It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board

• Plaquenil and hair loss

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
    ncg6463
    (female)

ncg6463 HB User
    Plaquenil and hair loss

I have been taking Plaquenil for 2 months. This is the second time I have been on this medication for joint inflamation. I have been told I probably have a mild form of Lupus.I have an ANA of 1:160 and below normal Complement C3 and C4 blood test results. All other tests are normal. After being on the drug for one month I noticed a nice sized patch of hair missing. After two months on the drug I have three patches of hair missing and some thinning of my hair. The drug pamphlet says that it can cause hair loss and alopecia. My doctor seems to believe it is unrelated. Have you witnessed Plaquenil to cause this complication? Thank you for your response.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2008, 09:32 AM   #2
    camur99
    (female)

camur99 HB User
    Re: Plaquenil and hair loss

I have been taking plaquenil for 17 days now for hair loss due to positive ANA test. The doctor said I have lupus in February 2008 but reluctant to take plaquenil due to the possible side effect of hair loss. I have only hair loss and no other lupus related symptoms. For the past couple of days, I notice that the hair loss is getting more intense. I have given it much thought and have decided to go off plaquenil. Anyone has similar problem with hair loss after taking plaquenil? I am not sure if I should go on plaquenil for the hair loss although my doctor strongly suggested I should?

Thanks.

Camur

Old 07-17-2008, 02:47 AM   #3
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
    Re: Plaquenil and hair loss

What's so confusing is that lupus itself can cause hair loss. Discoid lesions, for example, can cause follicular plugging and permanent hair loss. (I wear hats religiously & limit midday sun exposure.) Hormonal changes & steroids are also reasons. Also, alopecia areata, which can co-exist with lupus. FYI, Dr. Wallace discusses this subject in his hardcover (available in most libraries).

I'm just a patient but I wonder if only few weeks to a few months of Plaquenil is a likely cause, especially because it takes 3-4 months to reach full effect... Plus most of us are already in a flare when we start meds. Also, it's summer: sun can be a huge trigger for flares & rashes.

I had a hair loss (breakage along hair line & on crown) many years before Dx. My hair looks better now than it ever has, after 8 years on Plaquenil. Good luck to you both! Sincerely, Vee

Closed Thread