It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Grief & Loss Message Board

• Dad died unexpectedly

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-26-2019, 08:10 PM   #1
    MissyDawn
    (female)

MissyDawn HB User
    Dad died unexpectedly

Hello everyone,

I'm new here. Just looking for a place to talk about my grief and hopefully try and come to terms with the loss of my dad, who passed away without warning on June 5th.

I haven't been able to sleep good since he died. I have nightmares consistently, and that isn't usual for me. They are always based on one of three scenarios, tho no one nightmare is ever the same as another.

Scenario one deals with dreams of my dad and I arguing. In the dream i know he will die soon but I keep arguing with him anyway. And then he dies when we aren't on good terms.

Scenario two deals with dreams in which my dad is still alive but he suddenly has a heart attack in front of me. I begin CPR but am unable to save him.

Scenario three are dreams that don't involve my dad. He is already gone in the dreams, I think. At least, he isn't a part of them and he doesn't come up, so I assume he has long since passed. Anyway, these dreams involve my mom. And in those dreams, my mom is always trying to kill me or my brother or her grandkids.

It's hard enough to function at work right now without not being able to sleep, but add in my nightmares and subsequent insomnia, and I am so, so exhausted and probably robot-like.

Is it common to have bad dreams after a loved on passes? And if so, how can I stop those sorts of dreams?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2019, 10:54 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Dad died unexpectedly

My deepest condolences.

My belief is that dreams are our subconscious trying to make sense of our thoughts, worries, grief, fears, etc, and they are in symbols and flashes that can be helpful when analysed.
    Grief is a process of thoughts and emotions and confusion.....and you're going through that.

Do you know why your dad died?
    Do you have unanswered questions, unfinished issues, anger at him, guilt, etc?
    Do you have people you can talk to who can offer support, and have you considered grief counselling?
    Are you able to talk with your mom regarding her grief?

I have always dreamed fairly vividly, and some are super disturbing afterward...I try to figure out the why of the parts I remember and do some research on the symbolism. Sometimes it's helpful, and other times not so much.

Allow yourself the time to figure it out. You could ask your doctor for a sleep aid...many I know use melatonin, I use Trazadone 25mg. It isn't like the hypnotics, and I can fall asleep about 30 minutes after taking it, although, if I'm not in bed I can easily override it.
    Hugs,
    q

Reply Reply