It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board

• Hair loss: How can it be a symptom of hypothyroidism....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2007, 09:23 PM   #1
    Brillig
    (female)

Brillig HB User
    Question Hair loss: How can it be a symptom of hypothyroidism....

and also a side-effect of medication to treat hypothyroidism?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2007, 07:01 AM   #2
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User
    Re: Hair loss: How can it be a symptom of hypothyroidism....

I think hair loss is often caused by low ferritin levels. AND that is often caused by un-diagnosed and poorly treated hypothyroidism.

I think lots of women have low iron levels and it goes un-diagnsoed because 99% of the doctors rely only on the cheap hemoglobin test and never do a ferritin level. AND because they use faulty "normal ranges" for the ferritin test, (and the thyroid test) if they ever do run a ferritin level. The hemoglobin will start dropping when the ferritin gets below 10. That is why the ferritin level is considered "normal" down to that number. BUT...you can suffer from low iron symptoms (including hair loss, fatugue, infertility) long before the hemoglobin gets below "normal range". I never had a low hemoglobin level & my ferritin was 15 (and I had all kinds of low iron symptoms that were ignored for years BECAUSE my hemoglobin was "normal").

Optimal ferritin is between 70 - 90 (although the lab reports and doctors will wrongly call as low as 10 "normal".)

Get your ferritin level OPTIMAL & get ALL your thyroid levels OPTIMAL and then see if you have any symptoms left like....thin hair, fatigue, high cholesterol, weight gain despite dieting, slow reflexes, depression, frequent constipation, anxiety.

In other words...lots of doctors will tell you that your thyroid & iron levels are in "normal range" and tell you these and other symptoms are either due to something else or your fault. And then will start prescribing meds for you to take for those low iron and low thyroid symptoms when in reality what you need is optimal iron and thyroid levels, NOT more and more prescription meds!

Their "nornal ranges" are faulty and too many of them are not even doing all the correct test, like- FREE T3, FREE T4 & ferritin.

You may have to fight to have all these test done and your low Free T3 treated! End of rant!

Old 11-19-2007, 05:09 AM   #3
    Brillig
    (female)

Brillig HB User
    Re: Hair loss: How can it be a symptom of hypothyroidism....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GCC View Post
    I think hair loss is often caused by low ferritin levels. AND that is often caused by un-diagnosed and poorly treated hypothyroidism.

I think lots of women have low iron levels and it goes un-diagnsoed because 99% of the doctors rely only on the cheap hemoglobin test and never do a ferritin level. AND because they use faulty "normal ranges" for the ferritin test, (and the thyroid test) if they ever do run a ferritin level. The hemoglobin will start dropping when the ferritin gets below 10. That is why the ferritin level is considered "normal" down to that number. BUT...you can suffer from low iron symptoms (including hair loss, fatugue, infertility) long before the hemoglobin gets below "normal range". I never had a low hemoglobin level & my ferritin was 15 (and I had all kinds of low iron symptoms that were ignored for years BECAUSE my hemoglobin was "normal").

Optimal ferritin is between 70 - 90 (although the lab reports and doctors will wrongly call as low as 10 "normal".)

Get your ferritin level OPTIMAL & get ALL your thyroid levels OPTIMAL and then see if you have any symptoms left like....thin hair, fatigue, high cholesterol, weight gain despite dieting, slow reflexes, depression, frequent constipation, anxiety.

In other words...lots of doctors will tell you that your thyroid & iron levels are in "normal range" and tell you these and other symptoms are either due to something else or your fault. And then will start prescribing meds for you to take for those low iron and low thyroid symptoms when in reality what you need is optimal iron and thyroid levels, NOT more and more prescription meds!

Their "nornal ranges" are faulty and too many of them are not even doing all the correct test, like- FREE T3, FREE T4 & ferritin.

You may have to fight to have all these test done and your low Free T3 treated! End of rant!
    Not a rant at all. Thank you so much. This was awesomely helpful!

Closed Thread