It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board

• HELP! scalp condition causing hair loss

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-11-2006, 04:27 PM   #1
    goinginsane
    (female)

goinginsane HB User
    HELP! scalp condition causing hair loss

Hi, I've been suffering with hair loss and a serious unknown scalp condition for 3 years now. I have been to four doctors, two of which are dermatologist, and they are still dumbfounded to what could be causing this.

I use to have extremely thick hair and due to this mystery condition I have lost over 30 percent of my hair. I do suffer from high stress and I have OCD which contributes to the problem. I have tried Doxycycline(?), t-sal/ t-gel, and various shampoo's I have gotten from the dermatologist, and nothing is working. I am at a lost and completely convinced I'm going bald. My whole extended family has healthy hair and no one other than my Mom seems to get what I'm going through.

I am positive that this scalp condition is causing this.

My symptoms are:

extremely itchy scalp

red circles all over scalp (the size of a quater)

white, greasy, flakes all over scalp (worsens if shower isn't taken)

white flakes that almost look like little bulbs

scalp odder that worsens if i don't take a shower

oozing pimples (sorry to be gross)

sensitive scalp

glands in back of head pop out

Have any of you experienced this? I'm losing 300 plus hairs a day and going bald quickly. If anyone can give me insight I'd greatly appreciate it. thank you !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2006, 07:09 PM   #2
    divadebi
    (female)

divadebi HB User
    Re: HELP! scalp condition causing hair loss

There is a condition that has to do with with the thyroid and ovaries. Have you had weight gain? I can't remember the name of the condition, but it is definitely something to do with hormones and/or thyroid causing your system to be out of balance and loss of the hair is a major symptom. You might want to google hair loss + thyroid and see what comes up. Good luck! I have the same itchy scalp but my hair isn't falling out, just regular dandruff I suppose.

Old 04-11-2006, 07:11 PM   #3
    divadebi
    (female)

divadebi HB User

Addendum to last post -- the name Polycystic disease -- try that. (Memory is kinda getting bad) heheheh

Old 04-13-2006, 01:37 PM   #4
    holst
    (female)

holst HB User

That sounds like it could be Seborrheic Dermatitis which can cause hair loss. Or it could be a type of lupus called discoid lupus that affects only skin and is not the same as systemic lupus. Skin lesions are one symptom of this. You might try going to an endocrinologist to see if you have any hormone imbalances.

Old 04-22-2006, 01:35 AM   #5
    CINDERELLA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CINDERELLA HB User

My hair has been falling out for the last few months, I went to the doctor who did bloods, checked thyroid, hormones etc. The only thing out was my iron, it is very low. I am now taking iron pills and multi vits.

Stress can cause hair loss, apparently you lose a lot of vitamins during stress, I also suffer anxiety and have had an itchy scalp (none of your other symptoms though) since I have stopped worrying about it the itching has stopped. I also read itching can be stress related. (tried the special shampoo in case it was fungal related but hasnt helped)

You need to find out the reason for the hairloss through a doctor, then you need to reassure yourself so you can stop worrying and relax.

Best wishes, its really horrible for you I know.

Old 04-30-2006, 12:29 AM   #6
    goinginsane
    (female)

goinginsane HB User

Thank you for writing back, it's deeply appreciated. I would have responded earlier but I didn't have access to the Internet.

I went to the doctor this week and he ran more test. Everything contributing to hair loss was checked and completely fine. My doctor swears I have Seborrheic Dermatitis, I however disagree. I have used every shampoo the dermatologist has ever given me, 3 years worth, for that condition and nothing has worked. My hair actually falls out worse when using the shampoo.

It's been 3 years of no answers. I'm finding myself getting more depressed than ever. I just want to shave off all my hair and live a normal life without crying after I get out of the shower or when I brush my hair. I get told by the doctors that I'm exaggerating or that "I'm just thinning on top, it happens as we grow older" but I know 300+ hairs isn't normal.

I guess it's time to search for dermatologist out of the area..

thanks again for responding

Old 04-30-2006, 02:00 AM   #7
    boricuaitaliano
    (male)

boricuaitaliano HB User

I also have a itchy scalp and my hair is thinning in the area where it itches. I went to my doctor and she said I have seborrheic dermatitis which I disagree. I dont see large amounts of flakes and really I dont see a rash.
    I was on the net doing a search on seborrheic dermatitis and none of those pictures look like what I have.
    {REMOVED}. You could have Tinea

Last edited by msmod; 04-30-2006 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Don't post "how to" search instructions. Ms_Mod

Old 04-30-2006, 07:24 AM   #8
    msmod

msmod HB Usermsmod HB Usermsmod HB Usermsmod HB Usermsmod HB Usermsmod HB Usermsmod HB Usermsmod HB Usermsmod HB Usermsmod HB Usermsmod HB User

Don't post "how to" search instructions.

Ms_Mod

Old 05-01-2006, 08:16 PM   #9
    CINDERELLA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CINDERELLA HB User

No 300 hairs is not normal, do you have bald spots or overall thinning, does the hair grow back, I dont know how you have stood it so long, I have been losing mine the last few months and some days I just freak (200 one day, I was a wreck all day) stress doesnt help and I find when I dont worry about it the itching goes. I am hoping its just the lack of iron. I hear if your diet is bad especially low in protein that can cause problems. Yes I would try another derm, cant they scrape your head and test the skin? So sorry for you, wish I could help more.

Closed Thread