It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board

• hair loss

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-05-2003, 11:50 PM   #1
    allisonash
    (female)

allisonash HB User
    Exclamation hair loss

anyone have any advice regarding hair loss and hypothyroidism?

i was diagnosed 1 and a half years ago by my dermatologist when i saw her for an episode of alopecia areata (which was completely resolved). i've been experiencing hair loss the entire time that i've been on treatment - i've taken all the forms of synthroid (levothyroxine, levothroid) and am now taking 100 mcg levothroid - i don't think that i'm experiencing any other symtoms except for the hair loss, which is causing some depression. also, i've seen numerous doctors who all basically tell me to ignore it - i even asked about thyrolar and armour and was told that they aren't as good as synthroid - i'm frustrated and out of ideas.

can anyone help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2003, 05:17 AM   #2
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allisonash

can anyone help?
    hi there,

i'm losing some hair too, and it's defititely hypothyroidism ... after all, if your nails are affected (mine are), one's hair is bound to be affected -- almost everything in your body slows down, so hair thickness is a common one ... i used to have SUCH thick hair -- now it's considerably thinner (and not due to age -- all this happened in the last few months) ...

but i don't know what to do about it -- any suggestions?

jb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jinglebts; 11-06-2003 at 05:21 AM.

Old 11-06-2003, 05:26 AM   #3
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by allisonash

i've been experiencing hair loss the entire time that i've been on treatment - i've taken all the forms of synthroid (levothyroxine, levothroid) and am now taking 100 mcg levothroid - i don't think that i'm experiencing any other symtoms except for the hair loss, which is causing some depression.
    can anyone help?
    and the depression is probably caused by your thyroid
    disease, not your hair loss ... cytomel? some doctors won't
    even prescribe THAT, but it's worth a try ...

jb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-06-2003, 05:29 AM   #4
    girlygirly
    Inactive

girlygirly HB User
    I was losing alot of hair on Synthroid. I don't feel Synthroid was the right choice for me. Now I am taking Armour and my hair loss seems to be more normal. It is your medication. First of all your doctor knows nothing about Armour to simply say that a T4 synthetic drug is superior, Ask him/her why it is superior. And if it is so superior then why are you still having symptoms. They won't have any good answer, just the one that the pharm. reps gave them. If your doctor won't give you the treatment that you want then you should question his/her motives and goals; is it symptom relief for you or just "being right". You may have to fire this doctor and move on.To me this doctor sounds like a total loser!! Good Luck to you!

Old 11-06-2003, 05:45 AM   #5
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by girlygirly
    I was losing alot of hair on Synthroid. I don't feel Synthroid was the right choice for me. Now I am taking Armour and my hair loss seems to be more normal. It is your medication. First of all your doctor knows nothing about Armour to simply say that a T4 synthetic drug is superior, Ask him/her why it is superior. And if it is so superior then why are you still having symptoms. They won't have any good answer, just the one that the pharm. reps gave them. If your doctor won't give you the treatment that you want then you should question his/her motives and goals; is it symptom relief for you or just "being right". You may have to fire this doctor and move on.To me this doctor sounds like a total loser!! Good Luck to you!
    i'm afraid of the T3 in armour ... too much T3 cause me to become aphasic, so i have to be quite careful ... AND i'm quite happy with what i'm taking, and will check on line whether synthroid causes hair loss ...

jb

Old 11-06-2003, 05:55 AM   #6
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Talking

... did a quick check and both hypothyroidism and synthroid
    cause hair loss (altho' the syntroid hair loss is likely to be
    transient) -- AND i noticed hair thinning before i took
    synthroid ...

i really don't think armour's for everyone, altho' it certainly
    seems you be for you, and many others ...

so go figure!!

jb

Old 11-06-2003, 03:43 PM   #7
    Sunshine1649

Sunshine1649 HB User
    Arrow hair loss can be both hypo/hyper...read

This is one subject that I can relate to. I thought I was going insane for a long time, was misdiagnosed when I had my first symptom (left leg swollen) and a lot of other symptoms that would come and go over years. They actually diagnosed me with Elephantitis at first. But, after test after test, they found it was the thyroid was going haywire like a rollercoaster. If you read the list below and can match a few along with hair loss, you can figure out if you have too much/too little medication. I went through the I181- radiation treatment to kill my thyroid, essentually, and had about a year of medicine changes. I am finally back to who I should have been 10+ years ago. I also take magnesium (for deficiency caused by the thyroid) and MSM (for joint pain associated with Fatigue Syndrome).

