It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board

• ALOPECIA - need help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-13-2006, 09:22 AM   #1
    stressfulme1128
    (female)

stressfulme1128 HB User
    Unhappy ALOPECIA - need help

I desperately need some advice on this. I started developing what looks like Alopecia. I went to my doctor and he said it was from my thyroid. I went for blood work and sure enough the thyroid levels were off. I starting taking thyroid meds and it seemed to get better but now after a while of taking the meds my hair is starting once again to fall out in clumps. I get quarter sized bald spots and this is terrible. I am female and this just really does make one feel very self conscious. I really need some advice on what does work for this hair loss. I did hear from a friend of a friend that they had to go for injections but I really don't want to do this. I hope that someone has some good advice on what to use from either a vitamin shop or even some natural home rememedy. I know there are so many normal houselhold items that help for different things and I'm sure there has to be something to help with Alopecia without having to take prescripition drugs. I believe this is what started the whole thing. PLEASE HELP! :-(

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2006, 04:20 AM   #2
    Kathie T.
    (female)

Kathie T. HB User
    Re: ALOPECIA - need help

I am 26, female, just got diagnosed with Alopecia Areata. It is horrible. I am trying to put it in perspective. Why don't you want to get the shots? I am going to try that, but I am going this week to get a human hair hairpeice. My doctor was willing to give me what I wanted, but say why put the drugs in your body just to have hair? So I am vitamining up, and we'll see. My eyelashes started going today. Never thought I'd be dealing with this. By any chance did you have Mono? I am wondering if there is a connection. My problems all started after I got mono five years ago.

Last edited by Kathie T.; 03-17-2006 at 04:25 AM.

Old 03-18-2006, 12:04 PM   #3
    SarahSt

SarahSt HB User

Hi Katie and stressfulme

I will try and help as much as I can.

natural remedies I have found to be helpful are as follows:

1) There is a wonderful chines herb I found years ago given to me by a chinese doctor I visited. This pill is round like a ball, black and you take (if memory serves) 3 pills, 3 times a day... You will have to find a natural chinese doctor or herbalist. This herb is specifically for alopecia or what the chinese call "the devil's haircut". This medication definately helped with my hair loss..

2) Raw ginger: At the grocery store you should be able to buy raw ginger root. cut it into thin pieces and rub the slices on the scalp in the areas that are bald. Your scalp will become red and warm but helps with circulation.

3) Garlic: Use the same as ginger

4) If your stressed: try not to be... meditate, cut down on coffee, etc.. I believe with my whole heart that stress is a major factor... more later on the stress thing though=))

5) If your looking for natural remedies there is a wonderful great amazing book that I live by called "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" by James F Balch md and they have a whole section on different herbs, vitamins and food recommendations to help with Alopecia and also thyroid issues. Great Resource. I just bought my mom a copy at Barnes and Nobles online store.

6) I have found over the past 23 years (of having alopecia) that the times when I keep my hair the longest are the times when I am working out, eating right and sleeping well. When I am stressed and not necessarly taking care of my self is when the alopecia is at its worst.. Normally but not always...

For me my hair loss has always come and gone in cycles.. sometimes again depending on the circumstances the alopecia will be just a few spots to completely bald with eyelashes gone and everything!!

I have alot of other things I have tried and will be more than happy to share my experiences and what I have learned with you.. Hope this information helps you!!!

Old 03-19-2006, 06:34 AM   #4
    Kathie T.
    (female)

Kathie T. HB User

Sarah,

Did you ever try the cortizone injections in the scalp? What were your results?

Old 03-19-2006, 02:27 PM   #5
    SarahSt

SarahSt HB User

HI.. No I never did any type of cortizone injections.. When I first got Alopecia they didn't know anything about it and had few treatments that were all in the testing phase.. and I preferred to try the natural way. Have you tried them as of yet and if so how are they working? =))

Old 03-26-2006, 08:57 AM   #6
    Kathie T.
    (female)

Kathie T. HB User

It was a hard decision, but I decided NOT to try them. I heard they are painfull with side effects. Why go through that just for hair? In my mind cortizone shots when I was little played a role in health problems I have today. So I decided to bite the bullet and get a wig. My wig guy is awesome. He has alopeica patients and really is understanding doing what he can to cut the price. It is human hair. Anyways I noticed this week that my bald spots didn't look as obvious and say new hair coming in! In two. The two in the back of my head are still completely smooth. Oh well. I mourned my hair and now I am getting a wig, and this will be a distant memory. Why do hard core medicine just for hair!?

Old 03-30-2006, 01:17 PM   #7
    SarahSt

SarahSt HB User

Thats great!!! all of it... your decision about not getting the shots and that you have "fuzzies" on the spots and a great hair dresser and a beautiful human hair wig!!!. I love it when the fuzzies start its the best time in the world.. I just walk around bald but I can definately understand how a wig helps to make life easier... Looks like I am going to have my hair back around Christmas time... maybe sooner the fuzz is growing like crazy which I don't understand since I am probably the most stressed I have ever been in my life.. maybe moderate stress is bad and major stress is good... who knows!! I am just glad it's growing back.. Again Congrats!! and talk to you soon...Sarah

Old 04-05-2006, 12:54 PM   #8
    Safc-Chick
    (female)

Safc-Chick HB User

Hiya my mam has alopecia, think shes had it for about 10 years now she has no hair at all, she's tried lots of things the injections, sunbeds (special ones not just your usual) she got a great tan but no hair, plus other stuff reccomended by the doctor.
    She wears wigs, she finds it really hard to cope with, but she's a worrier no matter how hard she tries not too.
    Every year she goes for a routine checkup at the hospital but they say the same all the time - sorry theres no new treatment available for you to try.

The last few years shes had some white hair starting to grow but its gets to about 1cm then stops but its not all over either and its very thin, we thought it meant there was some hope but the docs say its not real hair, what ever that means.

Although the injections never worked for my mam I would'nt suggest not trying them they might just work for you.

Closed Thread