It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board

• Telogen Effluvium, nerve problems, hormone imbalance, or early alopecia?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-29-2015, 09:39 PM   #1
    snoopy209
    (female)

snoopy209 HB User
    Smile Telogen Effluvium, nerve problems, hormone imbalance, or early alopecia?

I'm very confused and concerned about what has been happening to me the past (almost) six months.
    First I will give a little bit of a back story. I am a 21 year old female. I was vegetarian since I was 10 and a vegan since I was 18. When I was vegan I was not careful or smart about my vitamin or protein intake. To add to how stupid I was being, a couple months prior to my issue I got a new full time job and was always on the go and only eating salad for the majority of the time.
    So in the end of November of 2014, I was at work and all the sudden my scalp felt as if someone was pouring acid over it. I'm pretty sure there were moments where I would almost be in tears because of the pain. What followed the pain was immense hair loss. I have lost about half maybe a little more of my hair. My hair loss has never been in clumps or patchy, always just general thinning and more often than not there will be a white bulb at the end of the hair (like telogen effluvium). I noticed the pain will start on the temples of my scalp and then depending on how bad the pain is it will travel to the side of my scalp. The pain feels like pins and needles and also can feel like it's burning.
    I went to a doctor and blood work was normal. I went to a derm and she was very confused on what was going on. She sent me to a neurologist and he said from the pain I was describing it seemed like my occiptial nerve was tweaked. He said it was nothing serious and nothing to further look into and gave me gabapentin to take when the pain comes on.
    So here I am almost 6 months later, I have completely changed my diet adding fish and eggs back into it as well as vitamins, trying not to stress and exercise more, and also trying to be positive considering i'm still experiencing my hair loss and pain. My hair is growing back slowly (I think). Both the pain and hairloss have began to go away little by little. However my hair has still been falling out right before I start my period and I'm noticing that the pain comes right along with it.
    Sorry to right a novel, but like I said I'm 21 years old and i've lost half (if not more) of my hair!
    Has anyone had any similar experience? Or advice? Or opinions on if this might be a hormonal thing or from my lack of nutrients? Should I wait this out? I just have no clue what to do at this point. I want it all to go away.

Last edited by mod85; 04-30-2015 at 12:15 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2015, 12:39 PM   #2
    Tmoliver
    (female)

Tmoliver HB User
    Re: Telogen Effluvium, nerve problems, hormone imbalance, or early alopecia?

Hi! I just read about your experiences and except for a couple of things and I'm astonished that im experiencing almost the same thing as you. About six months ago, 3 days after applying a semi-permanent hair dye, my scalp started tingling and itching. I thought that it was just a skin reaction caused by the dye. Two dermatologists, two primary care physicians, a neurologist and an allergist later, and Im convinced that something has gone awry with the nerves in my scalp. I've had bloods done 3 or 4 xs- nothing could be found. Sometimes the sensations feel like tingling, sometimes burning, or itching. Often times there's a feeling of moving head pressure to accompany the strange sensations. I'm addition to the nerve thing, I'm also experiencing what I believe is a bout of Telogen Effluvium. My hair has been thinning diffident since this all occurred. I've lost about 30-40% of my hair so far. I've noticed more as of late, that I'm shedding extremely thin hairs with and without bulbs. I've tried everything to stop both issues, but I haven't found any lasting relief. I'm at a loss. I am also a vegetarian, but only for about 2 1/2 years. Since this tragedy started, I've incorporated fish into my diet for protein and omega 3's. I'm at a loss and could use some encouragement. Anyone?

Old 05-27-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
    snoopy209
    (female)

snoopy209 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tmoliver View Post
    Hi! I just read about your experiences and except for a couple of things and I'm astonished that im experiencing almost the same thing as you. About six months ago, 3 days after applying a semi-permanent hair dye, my scalp started tingling and itching. I thought that it was just a skin reaction caused by the dye. Two dermatologists, two primary care physicians, a neurologist and an allergist later, and Im convinced that something has gone awry with the nerves in my scalp. I've had bloods done 3 or 4 xs- nothing could be found. Sometimes the sensations feel like tingling, sometimes burning, or itching. Often times there's a feeling of moving head pressure to accompany the strange sensations. I'm addition to the nerve thing, I'm also experiencing what I believe is a bout of Telogen Effluvium. My hair has been thinning diffident since this all occurred. I've lost about 30-40% of my hair so far. I've noticed more as of late, that I'm shedding extremely thin hairs with and without bulbs. I've tried everything to stop both issues, but I haven't found any lasting relief. I'm at a loss. I am also a vegetarian, but only for about 2 1/2 years. Since this tragedy started, I've incorporated fish into my diet for protein and omega 3's. I'm at a loss and could use some encouragement. Anyone?

