It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board

  • Diuretic that does NOT cause Hair loss?

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 05-04-2004, 02:07 PM   #1
    little0ne
    Newbie
     
    little0ne's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2004
    Posts: 1
    little0ne HB User
    Question Diuretic that does NOT cause Hair loss?

    Hi,

    I just wondered if any of you might know of a diuretic that does NOT cause hair loss the way that HCTZ (hydrochlorothiazide) does?

    Do ALL diuretics cause hair loss?

    I did not even know that HCTZ causes hair loss until I read it here on the forum, and I'm so darn angry that I was not told.

    I have been scarfing back 25 mgs of HCTZ every morning for over three years now, and my hair is soooo thin! (And it used to be really THICK).

    Of course, my doctor is 'mystified' about what could be causing my hair to thin so much.

    I've tried researching HCTZ online so I could take the info in to him, and cannot come up with ANYTHING definitive that verifies that it does cause hair loss as a side effect, but ... there is no doubt in my mind that it has contributed to mine.

    ANY suggestions you might offer for a diuretic that does NOT cause hair loss would be VERY much appreciated. I can't afford to lose anymore hair.

    Thanks so much!
    Nancy

    EDIT: Came back to add - I've been taking the HCTZ for hypertension.

    Last edited by little0ne; 05-04-2004 at 02:20 PM.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 05-04-2004, 04:33 PM   #2
    jtu91952
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Location: western ny
    Posts: 942
    jtu91952 HB User
    Re: Diuretic that does NOT cause Hair loss?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by little0ne
    Hi,

    I just wondered if any of you might know of a diuretic that does NOT cause hair loss the way that HCTZ (hydrochlorothiazide) does?

    Do ALL diuretics cause hair loss?

    I did not even know that HCTZ causes hair loss until I read it here on the forum, and I'm so darn angry that I was not told.

    I have been scarfing back 25 mgs of HCTZ every morning for over three years now, and my hair is soooo thin! (And it used to be really THICK).

    Of course, my doctor is 'mystified' about what could be causing my hair to thin so much.

    I've tried researching HCTZ online so I could take the info in to him, and cannot come up with ANYTHING definitive that verifies that it does cause hair loss as a side effect, but ... there is no doubt in my mind that it has contributed to mine.

    ANY suggestions you might offer for a diuretic that does NOT cause hair loss would be VERY much appreciated. I can't afford to lose anymore hair.

    Thanks so much!
    Nancy

    EDIT: Came back to add - I've been taking the HCTZ for hypertension.
    Where did you hear hctz causes hair loss. I too have been on hctz for five or six yrs and i was never told that. I use to have very long and healthy hair until the last 2 to 3 yrs. I just assumed it was due to my many illnesses and many different meds. I will ask the pharmacist when i go for my walk tomorrow and then post the answer on the board. if you get an answer before then let me know. good luck.

     
    Old 05-04-2004, 07:35 PM   #3
    vipergg22
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Feb 2002
    Location: Rochester
    Posts: 223
    vipergg22 HB User
    Re: Diuretic that does NOT cause Hair loss?

    HCT side effects , notice under skin alopecia which is hair loss .

    Body as a Whole: Weakness.
    Cardiovascular: Hypotension including orthostatic hypotension (may be aggravated by alcohol, barbiturates, narcotics or antihypertensive drugs).
    Digestive: Pancreatitis, jaundice (intrahepatic cholestatic jaundice), diarrhea, vomiting, sialadenitis, cramping, constipation, gastric irritation, nausea, anorexia.
    Hematologic: Aplastic anemia, agranulocytosis, leukopenia, hemolytic anemia, thrombocytopenia.
    Hypersensitivity: Anaphylactic reactions, necrotizing angiitis (vasculitis and cutaneous vasculitis), respiratory distress including pneumonitis and pulmonary edema, photosensitivity, fever, urticaria, rash, purpura.
    Metabolic: Electrolyte imbalance (see PRECAUTIONS), hyperglycemia, glycosuria, hyperuricemia.
    Musculoskeletal: Muscle spasm.
    Nervous System/Psychiatric: Vertigo, paresthesias, dizziness, headache, restlessness.
    Renal: Renal failure, renal dysfunction, interstitial nephritis. (See WARNINGS.)
    Skin: Erythema multiforme including Stevens-Johnson syndrome, exfoliative dermatitis including toxic epidermal necrolysis, alopecia.
    Special Senses: Transient blurred vision, xanthopsia.

