It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board

• Has any one ever tried saw palmetto for hair loss

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-02-2005, 03:31 PM   #1
    Ferth
    (male)

Ferth HB User
    Question Has any one ever tried saw palmetto for hair loss

Recently, a good scientific study showed that saw palmetto can reduce DHT. The study focused on the prostate to see if it would shrink (which it did) but one could say that the herb <I>might</I> help with hair loss if it reduced DHT levels. I just would like to know if anyone has used the herb for this purpose, and if they noticed their hair improve.

I'm a little curious about this one. I still have a full head of hair, but have noticed it thinning out a bit and falling out more readily. I know their could be other causes for hair loss, but i feel fine otherwise.

Anyway this is probably the only treatment I'm willing to try, since it's cheap.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2005, 04:09 AM   #2
    Sun-moon
    (female)

Sun-moon HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Has any one ever tried saw palmetto for hair loss

Hi, I've been thinking about taking this supplement aswell. I know my general thinning is due to hormones (too much testosterone). I've been taking 'Nourkrin' for over six months and I think the general condition is definately improving at the roots, but may take longer for the ends.
    If you are prone to hormone imblances I think the contraceptive pill makes things worse aswell.
    Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Old 09-11-2005, 09:22 AM   #3
    Ferth
    (male)

Ferth HB User
    Re: Has any one ever tried saw palmetto for hair loss

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sun-moon
    Hi, I've been thinking about taking this supplement aswell. I know my general thinning is due to hormones (too much testosterone). I've been taking 'Nourkrin' for over six months and I think the general condition is definately improving at the roots, but may take longer for the ends.
    If you are prone to hormone imblances I think the contraceptive pill makes things worse aswell.
    Good luck and let me know how you get on.
    Well, I am a man, so I don't need to worry about contraceptive pills.

Well, I bought the palmetto caplets and am taking 4 a day, I figure a 12 dollar bottle will last 2.5 months this way.

I am concerned about whether or not the caplets of the brand I'm taking have a good dose of the chemicles that bind with DHT. So I may be taking a bad brand compaired to others. I would do some research but there has been no studies on the herb for this use, and no comparisons between brands for this use.

So I'm shooting in the dark. For this reason, I decided to buy a brand that just sold the ground up berries in capsule form. This way, I'm not taking any berry extracts that may or may not have the proper balence of chemicles.

I'll post something on what happed in however many months.

Also, I saw 'Nourkrin' costs 60 dollars, how long does that supply last? It may be a good deal and worth a try latter on.

I saw that they were advertising towards women, is it a woman thing?

Last edited by Ferth; 09-11-2005 at 09:23 AM.

Old 09-11-2005, 06:59 PM   #4
    Hitmen
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hitmen HB User

Saw Palmetto has been called the natural Propecia by some but it's also not considered a relaible hair loss fighter by many. The main reason being that there aren't any studies that show Saw Palmetto can halt hair loss. Now, there are lots of studies to suggest it helps with the prostate. Propecia/Finasteride was first made as a prostrate drug. Take that for what it's worth...

Old 09-13-2005, 02:35 AM   #5
    Sun-moon
    (female)

Sun-moon HB User

Sorry Ferth, I assumed you were female....I've also heard that it helps prostate problems, but I don't see how it can do any harm.
    I prefer natural remedies and although 'Nourkrin' works out about 50.00 per month, you can get it cheaper on {removed} .
    It's aimed at women, and it helped to a certain extent, but I think I need to try something else.
    I hope the saw palmetto works for you and it would be good to hear how you get on.

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 09-13-2005 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Read posting rules. No websites.

Closed Thread