It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board

• Hair Loss Prevention

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-18-2007, 12:58 AM   #1
    SomePerson12
    Inactive
    (male)

SomePerson12 HB User
    Hair Loss Prevention

What can I do to prevent hair loss(receeding hairline) from happening anymore then it has? Shampoos? any other suggestions?

ThankS!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2007, 05:05 PM   #2
    Chris26MI
    (male)

Chris26MI HB User
    Re: Hair Loss Prevention

Someperson - let me counsel you

Im a male in my mid, approaching late twenties. I have made myself into a guinea pig for all of the hype out there on hair product. Lets look at the facts:

If there was such a thing as just a simple shampoo that would let your hair grow back and you'd have an afro-puff of hair, dont you think you'd have heard about it by now? (Referring to the shampoos that are supposed to help regrow hair - they dont!)

Its true that keeping your scalp clean with a regular ol' shampoo will keep the sebum out of your hair follicles on your scalp. That much is true. However, the true enemy is DHT - Dihydrotestosterone - is what kills your hair follices and makes your hair thin. After it thins so much guess what happens? Yup, you got it- bye bye hair on my head.

If your hair is thinning and you are alarmed see a doctor. Its no big deal, really! My Dr was more than willing to help me. Its not even embarrassing to talk about (unlike male physicals can be!) lol. Your Dr will rule out any problem (hyper/hypo thyroidism,etc) and make sure its male pattern baldness. I started using Rogaine about 5 years ago, it works. However it irritated my scalp so much it drove me crazy. I have really bad allergies and sensitive skin to boot. I would tell you to try Rogaine first. Use it for 6 months. Take 1 picture at the same time every month and compare it. Use the Rogaine every day, 2x a day, extra strength. If the Rogaine irritates you or for whatever reason is doesnt work your last ray of hope is Propecia. Propecia blocks the DHT in your blood, whilst Rogaine blocks it directly on your scalp. Ive been on propecia for about 7 months now with no side effects and my hair regrowth is just awesome! My bald spot is just about covered with hair, and let me tell you - it was shiny and bald before.

Read through this forum and educate yourself. Dont be afraid to ask questions, and definately dont be afraid to ask a Dr. or friend (who might be in the same situation as you).

Last edited by Chris26MI; 01-18-2007 at 05:06 PM.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:58 AM   #3
    Barry876
    Inactive
    (male)

Barry876 HB User

I agree with Chris.
    Rogaine and Propecia are the best products for hairloss.
    I would add, get the 5% Rogaine Foam.
    They make a 2% and 5% version.
    The Rogain Foam is alot better then the regular Rogaine.
    Its much less greasy and irritating on the hair.

I would also recommend using Retin A.
    It was found out, that that applying Retin-A with Minoxidil increases the absorption of Minoxidil on the hair.
    Minoxidil is the main incredient in Rogaine.
    Retin-A should be applied separately from Minoxidil.
    If you mix them together, you will weaken them.
    Put the Retin-A on your hair, then wait 15 minutes till it dry's.
    Then apply the Minoxidil on your hair.

After awhile, you might want to try 12.5% Minoxidil.
    They don't sell this in the stores, but there are places that are now selling it online.
    You first want to start off using 5% Minoxidil, so your hair gets used to the Minoxidil.
    Then after 5 or 6 months, you can start using the 12.5% Minoxidil.
    Do an online search of 12.5% Minoxidil.

For shampoos, I like the Thicker Fuller Hair.
    They sell it in CVS.
    This Shampoo really improves the hair shaft and will make your hair thicker.
    It has alot of good ingredients.
    Rosemary, Chamomile, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Ginko Biloba Extract, Retinol, Panthenol, Biotin, Aloe, Jojoba

For Vitamins I like the Osteo Bi-Flex.
    They make a new one that has Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM, Collagen and Hyaluronic Acid. The key ingredient is a potent extract of Boswellia serrata called 5-Loxin, which is 10 times more concentrated than typical Boswellia extracts.
    This is a good vitamin for hairloss.
    I get it at Walgreens.
    Usually once every 3 or 4 weeks, Walgreens has a buy one get one free.
    Walmart and Target also sell it.

Biotin also is very good vitamin for growing hair.
    You need to take 5000 MCG, which is 5MG.
    Take one capsule a day.

Calcium Citrate is also very good. .
    Calcium Citrate absorbs better in the body then Calcium Carbonate
    But you usually have to take 2 Calcium Citrate vitamins to = the Carbonate vitamin.
    Usually Calcium Citrate vitamins are 250 MG per Calcium.
    Where the Carbonate is 500 to 600MG per calcium.
    Get a Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D and Magnesium.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:03 AM   #4
    SomePerson12
    Inactive
    (male)

SomePerson12 HB User

OK, I read up on Minoxidil and am affraid of using it cause i know that once you stop you lose all progress!!!! So what other options besides Propecia and Rogaine or is that there? Even if it's just maintaining the hair I already have? What about vitamns?

Thanks again!

Last edited by SomePerson12; 01-23-2007 at 07:05 AM.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:26 AM   #5
    hi5
    Inactive
    (male)

hi5 HB User

I know people hate to hear this but there is no true hair loss prevention method. If/when your body has hit that designated time, your hair starts to go.
    I had minimal success with Rogaine and Propecia, but only in maintaining what I had left. I was still, by cosmetic standards, balding. After a while, it was too much money just to maintain a "balding" status.
    Now I do a Mr. Clean on it. Women love it. I would never have believed it in my early 20's. I'm early 30's now.

BTW, those ads you hear on TV and radio about some doctor who guarantees you their shampoo really works....... well, guess what. Usually, their shampoos and/or treatments use minoxidil so they are technically not lying when they say it's proven. However, they don't offer anything new to the table except berries and extracts, which have never been proven to grow hair back since man has been losing hair.

Old 01-28-2007, 12:29 PM   #6
    kittywitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SomePerson12 View Post
    What can I do to prevent hair loss(receeding hairline) from happening anymore then it has? Shampoos? any other suggestions?

ThankS!!!!!!
    Nioxin shampoo helps my hair loss alot. It hasn't given me any regrowth, but it keeps what I have in my head.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:59 PM   #7
    davidhoffman111
    (male)

davidhoffman111 HB User

My Question: what should I do for the frontal baldness? Rogaine is mainly for the vertex (that's what it says on the cover of it).

is there any other medicine?

Does Rogaine have any side effect? do you think it would be helpful for the frontal baldness as well?

Old 02-07-2007, 05:13 AM   #8
    SomePerson12
    Inactive
    (male)

SomePerson12 HB User

Yes, rogaine will help for your frontal baldness. They company just can't say it yet cause it hasn't been FDA approved.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:39 PM   #9
    Hitmen
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hitmen HB User

Rogaine does work in the front. Rogaine is not allowed to say this though because the FDA trials were only done on the vertex so that is all they are allowed to mention. Also I would go with Rogaine foam over the liquid version. Good luck!

Old 02-08-2007, 01:09 PM   #10
    barb70
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

If these things do help you why would you want to stop them? I've been using Rogaine now for several years and wouldn't dream of stopping it in case this is what is helping me. The cost is nothing if you watch for sales and use the $5. coupons inclosed (at least in the Woman's Rogaine) plus for every four bottles you buy you can send in for a free bottle. So if you purchase the the three month supply on sale plus the coupon you are paying about $11 per month for the treatment. Well worth it to me.

Closed Thread