    Urogenital: Impotence.

     
    Old 05-05-2004, 04:23 PM   #4
    jtu91952
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Location: western ny
    Posts: 942
    jtu91952 HB User
    Re: Diuretic that does NOT cause Hair loss?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vipergg22
    HCT side effects , notice under skin alopecia which is hair loss .

    Body as a Whole: Weakness.
    Cardiovascular: Hypotension including orthostatic hypotension (may be aggravated by alcohol, barbiturates, narcotics or antihypertensive drugs).
    Digestive: Pancreatitis, jaundice (intrahepatic cholestatic jaundice), diarrhea, vomiting, sialadenitis, cramping, constipation, gastric irritation, nausea, anorexia.
    Hematologic: Aplastic anemia, agranulocytosis, leukopenia, hemolytic anemia, thrombocytopenia.
    Hypersensitivity: Anaphylactic reactions, necrotizing angiitis (vasculitis and cutaneous vasculitis), respiratory distress including pneumonitis and pulmonary edema, photosensitivity, fever, urticaria, rash, purpura.
    Metabolic: Electrolyte imbalance (see PRECAUTIONS), hyperglycemia, glycosuria, hyperuricemia.
    Musculoskeletal: Muscle spasm.
    Nervous System/Psychiatric: Vertigo, paresthesias, dizziness, headache, restlessness.
    Renal: Renal failure, renal dysfunction, interstitial nephritis. (See WARNINGS.)
    Skin: Erythema multiforme including Stevens-Johnson syndrome, exfoliative dermatitis including toxic epidermal necrolysis, alopecia.
    Special Senses: Transient blurred vision, xanthopsia.

    Urogenital: Impotence.
    Are you saying these are all possible side effects of hctz. This med doesn't sound to me like a diabetic person should be taking it. I've been taking this med since 1999 and was never told the side effects. I notice my hair was thinning a little and I just had eye surgery due to try eye. Do you know if it can be taken with verapamil and avapro? Wait until i see my endo. If hctz has all these side effects then that explains why somedays I feel great and other days I can't get out of bed. I thought it was the lisinopril.

     
    Old 05-05-2004, 06:57 PM   #5
    vipergg22
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Feb 2002
    Location: Rochester
    Posts: 223
    vipergg22 HB User
    Re: Diuretic that does NOT cause Hair loss?

    It has the potential to cause some of these in people , is it going to cause a lot of these in people , the answer is probably no but you can't rule it out . It is on the list for a reason because it has been seen in some people . A lot of people take diuretics without any problems other than running to bathroom more often .

     
    Old 05-06-2004, 05:32 AM   #6
    zip2play
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Apr 2002
    Location: Jersey City, NJ
    Posts: 2,896
    zip2play HB User
    Re: Diuretic that does NOT cause Hair loss?

    I agree with viper,

    If the listed side-effects occurred with any regularity, there would be NO drugs in the pharmacopeia....even aspirin.

    That rare alopecia (hair loss) is common to lots of drugs. It's a PATCHY loss of hair- not thinning- that is generally completely reversible.

    I've knows dozens of people on HCTZ over the years (it was the FIRST real BP med developed a half century ago)...and NEVER seen a case of alopecia....probably choking on the tiny pill is more likely.

