It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board

• Has anyone here had their hair loss reverse *after* they raised their ferritin #?>>>>

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-29-2007, 09:21 PM   #1
    tooshae
    (female)

tooshae HB User
    Question Has anyone here had their hair loss reverse *after* they raised their ferritin #?>>>>

I guess I'm looking for some "success stories"!

I have been dealing with hair loss on and off for 6 years. I have Hashimotos AND PCOS (yeah me), but have finally realized that they aren't the sole reason for my hair loss! I am being *perfectly* medicated for these conditions and my hormone #s ALL look superb now, yet I'm losing more hair than ever. I CLOG the shower drain daily....I'm NOT being dramatic!

This is actually what led ME to ask my endo for a ferritin test. It came back last week at 29, where one year ago it was 61. I truly think that FOR ME, 61 was even too low. I'm starting to 100% believe that my ferritin levels are what's mainly responsible for my hair loss. It's the only thing at this point I can figure it could be.

There was an article in NEJM last month about female hair loss. It addressed the various types and causes of loss. The article said that for some women who are prone to loss, when their ferritin levels get under *70*, supplementation is recommended!

Anyway, I love to hear those success stories!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2007, 12:25 AM   #2
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
    Re: Has anyone here had their hair loss reverse *after* they raised their ferritin #?

I don't have a success story for you as i am also working at lifting my ferretin to help my hair shedding. I can only go by old blood test results and came to the conclusion that my hair shedding only began after my ferretin levels began dropping lower and lower.

After giving up on gp's i went to see a Trichologist who deals in hair/scalp issues and he also strongly advocates for ferretin to be a minimum of 70 and if you can lift it up as far as 125 then so much the better.

I did get a glimmer of hope when i was looking at some hair accessories at a market stall and i commented to my friend that my hair wasn't thick enough for some of the accessories sold and that i couldn't wait for my iron levels to correct. A lady overheard me and said that when my iron goes up then i will notice a dramatic difference as she had gone through the same thing herself. After that i was very excited and can now only live in hope

I have read and have also been told my my treating doctor that its not simply a matter of getting to 70, you need to stay at 70 or higher for at least 3 - 6 months and for some people even 12mths to enable hair to go through the proper growth cycle.

You just need to make sure that the hair loss isn't as a result of something else such as thryoid. My continous low iron led to my thyroid getting out of balance and as my iron gets a bit better so does my thyroid. As you are low in iron, get your vitamin D checked out too. A lot of people are low in vitamin D these days and quite a number of the people on this board have mentioned having to take a vit D supplement also.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:28 AM   #3
    tooshae
    (female)

tooshae HB User
    Re: Has anyone here had their hair loss reverse *after* they raised their ferritin #?

Thanks Audrey!

I actually do have thyroid and PCOS problems...how awful for my hair. BUT, I am being properly treated (finally) and all my hormone #s look quite superb. This is what led *me* to ask my endochrinologist for the ferritin testing.

Oh, I pray to God that I can get my ferritin # up and keep it up! I can't help but wonder how long I'm looking at before the loss completely stops...3 months, 6 months, a year?

I have no problem taking iron supps. as long as I need to, I'm just anxious for the shedding to STOP and to have some real regrowth...at this point it would be like a dream!

Old 11-30-2007, 08:40 AM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

My Ferritin went down to a 2 and my hair began to fall out like what your saying. I was beginning to get scared. Then I got my Ferritin up to a 20 and it went back to the normal amount of hair loss that I was used to. Point being my hair was always falling out so I think that I always operated on a low Ferritin without knowing it. It takes years to lower numbers like mine, the doctors tell me that my body didn't even know that my Hgb was going down to 8.6, I felt pretty normal. That is what heavy periods can do. I also have Hashimotos, there are many of us here. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 11-30-2007, 08:57 AM   #5
    tooshae
    (female)

tooshae HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Has anyone here had their hair loss reverse *after* they raised their ferritin #?

FlowerGirl....I think this is precisely what's been happening to me. "Low" can mean different things for different people. I've had hair loss for 6 years now (started after my 4th child) and this year has BY FAR been the worst, and this is the year that my ferritin # was cut in half....It was 61 a last Dec. and in Oct. it was 29! I DO NOT think this is all a coincidence!

As weird as it sounds, I'm GLAD to finally realize this! I've been doing this horrible "puzzle" for the past 6 years, and I finally want to complete it and move on!

Old 11-30-2007, 12:58 PM   #6
    lindsalou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lindsalou HB User

Ive always been told that ferritin needs to be above 70 for any regrowth to occur, and then it needs to stay above that to retain any new re-growth.
    My ferritin is at 5 at present, and for the past 3 months i have been massaging my scalp twice a day and geeting a professional indian head massage one a week.
    Since i have been doing this i have noticed a (only very slight) improvement, where i can feel a few 'stubbly' bit of hair on my scalp, at first i thought it was where my hair was snapping off (although i shed direct from the root), but my hairdresser looked and she was 95% sure it was a few bits of new hair.

The thing i find strange about the whole ferritin/hairloss thing is that my hair still grows the same as its always done. The most annoying is that all my hair loss is on the top of my head, which is obvioulsy the worst place, as you can tell. If i part my hair in the centre, i have an inch wide parting!

Im gonna keep on with the massage, as every little helps.
    It would be great to here from someone who has regained all the hair they lost.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

I'm working getting my hair back. And as Linds said, I have read that 70 IS the lucky number but I have new hairs and I was only somewhere around 20 Ferritin when this happened. The new hairs stand up when I style my hair and I look a little silly. They are also very baby fine. So I don't know about the numbers that we have to get to. At this point I'm unsure anyway. For a laugh I'll ask my Hematologist in January. He said I was forming a male balding pattern and that it WAS NOT Ferritin related. Then I got really scared. The minute my Ferritin went up a little it slowed down a great deal. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 11-30-2007, 06:22 PM   #8
    CD111
    (female)

CD111 HB User

I am in the same boat as everyone else. I have lots a TON of hair this past year. I am encouraged by the fact that I have short fine hair also growing back and initially thought it was breakage. But I may reconsider that now. I am hoping that in a few months I can have my ferritin up to around forty and get this hair loss thing to slow down.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:43 PM   #9
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

FLFLOWERGIRL - i can relate to new hairs sticking up/out and looking silly I had a batch of new growth and it was all different lengths and they would stick out all around my head making me look like i'd had an electric shock.

My problem is that even with all the hair loss, i continously get new regrowth, but it doesnt last the distance. I suppose i am fortunate that it does attempt to keep regrowing as that is a sign that something is still going on in there (probably the only thing going on in my head ) The thing now is to make as many hairs as possible stay put and not fall out.

Does anybody notice a particularly bad shedding time during the year? My extremely bad period of shedding is summer and into autumn. Once the much colder weather sets in then it slows right down. I find this odd and dont understand it. Maybe it stops as i've lost a sufficient amount of hair and the amount that i'm left with my iron levels can cope with. Does this happen to anybody else? Any theories?

Closed Thread