It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board

• High Cholesterol and hair loss?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-30-2006, 08:46 PM   #1
    help_needed
    (male)

help_needed HB User
    Question High Cholesterol and hair loss?

Im 19 years old and just recently started losing a lot of hair. I recently did a blood test and the only abnormality was that my cholesterol was too high.
    Could this be causing my hair loss??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2006, 09:18 PM   #2
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User
    Re: High Cholesterol and hair loss?

Look at your eyebrows...is the outer 1/3 of them gone are thinning? If it is, it is a thyroid problem, (most likely).

Old 07-01-2006, 02:40 AM   #3
    help_needed
    (male)

help_needed HB User

Are there any other signs of a Thyroid problem because I wax my eyebrows and the dont really look thin to me.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:27 PM   #4
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Yes,....lots...I would look search (symptoms of hypo and hyper thyroid)...but can cause hair loss. Also your hormones could be out of wack.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:41 AM   #5
    help_needed
    (male)

help_needed HB User

no...I dont think its a thyroid problem I checked the symptoms and I have probably 3 out of the 40-60 symptoms...Hormones out of wack? how so? do I need to do another blood test by an endochronologist???

Old 07-05-2006, 06:21 AM   #6
    liverock
    (male)

liverock HB User

There is a connection between high cholesterol and male pattern baldness according to a study reported in The Archives of Internal Medicine.24th January 2000;160:165-171

The report went on to say that compared with subjects with no hair loss those with some form of baldness faced the following increases in CHD;

9% with frontal baldness only
    23% with mild vertex baldness
    32% with moderate vertex baldness
    36% with severe vertex baldness.

I personally think that cholesterol is only one factor in male pattern hairloss.

Conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is probably the main factor as well as low levels of sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG). Unfortunately we cant go into this here its too big a subject.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-28-2007 at 05:59 AM.

Old 07-05-2006, 10:56 AM   #7
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

I think that male pattern baldness has NOTHING to do with high cholesterol. They keep blaming anything they can get their hands on to high cholesterol. You do see that that article was printed in 2000....That is ancient history regarding cholesterol. If they were to say that male pattern baldness could be an indicator to heart disease...I could possibly see that, since so many variables are included. But for them to jump over the fence and include it with cholesterol is uncalled for. THe original framingham study on heart disease had over 200 varaibles for heart disease. The drug industry picked out the one that had the most potential for them (cholesterol). Baldness in men was one indicator....also being married to a highly intelligent woman (is there a pill for that?)

Old 07-05-2006, 10:58 AM   #8
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Oh, by the way , you need to see a dermatologist for your hair loss.

Old 07-05-2006, 06:35 PM   #9
    lane413
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lane413 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by finres
    Oh, by the way , you need to see a dermatologist for your hair loss.

Finres, you do excellent research and give great advice, but you forgot to mention that the lack of certain vitamins and minerals can cause hair loss as well. Also, too much vitamin a can cause hair loss.

Like you, I first thought of a thyroid problem. My mom had grave's disease and her hair grew very long, and and she lost weight quickly. After treatment with rai, she gained 13 lbs in seven days, and her hair became brittle and broken. She's on medication now and she's fine.

Old 07-05-2006, 08:12 PM   #10
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lane413
    Finres, you do excellent research and give great advice, but you forgot to mention that the lack of certain vitamins and minerals can cause hair loss as well. Also, too much vitamin a can cause hair loss.

Like you, I first thought of a thyroid problem. My mom had grave's disease and her hair grew very long, and and she lost weight quickly. After treatment with rai, she gained 13 lbs in seven days, and her hair became brittle and broken. She's on medication now and she's fine.

Thank you about the research. I think you're correct about the vitamins.. Not enough as well as too many could pose a problem. However it could also be a scalp problem. I think a good D.O. might be of some use. They seem much more "in tune" with how the body works as opposed to M.D.'s. I still would have a thyroid test done, including Free T3, which is the active part of the thyroid hormone.

