It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

Many Prescriptions

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
Rick1225
(male)

Rick1225 HB User
Many Prescriptions

Hello-

My mother is on 16 different medications from the five different physicians that she sees. It doesn't appear anyone knows exactly what she is on and what each medication is specifically supposed to be doing. We tried to go to the pharmacy but the pharmacist said that they were too busy to sort out this mess. Is there any resource that we can tap into that will sit down with us, sort out all of her medications and tell us what is truly necessary and which ones not so much? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
Machaon
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Many Prescriptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1225 View Post
Hello-

My mother is on 16 different medications from the five different physicians that she sees. It doesn't appear anyone knows exactly what she is on and what each medication is specifically supposed to be doing.
Considering that most doctors are just making a educated guess as to what medication(s) are best for their patients, there is a high probability that several of your mother's medications are unnecessary, and also several medications are not the best ones for treating her ailments.

For my multiple health problems, I take three different pills a day, a half hour apart in order to avoid drug interactions.

Quote:
Is there any resource that we can tap into that will sit down with us, sort out all of her medications and tell us what is truly necessary and which ones not so much? Thanks.
If you can't get your mother's doctors to review her meds with you, you could get some anecdotal feedback by listing your mother's medications, and dosages, here to see if other patients, taking the same medication(s) would chime in with some info and peer opinions.

Otherwise, you could do as many of us have to do to find out about our own medications, and look them up on the internet.

Best of luck and health to both you and your mom!
⇒ 2002 BP was 151/96; readings:1,423
⇒ From 2008-2017 BP was 119/69; readings:7,514

Last edited by Machaon; 04-29-2014 at 12:48 PM.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:09 PM   #3
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Many Prescriptions

Do you have her POA?? If so, march into the pharmacy, show it to them and ask for a computer printout of her medications for the last year.

Then, make an appointment with her primary care physician. Take the POA with you and the list from the pharmacy. Talk with him about it.

If you do not have her POA, have your mother go to the pharmacy with you and get the list. Same with the doctor. FYI, most large pharmacies have all that online and you can access it that way.

Closed Thread