did with it felt strange. At first I thought it was a migraine coming on, as sometime when I get migraines my hands will tingle or hurt so I thought nothing of it.
    And now, about three days later, my right hand feels very strange and weak. I can still grip things and make fists, but every few seconds I get scared to try to move it because I am afraid I will not be able to move it, but I always can. It feels light and weak-like, and then earlier today I was walking across campus and my knees started to feel really heavy and walking almost hurt. When I got back to my dorm I sat down and it fixed it for a while, but my hand still felt weak. I have noticed I'm fumbling a lot with my fingers and seem to be tripping a little too, but that might just be all in my head. Also, a few days ago for a few minutes I could move my pinky toe, but soon after I was able to, and I don't know if that could have been cause by me sitting on it. Sometimes my right thumb (usually on the knuckle) will tingle for a few minutes or my ring and pinky finger will. My right knee and leg also feel weaker and have been for a few hours today.

I am really worried that something is seriously wrong with my, and I am out of state and not covered by insurance unless I am in the ER, but its still also a big-ish co-pay for the ER and I don't want to go if its nothing serious. I am almost deadly terrified to speak incase I am suddenly not able to form words, or afraid that I wont be able to move my toes or fingers, but I am not getting any relief by sleep or rest, and I am starting to worry that I might have ALS. I know that I am fairly young and a lot of people would tell me I'm too old for it, but I know something has to be wrong.

Any type of feedback would be very much appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2014, 05:22 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: 19 Year-old Female, Incredibly Worried About Having Something Serious

Sounds more like a nerve or disc problem. Young people often have horrible posture when sitting - esp at the computer - so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what's going on.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:33 AM   #3
    tess201
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User

It might be worth a co-pay, if for nothing else, to ease your mind or to delve further, if that is determined what is needed. No walk-in clinics available?

Tess

Old 04-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
    tiff-cher
    Veteran
    (female)

tiff-cher HB User

I would suggest going to a PCP and getting a referral to a Neurologist. It sounds like you might have a pinched nerve in your neck and possibly something going on in your back. They would be able to do an EMG/Nerve Conduction Study to tell if there is an issue. Often times an ER can refer you as well. I hope this helps.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
    vivezmargot
    (female)

vivezmargot HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    Sounds more like a nerve or disc problem. Young people often have horrible posture when sitting - esp at the computer - so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what's going on.
    It really could be, I am at my computer a lot and have had a history of slouching.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
    vivezmargot
    (female)

vivezmargot HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tiff-cher View Post
    I would suggest going to a PCP and getting a referral to a Neurologist. It sounds like you might have a pinched nerve in your neck and possibly something going on in your back. They would be able to do an EMG/Nerve Conduction Study to tell if there is an issue. Often times an ER can refer you as well. I hope this helps.
    I have a Neurologist at home that I was referred to for my migraines. What are symptoms of pinched nerves? I have a had a lot of possibly pinched nerve symptoms this year, most of which have gone away.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Exactly what you described. The tingling, loss of sensation, weakness,etc.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:40 PM   #8
    vivezmargot
    (female)

vivezmargot HB User

I have also for the past 5 hours maybe, my entire left arm through my ring and pinky finger feel either constantly aching or burning, but applying cold soothes it for a moment or two, but it comes back as soon as I remove it. Could that also be a pinched nerve or herniated disk?

Old 04-20-2014, 04:42 AM   #9
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes, ma'am. It could be any number of things. We all suggest getting it checked.

Closed Thread

Tags
    als, anxiety, multiple scerosis