Old 07-06-2006, 08:59 AM   #11
    liverock
    (male)

liverock HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by finres
    I think that male pattern baldness has NOTHING to do with high cholesterol.
    You think or you know ? If you have the answer to male pattern balding the world will sit at your feet!

Quote:
    They keep blaming anything they can get their hands on to high cholesterol. You do see that that article was printed in 2000....That is ancient history regarding cholesterol.
    So that makes the Pauling /Rath research on cholesterol even more ancient history-1994, and presumably even more superceded?

Quote:
    If they were to say that male pattern baldness could be an indicator to heart disease...I could possibly see that, since so many variables are included.
    Your not reading the conclusion, it states "Vertex Pattern Baldness appears to be a marker for CHD events especially among men with hypertension and high cholesterol", not we would stake our lives on it.

Are you also blaming the researchers for including hypertension as well for causing CHD or is it just cholesterol?

Quote:
    Baldness in men was one indicator....also being married to a highly intelligent woman (is there a pill for that?)
    This type of baldness is usually caused by worry about how much alimony he will eventually have to fork out . .

Old 07-06-2006, 11:21 AM   #12
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

On the male pattern baldness, i said "i think"..this is my opinion, period. In regards to ancient history regarding cholesterol...Much of the old research on heart disease and cholesterol was/is bio-chemistry as they were not merely testing cholesterol, but heart disease. What we have now is complete speculation...of which when they do a trial they find out that it has no bearing. The problem now is they take an illness or problem and then try to link it with cholesterol. The tests and trails that are being done now include too many variables...If you were to research a population size that is required for the number of variables used, you would see that the size of the group is no where even close to the required number for a proper test...Now since i can see that you can pick things apart (and this is a good thing)..go back and read the entire report on some of the cholesterol studies not just the conclusion. Also you're not reading...."vertex pattern baldness....". The way it is stated Vertex pattern baldness is the marker for CHD... THis is the group...the sub-groups are hypertension, and high cholesterol...(I believe the reason for the original question was high cholesterol causing baldness). You cannot reverse the sub-goups to include the main groups. why? because it just isn't done that way.

Old 07-07-2006, 08:51 AM   #13
    liverock
    (male)

liverock HB User

Quote:
    The way it is stated Vertex pattern baldness is the marker for CHD... THis is the group...the sub-groups are hypertension, and high cholesterol...(I believe the reason for the original question was high cholesterol causing baldness). You cannot reverse the sub-goups to include the main groups. why? because it just isn't done that way.
    According to your theory then, there is no link between hypertension and CHD. I think most people will make their minds up otherwise on that one.

As far as cholesterol is concerned you can argue that the raised cholesterol levels are merely a secondary factor caused by some other damaging process going on in the arteries and the study acknowledges that this is probably true.

In other words cholesterol is probably the victim here and testosterone the culprit. I suppose the best example of high androgen levels is the weightlifter who takes anabolic steroids to raise his testosterone levels and ends up bald and with heart disease.

Whether the high cholesterol is caused by high testosterone or not, its a good enough marker for me to see a connection to male pattern baldness.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-28-2007 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Do not copy and paste others' info

Old 07-07-2006, 04:10 PM   #14
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

I never said that there is no connection between CHD and high blood pressure. There is enough evidence to suport this and I totally agree with it. I am still referring to the statement "Vertex pattern baldness appears to be a marker for increased risk of CHD events, expecially among men with hypertension or high cholesterol levels". You cannot regroup variables to make a new conclusion. Again the main group was vertex pattern baldness and CHD....Hypertension OR High cholesterol were subgroups. Even if the fact you were stating was true...this is not the reason for the test. The reason for the test was to associate vertex pattern balding with CHD. They also found this to be expecially true among men that had high blood pressure OR (and they do NOT say and) high cholesterol. (whether i agree with this is immaterial. I have found too many variables have been manipulated to fit with the wanted conclusion in many of the cholesterol tests and trials. Again we could come back to the firemen.. Just because I see firemen at house fires should I assume that they are the cause of House Fires? Using this cause and effect, it would be wise to get rid of firemen because then we wouldn't have house fires.

Closed Thread