It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board

• 18 and losing hair? Dyed 2x.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-24-2004, 11:14 AM   #1
    glockkenspiel
    (male)

glockkenspiel HB User
    18 and losing hair? Dyed 2x.

Yea, as the title implies, i am an 18 year old male, going to be 19 at the end of August, and im losing hair on the top back of my head (crown?). I went to the doctor yesterday and he said "its just male pattern baldness." He didnt ask me what my eating habits were, my stress level, nothing. My family doesnt have a history of male pattern baldness either, and knowing this, the doctor said "regardless of past history, i still feel its male pattern baldness." He said this, knowing that I dyed my hair black with permanent dye in late April, as well as at the beginning of June. When I dyed it at the beginning of June, my scalp was burning, but nothing intolerable (pretty close though). My eating habits have been total crap the past month, but I havent had any stress. I also wasnt very consistent with conditioning my hair. So, I lose about 25 strands in the shower each day. I know its normal to lose 100 per day, but not in such a centralized location! The doctor suggested Rogaine as well as Propecia, but then immediately claimed that "neither of them work". Personally I feel that this doc is full of crap and that its the dye that did it. Has anyone else had this happen to them at this age / from dying their hair?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2004, 12:55 AM   #2
    MULIS

MULIS HB User
    Re: 18 and losing hair? Dyed 2x.

happening to me right now. 18, 19 in oct. Im losing it on the front. I died my hair a year and a half ago and it had no effect. But i recently moved out of my parents house just last year and my hair has got worse and worse since then. One thing that definetly changed when i moved out was my eating habits, i eat complete crap now so could be a possibility. Maybe stress, my lifes fairly stressful. I dont know what else to do either really man.

Old 07-28-2004, 02:07 PM   #3
    reni
    Senior Veteran

reni HB User

Hair dye doesn't cause baldness. It could cause your hair to break off, but not to stop growing. That's genetic.

Old 07-28-2004, 11:14 PM   #4
    july555
    (male)

july555 HB User

hey buddy:

I am in my low 20's. Like you, I started losing my hair at around 18 too. I know exactly what you are going through. It is very frustrating and difficult to start losing hair so young. But don't worry life will go on, it sure did for me. I have used propecia since I was 19. It works ok, it slowed down the thinning in front and grew hair in the back of my head. I had an adverse reaction to Rogain, but would recommend at least giving it a shot. Try out these 2 drugs, I hope they work for you.

While my hair is noticably thinner now, about 4 years after I started losing, I still have a full head of hair. Just to let you know, there are alot of new options in study, maybe us young guys will be able to benefit soon. I wouldn't suggest strip replacement surgery for your hair either, it looks horrifying, Id rather be bald than go through that type of surgery.

Good luck

Old 07-29-2004, 05:47 PM   #5
    Magnetic
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Magnetic HB UserMagnetic HB User

Diet can speed up hair loss and if your scalp stung from the dye, then it might possibly have caused a temporary hair loss. I suggest you improve your diet and refrain from dying your hair. If your hair does not start to grow back, then you need to deal with male pattern baldness.

Old 08-01-2004, 07:55 AM   #6
    boogabear
    (male)

boogabear HB Userboogabear HB Userboogabear HB User

Hey, the diet may not do anything for your hair but it will improve your health and that is a lot more important than a full head of hair.
    Accept it. I lost mine in early 20s and my kids don't remember their dad with hair.
    Regrettably you will get not discount at the barber but you will save money on shampoo, mousse, and hair dryers. Have a full life and don't give your hair any more attention than it deserves. Milady will enjoy caressing your bald head instead of running her fingers through your hair.

Closed Thread