It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board

• 20yr old strange hair loss, fungus?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-21-2005, 03:50 PM   #1
    fastjack
    (male)

fastjack HB User
    20yr old strange hair loss, fungus?

i have been experiencing a quick hair loss that i am at a loss to explain, despite as much research as i could do. I would definately seek out the help of a doctor, but i am uninsured and doubt i could afford the bills.

IF THIS POST IS TOO LONG PLEASE AT LEAST READ THE PARAGRAPH LABELED POINT

i think that some background about when it all started is needed:
    on August 1st i movedfrom san jose california up vancouver washington (across from portland) in order to live with my younger brother who was suicidal at the time (we were always very close), in order to see if my presence would help him. I never experienced much hair loss back in california, when my hair grew long (past my chin?) and i tied it back with a rubber band there would be some hairs in the rubber band, but that is all. I dont remember when i first started noticing all the hair about the apartment, but i remember it was during cleaning, in october i would guess. At first i thought it was normal and because i was never solely responsible for cleaning before i figured that my mothers daily cleaning had kept it out of site.
    In late november though it started to trouble me as a noticed my hair was very thin on either side of the front of my brow (not in the center). I started paying more attention and realized that i had started having to shower every day and there was an alarming amount of hair in the shower drain after each time. i had started showering so often because my scalp would start to itch badly after more than 24 hours of going unwashed, also dandruff i had always had to some extant seemed much worse. (before i could go unwashed for maybe even up to a week before the itching was so severe). So i got some head and shoulders dry scalp shampoo and conditioner and used that, the first day it seemed promising, as the second day there seemed to be less hair in the drain, also i could go two days without showering before the bad itching, but once i tried to get back to my old every other day showering the problem was back where it had been, and reverting to once a day showering hasnt helped. Right now the patches on either side of my brow are almost bare, also they have broken out in what appears to be pimples near the 'new' hair line. The rest of my hair seems somewaht thinner, though that could be my imagination.

ideas:

genetic hair loss: Problem here is neither of my parents nor any of my grand parents has hair loss, not even my 92 year old grandfather (maternal) who has about a full head of hair. Hair loss is rare/nonexistant among my uncles and cousins as well. Also my 18 year old brother leaves as much hair in the drain as i do, and it comes out regularly when he runs his hand through his hair as well. (dont notice thinning on him, though that may be as his hair is thicker, darker, and curly)

stress: after all i uprooted, came to live with my suicidal brother and couldnt find work for months, while having to find ways to pay the bills. Also fell into a depression of my own. Also my brother is losing his hair as well, also under stress. And i dont really know to many people in my new place. Problem here is that its supposed to grow back in 3-4 months, and ive been here six and it seems to fall out more rather than less. Also once i got a job and money was secure and i was meeting people didnt get better (3 months ago). Also this weird fuzz i see (more later)

climate: i was thinking maybe the colder wetter climate, but when it started it was hardly cold or wet, id seen worse every winter of my life.

diet: when i came up here i stopped what had been a high protein diet and seriour excercising, especially heavy weightlifting. I always took daily vitamins (calcium and a onceaday multivitamin) and hadnt been on the diet long, though id always lifted weights regularly. Also the diet since ive been here has been a lot of junk food. Problems here ive started working out again and eating better and taking vitamins again, no improvement. Brother also has poor diet, but not the other factors. What about the fuzz??

POINT: Fungus/mites: This is the conclusion ive been led to, since i noticed it mentioned as a possible cause for dandruff and itching and maybe hair loss. This is a big reason i got the head and shoulders since it contains a fungicide. Also i noticed strange blue with white fuzz (in large amounts) in the drain with the hair. Also when combing through my hair before a shower (to check) i noticed white fuzz on the comb that when i smushed it together it became a blue lint looking ball, something ive noticed with hairs on the carpet, on my pillow, on my matress and around the house in general, always assuming it was lint since i often wear a favorite blur hooded sweatshirt (these blue balls). The 'lint' balls resemble the stuff in the drain to a degree (blueer though). If its fungus why didnt the shampoo get rid of it? maybe these lint things around the house are also fungus and i pick it up, how to clean the whole apartment? what caused it to begin with ? recently read something about mites, viable? how to clean apartment of hair mites? anyone heard of this, or to wild? anyone experienced it? help?!?!

Most other explanations: what about this weird fuzz??

misc: hair is down to about my mouth now
    hair comes out just about every time i run my hand through my hair
    hair that comes out (or is about the apartment) is many different lengths, generally long

if i omitted anything please ask about it, also what other boards might i post this to? are there any hair loss docs who do advice through email?

IF THIS POST IS TOO LONG PLEASE AT LEAST READ THE PARAGRAPH LABELED POINT, thank anyone who can help out in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2005, 02:32 AM   #2
    Kathie T.
    (female)

Kathie T. HB User
    Re: 20yr old strange hair loss, fungus?

It sounds like mine, but I am female. The root of my hair is very depleted and the hair falls out because it is not rooted. My scalp is very itchy and dry as I have eczema. So my doc gave me cortizone to put on my head, but I haven't seen any changes. I was checked for fungus but don't have it. Can you go to a free clinic or a doctor? They would be able to easily see if you had fungus or something else.

Closed Thread