It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board

• Hair highlights and hair loss?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-05-2007, 06:03 AM   #1
    innocence
    Veteran
    (female)

innocence HB User
    Hair highlights and hair loss?

I usually lose quite a bit of hair when I wash it..and it's rather fragile. However, I was thinking of getting it highlighted. I heard that it's not as bad as colouring hair, since they don't actually touch the root/scalp, but is this true?? I don't want to damage my hair further, but would quite like highlights!! And what's better - full hair or half, re. highlighting?? I want to have highlights for the summer, but dont want to have to keep getting it done..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
    alexiwildchild
    Veteran
    (female)

alexiwildchild HB User
    Re: Hair highlights and hair loss?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by innocence View Post
    I usually lose quite a bit of hair when I wash it..and it's rather fragile. However, I was thinking of getting it highlighted. I heard that it's not as bad as colouring hair, since they don't actually touch the root/scalp, but is this true?? I don't want to damage my hair further, but would quite like highlights!! And what's better - full hair or half, re. highlighting?? I want to have highlights for the summer, but dont want to have to keep getting it done..
    in my personal opinion and experience, highlighting can damage your hair worse. now i'm not saying your hair will fall out from the scalp or anything, but it is damaging. with color, you only need a smaller level of peroxide to deposit color, with highlights-you are using bleach and usually a much higher level of peroxide (depending on how much lift they have to do). i know with 10-20 volume peroxide with color usually doesn't damage my hair that much. but when i had highlights (my hair is a dark brown) they have to use 40 volume peroxide to lift all those levels. even though they aren't touching your scalp, brushing and regular styling/washing can break or split the fragile highlighted hair. i usually ended up with a lot of split ends on the highlights.
    as far as full or half, that's up to you. i do a partial/half with red now days (less damage, it's a lifting/tone 10 volume red)...if you wear your hair high up alot, you may want to do all over. but the "style" for a lot of people these days is just a partial with the darker underneath.

i don't know how dark your hair is or what level/color hightlights you want, but mine had to be retouched very frequently due to the contrast of my new growth. if yours isn't that dark, you may not have to worry that much about getting them done so often. use a good leave-in conditioner and deep conditioner regularly with keratin or protein to help repair your hair too.

don't know if that helps, but good luck

Last edited by alexiwildchild; 08-05-2007 at 02:51 PM.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
    innocence
    Veteran
    (female)

innocence HB User

Thanks so much for your advice!! that was incredibly helpful. My hair isn't that dark (ash brown, I would say...kind of a golden colour in the summer), and im considering 'lowlights'. would this be a better option? And..should i get them before or after i go on a beach holiday...would the sun/sea affect the highlights much?? The sun often dries out my hair quite a bit!
    Thanks, once again!!!

Old 08-05-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
    alexiwildchild
    Veteran
    (female)

alexiwildchild HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by innocence View Post
    Thanks so much for your advice!! that was incredibly helpful. My hair isn't that dark (ash brown, I would say...kind of a golden colour in the summer), and im considering 'lowlights'. would this be a better option? And..should i get them before or after i go on a beach holiday...would the sun/sea affect the highlights much?? The sun often dries out my hair quite a bit!
    Thanks, once again!!!
    glad it helped some Lowlights are usually considered foiling in a darker color--is that what you were wanting? a lot of people who over-highlight their hair tend to need lowlights after a while to break up the blonde. it will definitely give contrast to an all over color, regardless of what color it is. so maybe that would give you a different look, if that's really all you were wanting. if it is just color you are wanting foiled into what you have now, it probably wouldn't be as harsh as bleach would, especially if you are going to be around the beach with all the salty air/water. a good thing to do sometimes if you are going to go to the beach (and you really don't care what your hair looks like) is to put a deep conditioner into your hair DRY and go about your day chilling at the beach. it will somewhat protect your hair from the salt and act like a coating, or so i've heard. another good option is to rinse your hair with regular water after getting into the ocean so get that junk out of there, then maybe spray it with a leave-in conditioner. the sun definitely can alter the color of hair, just like natural highlights. hats are a good option but it won't do much if you aren't out in it all the time-at least i wouldn't think so. you should be ok! it is probably more of people who are out in the sun all the time.
    hope ya have fun at the beach, either way!

Old 08-06-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Highlights or lowlights can really make the hair look great since it adds contrast, but if you are worried about hair loss, make sure to go to a GOOD salon and try to get a natural color not too far from your own hair color. If you have dark brown hair and want light blonde highlights, yes usually it will dry your hair a bit at first.

You can consider getting partial highlights (top half) or even just at the very top to frame your face. That way, damage will be minimal and it still looks great! I often get partial highlights because it's a lot cheaper at my salon. The first time I ever got highlights, I got a caramel color. My hair is naturally medium brown... and there was no damage and my hair was very healthy. Now once I started getting lighter blonde done, I'd do deep conditioning treatments because my hair would feel a little dry right afterwards. You can always get a conditioning treatment at the salon after the highlights regardless of what you do... they usually don't cost much and are great!

Old 09-06-2007, 06:21 PM   #6
    pweaverling
    (female)

pweaverling HB User

5000mg Biotin, a B vitamin, will stop the hair loss

Old 09-07-2007, 05:04 AM   #7
    Jelohi
    (female)

Jelohi HB User

Hair loss can be caused by hypothyroid too - that's what I found out was causing mine. If you have that problem, coloring can make the hair appear thicker until you can take care of the underlying problem. If it's falling out from breakage, that would be a different story.

Closed Thread