It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board

• Im 18 and have been losing hair since 17.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-02-2005, 09:53 PM   #1
    Giant_Squid
    (male)

Giant_Squid HB User
    Im 18 and have been losing hair since 17.

Ive looked at the other threads in this forum and have noticed that there a few threads about hair loss at a young age but none of them quite answered my questions.

My birthday is March 2nd and when I was 17 and it was about 2 weeks before I turned 18 I noticed that morning that an unusual amount of hair was on the bathtub floor. I didn't think much of it but ever since that day my hair started to show up in increasing amount on the shower floor. So I started to get a little worried but didn't say anything. Then a couple weeks after I turned 18 my dad noticed and said that im going to end up looking like him by the time im 25. And my dad is mostly bald on top with a little bit in the middle. Now I don't want to look like my dad at such a young age.
    But my hair to this day continues to fall out regularly, ive gotten somewhat use to it but now im starting to notice the effect its having on my hair. Its strange though, my mom says that she can now see where im getting a bald spot. And on the right side of my head my hair is starting to thin pretty badly. Its strange though since the left side of my head seems to be fine. Ive asked my mom to get me some rogain but I don't know if that stuff would work. Also ive thought about seeing a doctor but we haven't had the time lately.
    I have seen in some of the other threads that combing your hair can help. And i'll be honest I haven't combed my hair in years, I usually wash it and then "comb" it with my fingers. Other than that I think im way way to young to be losing my hair and I want it back or at least to stop falling out. What should I do. And what could be the reason/s for my hair loss.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2005, 07:59 AM   #2
    red_sar
    (male)

red_sar HB User
    Re: Im 18 and have been losing hair since 17.

Hey Mr Squid

Im twenty one and have experienced hair loss since since I was eighteen. To be honest, you don't have to go and see the doctor but it will give you peace of mind. Firstly, you have to know if it is hereditary baldness or not. Usually with baldness, you get it from your mother's side, plus these things have a habit of skipping generations. For example, my mum is fine (dad is slowly thinning but he is 55) but me and my brother are both thinning. Look or ask your grandparents when they went bald. If its not ehreditary, theres hope og regrowing some or all of your hair back, and the Doctor will help.

If it is hereditary, rogaine may help. I am using it at the moment, its not expensive but 30 a month, so if your a student its still quite steep. Plus, it doesn't work for anyone. I use it more for psycological reasons, because i know it's the only thing stopping me from going completely bald before I finish University. It slows the process down for me but its not stopped it. Try it for a few months perhaps and see how you go.

Also, is your baldness noticeable? Mine was geting that was by 19 so i shaved it all off with clipers. Ive not got a crewcut whcih has ebcome a part of me...folk didnt like it at first but they get use to it. most folk still dont know im balding because of it and I have a bit more confidence.

Basiclaly losing your hair so young sucks. I know, but the older you get, you begin to come to accept it. I've not got there, btu i'm getting better.

the only other things I can say is to keep washing your hair, keep your scalp in good condition. Also, zinc supplements are supposed to help, as is a healthy diet. It's all worth considering, btu at the end of the day, you might be bald by 25- don't want to shock you but it may be the truth.

Old 12-03-2005, 01:37 PM   #3
    Giant_Squid
    (male)

Giant_Squid HB User

Well crap, all my grandparents are dead so I can't ask them. And if I remember right my grandfather on my moms side had thin hair when he died at 89. And what kind of food has lots of zinc, or do I have to take vitamin like pills to get the zinc.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-31-2005 at 05:11 AM. Reason: please delete long quotes

Old 12-03-2005, 03:47 PM   #4
    Daphnee

Daphnee HB User

Somewhere in your family, a male has what the "experts" refer to as male pattern baldness. This is genetic, and has been passed to you and unfortunately there is nothing to stop it. My brother is alos going bald and he just 21, he isn't too happy with it, but it runs in our family. Take your vitamins and you will be fine.

Closed Thread