Hello,
    All I can say right now is try your hardest to wait it out with a positive mind. Also, try getting 2nd opinions. I'm going to another derm and making sure they can confirm if I have Telogen Effluvium or not. If I do then I know I need to just wait it out, if not then there's something underlying. As for the nerve pain try taking a vitamin called Lecithin every morning. I've been taking one everyday since this started and the pain has actually almost gone away. My coworker who has suffered from nerve damage recommended it to me and it has really worked. It took half a year, but I can say the pain has really subsided. I also who take a vitamin called Quercitin at night if my scalp starts feeling inflamed.
    My hair is still falling out off and on, but it even when it sheds it's not as much as it was in the beginning. I also noticed if I had an anxiety attack when my hair was shedding it would shed even more. So just try and keep calm and take things day by day.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:20 PM   #4
    Tmoliver
    (female)

Tmoliver HB User

It's so comforting to have another person to talk to about this! Thank you for starting this post. Of course I wish neither of us was dealing with hair loss and pain, but I'm grateful to know that im not the only one in the world dealing with this. I just bought some sunflower lecithin online and I will start taking it as soon as I get it. I've also been taking benfotiamine for the past couple of weeks- so far it takes the edge off of the tingling and pressure, but only slightly. I've added hypericum and evening primrose oil to my daily supps as well. I'm going to continue taking these things with the hopes that my nerves begin to heal within the near future. How was your pain and hair loss been recently? Did you ever visit the second derm you mentioned?

Old 08-09-2015, 02:51 PM   #5
    jenvy
    (female)

jenvy HB User

I am going through hair loss induced by medication (trazodone) but I also found out through an appointment I had 2.5 weeks ago with my holistic doctor that I have severely low Ferritin levels (Iron storage). This alone can cause hair loss. I had no idea until I was researching hair loss and ferritin, etc.

Have you all had your ferritin and iron levels checked? A vitamin D deficiency can cause hair loss as well.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:01 AM   #6
    snoopy209
    (female)

snoopy209 HB User

Hey guys, I hope you all read this because this is what I've always wanted to write about!
    Well, shortly after I said I was going to another derm with a second opinion, I went and she confirmed I had telogen effluvium. She had said it was obvious and she couldn't believe my last derm couldn't see it! At first I was still sceptical because I had seen so many doctors that gave me wrong information. I was still losing hair, but at this point I told myself "don't stress, you know what this will do to you. Let everything take its course."
    I was/am still taking my vitamins (now I take: vitamin d3, vitamin b, fish oil, quercetin, vitamin c, biotin, iron (when I'm on my period), calcium, and viviscal). I now know what I was going through, I was malnourished! It had seemed so obvious, but doctors and dermatologists, and neurologists know NOTHING about nutrition. Even my main doctor told me "I'm sorry, but I have not studied nutrition, so I can't help you when it comes to your diet."
    It has taken almost a full year for my hair to stop massively falling out. I had lost about 60% of my hair (I had really thick hair before hand).
    So here I am now, my hair stopped falling out in mass amounts and it actually started growing back!
    Because I once had thick hair, I am still impatient. So I put castor oil through my hair at least twice a week and it has helped so much! It's actually thick at the top again!
    I just want to let everyone know that even though you have 2, 3, or 4 doctors tell you, "you're just losing hair" or "It must be due to this or that", just follow your gut instinct. And also remember THEY HAVE NOT STUDIED NUTRITION. Also I have gone to a nutritionist and she was off her rocker. GO TO A WELLNESS DOCTOR. Go to someone who has studied more than what the government has given them. Trust me, think about your health and your day to day life. Do all you can to holistically improve it.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:29 PM   #7
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Glad to hear it snoopy! Do you apply the castor oil to your scalp before bed? Did you read somewhere that this helps with regrowth?

Old 10-10-2015, 03:31 PM   #8
    snoopy209
    (female)

snoopy209 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by STLouisgal View Post
    Glad to hear it snoopy! Do you apply the castor oil to your scalp before bed? Did you read somewhere that this helps with regrowth?
    Yes I apply it before bed and sleep with it, with a shower cap on. And yes, you can find many articles online about the great things castor oil can do for you. Plus it's all natural and actually helps your hair, unlike anything over the counter.

Closed Thread

Tags
    hair falling, hormonal imbalance, nerve damage, nutrition and diet