I found a great website [URL=http://www.mythyroid.com]MyThyroid[/URL]

Too much thyroid hormone -Hyperthyroidism
    *Fast heart beats or palpitations, shortness of breath
    *Anxiety, difficulty concentrating, restlessness, shakiness, tremor, irritability
    *Feeling warm and/or increased sweating
    *Muscle weakness or twitching
    *Sleep disorders
    *Fatigue or increased energy
    *Hair loss, acne, oily skin
    *Increased appetite
    *Weight loss or less commonly, weight gain
    *Diarrhea, or increased number of bowel movements
    *Menstrual irregularities
    (watch for a Thyroid Storm- can be deadly)

Not enough thyroid hormones -Hypothyroidism
    *Fatigue
    *Difficulty concentrating and memory impairment
    *Depression
    *Weight gain
    *Muscle aches and cramps
    *Hair loss
    *Sleep disorders
    *Dry skin
    *Feeling cold
    *Fluid retention or puffiness

Hope it helps to read the list above.

Old 11-06-2003, 04:49 PM   #8
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sunshine1649
    This is one subject that I can relate to. I thought I was going insane for a long time, was misdiagnosed when I had my first symptom (left leg swollen) and a lot of other symptoms that would come and go over years. They actually diagnosed me with Elephantitis at first. But, after test after test, they found it was the thyroid was going haywire like a rollercoaster. If you read the list below and can match a few along with hair loss, you can figure out if you have too much/too little medication. I went through the I181- radiation treatment to kill my thyroid, essentually, and had about a year of medicine changes. I am finally back to who I should have been 10+ years ago. I also take magnesium (for deficiency caused by the thyroid) and MSM (for joint pain associated with Fatigue Syndrome).

I found a great website [URL=http://www.mythyroid.com]MyThyroid[/URL]

Too much thyroid hormone -Hyperthyroidism
    *Fast heart beats or palpitations, shortness of breath
    *Anxiety, difficulty concentrating, restlessness, shakiness, tremor, irritability
    *Feeling warm and/or increased sweating
    *Muscle weakness or twitching
    *Sleep disorders
    *Fatigue or increased energy
    *Hair loss, acne, oily skin
    *Increased appetite
    *Weight loss or less commonly, weight gain
    *Diarrhea, or increased number of bowel movements
    (watch for a Thyroid Storm- can be deadly)

Not enough thyroid hormones -Hypothyroidism
    *Fatigue
    *Difficulty concentrating and memory impairment
    *Depression
    *Weight gain
    *Muscle aches and cramps
    *Hair loss
    *Sleep disorders
    *Dry skin
    *Feeling cold
    *Fluid retention or puffiness

Hope it helps to read the list above.

hi sunshine,

add to the hypER list: nausea (found it on another list of symptoms from a reputable site ... i tipped over into hyper about a month ago -- was nauseated, one big HOT flash, weak ... then i realized i was on too hi a dose -- tricky getting regulated tho' -- now i'm having hypo symptoms (because of the change in weather, i think) ... i too had a lot of trouble getting a DX ... was treated for depression (ADs, which i still take except now they WORK), bloating (presc. stockings, for heaven's sake!), puffy face; my GP did NOT think of doing a blood workup or sending me to an endo ... my CFS doctor discovered it ...

i was sure glad he had, but was i mad!! and elepahantitis? yikes!

ah well ...

welcome to the board!
    jb

Last edited by jinglebts; 11-06-2003 at 04:52 PM.

Old 11-07-2003, 10:00 AM   #9
    LuvMyLilDoggie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
    Hi all!
    Jinglebts, you said the way you feel can be influenced by the weather. Maybe that's why I've been feeling so blaaa the last couple of days. So tired (I sleep good now). I can't concentrate my mind is wandering so badly. I've been thinking of going back to school but at this rate, I'll never learn anything. My legs are feeling unusually heavy again. And this has all been since it got colder outside. And it rained for two days prior to getting cold. I just hope I'm not going to feel like this all winter. Now I have to go make myself a cup of hot tea. That seems to help, at least for a while.
    Barb

Old 11-07-2003, 12:01 PM   #10
    Bellajoon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bellajoon HB User
    I feel for everyone here! My hair goes through its ups and downs. Some days it looks and feels great and then a week later it starts shedding again and looks like crap! I am constantly cold! I was freezing in step aerboics yesterday! I was looking around at everyone sweating and I was freezing, I had to put my zip up sweat shirt. I feel like a freak! I am cold at work and everyone seems either comfortable or hot. Went for my annual pap yesterday and found out I have a bladder infection. I swear, somedays I feel like I am falling apart!

Old 11-07-2003, 01:31 PM   #11
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User
    Question

Hey Ladies -

Can someone please tell me how the weather affects our thyroid levels????

We are having nice weather right now, but there's rain on the way for the next few days....does that mean I might feel crappy again?? I just don't understand how the weather could change our levels. Is there anywhere that I can read about this? Should I stay indoors w/ the heater set at 75 perfect degrees?? heehee....my gosh, as if we don't have enough to deal with.

I just went to take some Benedryl and read the label, and it has aluminum in it. So I didn't take it. Can I take it?