     
    Old 05-06-2004, 10:44 AM   #7
    jtu91952
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Location: western ny
    Posts: 942
    jtu91952 HB User
    Re: Diuretic that does NOT cause Hair loss?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zip2play
    I agree with viper,

    If the listed side-effects occurred with any regularity, there would be NO drugs in the pharmacopeia....even aspirin.

    That rare alopecia (hair loss) is common to lots of drugs. It's a PATCHY loss of hair- not thinning- that is generally completely reversible.

    I've knows dozens of people on HCTZ over the years (it was the FIRST real BP med developed a half century ago)...and NEVER seen a case of alopecia....probably choking on the tiny pill is more likely.
    Thank you zip, i was beginning to wonder why am i hear. I do have some muscle weakness, but nothing like with the toprol xl or the zetia. i can tolerate alot of pain, but not my heart, back or brain. I had thinning hair not hair loss. It has since cleared up and i am back to my old self. You are a wealth of info.

     
    Old 08-05-2005, 05:47 PM   #8
    mszeester
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    mszeester's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Posts: 6
    mszeester HB User
    Re: Diuretic that does NOT cause Hair loss?

    does this hczt cause hair loss? i just looked on the ***** site and i didn't see that mentioned in the side effects.

    if there anyone out there, as these posts are old, now find that the hair loss problem has been resolved and if so, approximately how long did it take to stop seeing hair everywhere on the floor?

     
    Old 08-05-2005, 07:03 PM   #9
    lane413
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    lane413's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Posts: 515
    lane413 HB User
    Re: Diuretic that does NOT cause Hair loss?

    According to viper's post, yes hctz can cause alopecia which is hair loss. I know my mom had alot of hair loss when she took hctz. It is now growing back to normal.

     
    Old 12-23-2005, 07:38 AM   #10
    babag
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    babag's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2003
    Location: marshall, mi, usa
    Posts: 176
    babag HB User
    Re: Diuretic that does NOT cause Hair loss?

    i was just diagnosed with acute pancreatitis in the er with pain in my middle back and thru to my chest. my dr. is taking me off hgtz water pill that i had been taking for a month. he said this could have caused it. going in for ultrasound and more blood work. he has be on liquids for a few days.

     
    Old 12-23-2005, 11:34 AM   #11
    wiredqs
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    wiredqs's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Location: USA
    Posts: 400
    wiredqs HB User
    Re: Diuretic that does NOT cause Hair loss?

    I had hair loss with hctz,atenelol and lisinipril (along with some other nasty side effects) Had no problems with furosemide. I think that I have heard that diabetics should not take either one, as a regular treatment, because of it's effect on the kidneys.

     
    Old 12-24-2005, 01:52 PM   #12
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    Lenin's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2004
    Posts: 8,456
    Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: Diuretic that does NOT cause Hair loss?

    I've not haad a problem withh 25 years of HCTZ nor any problem so far with furosemide (Lasix!)

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Does PCOS cause rapid hair loss? pila99 Hair Loss / Alopecia 2 08-05-2012 01:37 PM
    Hair loss theory - does this sound reasonable? MomInApril Hair Loss / Alopecia 5 08-09-2010 01:43 PM
    Does Levothyrox cause hair loss? Please HELP!!! Mrs_Richie Hair Loss / Alopecia 41 03-23-2007 06:48 AM
    does Nioxin help? tandjsmom Hair Problems 5 01-20-2007 07:44 PM
    diuretic - hair loss & dandruff 2muchdrugs28 Hair Loss / Alopecia 4 04-23-2006 05:26 AM
    Please Someone Answer This Does It Sound Like Hypo? sey Thyroid Disorders 12 08-23-2005 10:47 AM
    How does Biotin help Accutane hair loss? howhorrible Hair Loss / Alopecia 15 04-02-2005 02:29 PM
    Accutane DOES cause hair loss... King Humbert Hair Loss / Alopecia 12 07-14-2004 12:47 PM
    Mastubation does it cause hair loss help2me Hair Loss / Alopecia 2 06-14-2004 04:46 AM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:53 PM.





    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!