It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board

• I think I'm losing my hair - HELP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-04-2006, 04:50 PM   #1
    glass_pockets
    (male)

glass_pockets HB User
    I think I'm losing my hair - HELP

I am convinced that I'm going bald. I'm a 19 year old male, and over the past 10 months or so I've been letting my hair grow (you know, first year of uni and all that). For quite a while now, I've been seeing hair in the bath, a few coming out as I comb the stuff in the morning. I don't think it's thinning all over or anything, more receding. My granda on my mum's side is bald, being in his late seventies, but I'm not entirely sure what it was like in his 20s.

My friends seem to find it hilarious that I'm fretting about it, since they just can't see what I'm so concerned about. My parents are the same - I told them how worried I was about it at the start of June, and they took a good look and said they really didn't think there was a problem. After this, I was still worried, and decided to go to the hairdresser's to see what they thought (I needed my hair cut anyway). The woman dealing with me, much like my parents and my friends, said she didn't see anything wrong.

Despite this, I'm still really down about it. I'm convinced it's happening, and I just don't want it to happen for another ten years at least. My hair was dreadful-looking when I was at school, since I never bothered much with styling it or anything. Only since I started growing it has it looked half-decent. I'm starting to actually appreciate my hair, and now it would appear that it's falling out.

What makes it worse is that I really do not suit my hair short. I'm geeky and a "neat" haircut just makes me look even worse. I just don't know how I will cope, since I'm pathetically self-conscious and insecure about my looks as it is.

I booked an appointment at the health centre a few weeks ago, and had a chat with the GP about it. He examined my hair, and told me that he couldn't see any evidence of hair loss through alopecia. He then got the nurse to carry out a few relevant blood tests, which all came back normal. On the one hand, I'm thinking that, well, I've asked the doctor and he's saying that nothing is wrong, yet I can't help thinking that what I'm experiencing isn't normal.

The drugs thing really interests me. I've heard stuff about Propecia before. Would a GP really prescribe that, though? I assumed it was ridiculously expensive. I've been considering the possibility of wigs (although, how pointlessly expensive would a wig be?). I do also recall Larry David in Curb Your Enthusiasm expressing his distaste at men who try to cover up their baldness. I imagine this is a rather prevailing attitude. Certainly, manifest self-loathing is probably considered less attractive amongst many people than baldness itself. I dunno. I probably would consider a wig (not a toupee - a full on wig) if I was losing my hair rapidly.

Sorry that this has turned into something of a therapy session. I just needed, quite desperately, to get it off my chest. And if anyone could give me any further information pertaining to the chance of me being prescribed Propecia (if indeed it does turn out that I'm losing my hair), that'd be great. Oh, and also - Nioxin. How much would one of those systems (the NIOXIN Cleanser, Scalp Therapy and Scalp Treatment) cost? I can't see anything about prices on the website.

Thanks for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2006, 09:34 PM   #2
    Lissie
    (female)

Lissie HB User
    Re: I think I'm losing my hair - HELP

One word...Nioxin cleanser and scalp therapy. I have been using it for about 4 months now and I can't believe how thick my hair is and how much is has grown!!! The first time I used it my scalp tingled all day!!! You can get it at professional hair salons.

Lissie

Old 08-07-2006, 01:33 AM   #3
    guitarplayer
    (male)

guitarplayer HB User

Are you sure you're receding though? Each day quite a few strands of hair can fall out naturally, for some people even around 100 per day is still normal. And the longer your hair is the more noticable the shedding is. Also growing your hair out might make it look like it is receding especially if you go from wearing it down over your forehead to combing it back or away from the face. Most males have a hairline that recedes a bit at the temples but it certainly doesn't always mean imminent baldness.

Last edited by guitarplayer; 08-07-2006 at 01:35 AM.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:10 PM   #4
    CINDERELLA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CINDERELLA HB User

Why dont you take a couple of photos and compare them to either old pics or your hair in a few months time. Trust me, I have lost about 1/3 of my hair through iron deficiency and no one can really tell, even though if I stand under a light I can see right through my once thick hair. I didnt realize I was losing hair until I saw really thin patches. I suggest you count the numbers of hairs coming out when you comb/brush in the morning to get an idea. I was losing around 60-80 and now im down to half that. Lots more come out when you wash it. It will be harder to notice a receding hairline. Good luck

Old 08-24-2006, 07:29 PM   #5
    Ppk487
    (male)

Ppk487 HB User

Sounds like my problem glass pockets. I think ill try nioxin too.

Old 08-26-2006, 08:01 PM   #6
    Metatheory
    (male)

Metatheory HB User

I was about 21 and went through a stage where I felt I was losing my hair. I went on Propecia for over a year. It is hard to tell if it worked or not because I was going through a lot of personal and work stress at the time and think that once I got those things under control the hair loss stabilized on its own.

Propecia works by blocking the breakdown of testosterone into dihydrotestosterone, a hormone that has a wide range of affects including male pattern baldness. If this is the cause for your hair loss then it may work. You should know that it, like Rogaine, only works on the crown and top of the head and will not stop a receding hair line.

I guess you need to find what the root cause of your hair loss is, or even if it's happening at all. The pictures are a very good idea. Your doctor can also check you out to see if hormones are in normal ranges. I've read that diet and nutrition play a big role in healthy hair too - reduce saturated fats and increase DHA and EPA intake, as well as increase soy isoflavones because they have an androgen-inhibitive effect. Talk to your doctor about Saw Palmetto extract - it naturally reduces the formation of dihydrotestosterone. I'd also suggest making sure that you don't have seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis or dandruff on your scalp. If you read the clinical trials for Rogaine and Propecia you will find that they required all test subjects to use Neutrogena T-Gel as a control.

Good luck with your journey!

Closed Thread