And this hairloss...my God, does it ever stop!? My best feature...clogging up the drains and all over the place. When I sweep the kitchen floor it pains me to look at what I sweep up in the dustpan! The bag in the vacuum must be full of hair!! I don't even want to brush it anymore, unless I'm going out. The funny thing is, I'm not depressed about it! I guess that's good, not to say I don't worry about it a little. I'm thinking of ordering a wig, just in case. Anyone ever gone that far?

Happy Friday!

D

Old 11-07-2003, 02:21 PM   #12
    LuvMyLilDoggie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
    Ohhhhh do I know about the hair thing!!! I just threw out a vaccuum cleaner because I hadn't checked the brush in a while. My hair is long and it got so wrapped up in the brush that it burned up the belt AND the motor! Of course it didn't help that the vaccuum cleaner was about 8 years old. And I have to keep doing the Drain-O thing to the bathtub. Oh, and what about the hair in the food?? I have to wear a hair net to keep from getting hair in the food while I'm cooking. I had to cook for more than 20 people last Saturday. I prayed they wouldn't find hair in their food!
    Barb

Old 11-07-2003, 02:35 PM   #13
    keepitsimple

keepitsimple HB User
    hairloss

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Deda
    Hey Ladies -

Can someone please tell me how the weather affects our thyroid levels????

We are having nice weather right now, but there's rain on the way for the next few days....does that mean I might feel crappy again?? I just don't understand how the weather could change our levels. Is there anywhere that I can read about this? Should I stay indoors w/ the heater set at 75 perfect degrees?? heehee....my gosh, as if we don't have enough to deal with.

I just went to take some Benedryl and read the label, and it has aluminum in it. So I didn't take it. Can I take it?

And this hairloss...my God, does it ever stop!? My best feature...clogging up the drains and all over the place. When I sweep the kitchen floor it pains me to look at what I sweep up in the dustpan! The bag in the vacuum must be full of hair!! I don't even want to brush it anymore, unless I'm going out. The funny thing is, I'm not depressed about it! I guess that's good, not to say I don't worry about it a little. I'm thinking of ordering a wig, just in case. Anyone ever gone that far?

Happy Friday!

D
    I have been shopping for a wig for a month. I have told the doctor about this and he basically says It will take time. Well I don't have time. I had thick long hair now I have dry course very thin hair. I hate to wash it, it falls out in clumps. The store owner selling the wigs thought I was going for Chemo. This does not seem right, is this from the medicine? I am on Levoxyl 88 mcg. and cytomel 5 mcg for my hypothyroidism diagnosed this past August.
    I am trying to look at it is a chance to have some new hairs styles, so I won't get depressed but it is hard.

Old 11-07-2003, 02:37 PM   #14
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User
    Talking

Bosman-

GeezLouweez!! People having to purchase new appliances due to their thyroids!?!? Now I've heard everything! I'm just kidding of course. But thanks for that little fyi, I'm going to check my beater bar/brush on my vacuum later today, as I have long hair too.

Yes Boseman, I know what you mean about hair falling in the food while cooking, that's been a concern of mine as well. I usually clip it up w/ a butterfly clip.

And I've had to use Drano too in my shower. I should buy one of those nifty little drain covers that catch the hair, but I don't really want to see how much more I'm losing.

Have you noticed it ALL OVER your car too? My hair is dark blonde so it really shows up on my black car interior! YIKES!

Let's hope in a couple of months that we're all posting about our hairloss as a thing of the past!

Have a nice weekend ladies!

D-

Old 11-07-2003, 05:28 PM   #15
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hi ladies,

it's not the weather as such -- i should have said seasons ... it's suddenly got cold here, and i'm having a little relapse (i've increased my synthroid for now, but at least i know how to detect the first symptoms of hyper so i won't go there again and am watching out), and the unbearably hot summers we usually have here (humid, don'tcha know) also caused me to feel worse ...

the change of seasons (hot to cold to hot, with some pleasant days in between) is a physiological stressor that some of us (read: ME ) are subject to ... i've always noticed that i'm bushed when winter starts, ditto in late june, so i'm not surprised that i'm also having hypo symptoms ...

so you're right: changes in WEATHER don't cause symptoms; changes in season can, for those of us who are sensitive to that sort of thing ...

my hair just gets thinner and thinner; fortunately, i had thick hair to begin with, but latterly (six years or so, and in the mid-seventies) i've found an EXCELLENT hair cutter (why? you don't wanna know -- cowlicks, a little cylinder of hair that grows straight out of the side of my head, a thin section -- GAH!) -- she makes my hair look absolutely wonderful ... i absolutely FLAUNTED it ...

... well, guess what: no more -- i struggle just to make it not look flat ... both hypo AND synthroid cause this (research on the 'net), but the synthroid effects are supposed to go away ... how on earth do you tell!!

jb

Last edited by jinglebts; 11-07-2003 at 05:42 PM.

Closed Thread