It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board

• Hair Loss...please share your experiences and help me understand my situation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2008, 11:20 PM   #1
    aceman626
    (male)

aceman626 HB User
    Hair Loss...please share your experiences and help me understand my situation

Hi, I am a 30 year old fairly healthy male and about 6 months ago I noticed sigificant thinning of my hair. Before that, I had a full thick head of hair. In fact, everytime I get a haircut the stylist will mention my thick hair. Then all of a sudden, I start losing hair on the top of my head. Just 6 months ago when I went to get a haircut, and my stylist mentioned that I have lost a good amount of hair since I last saw him (i get my hair cut every month). It's very strange how it happened so fast all of a sudden within one month...I would think that hair loss is more gradual than that? At this point its not yet visible to other <PEOPLE>, but it is very obvious to myself and my stylist.

As far as my background, my father is bald. However he was already bald by 30 and the people in my family all said I don't have his gene becuase of my thick hair. So now in 1 month I lost about 50% of my hair on the top, but becuase I had so much hair before even now I can still pass off as "normal". My hairline in front has not receded at all, but the hair loss is sort of at the back of my head around the swirl and also overall on top. Do you guys think I am going bald?

I have had a major surgery around the same time, and some <PEOPLE> said that might be it (and I was hoping they were correct), however if that's the case then the hair should grow back but it hasnt. Also if it was becuase of the surgery, then I assume the hair loss would be all over the head, but for me, its only on top, so looks like baldness.

So I am wondering if you all can share your experiences with hair loss, and what have you been doing to cope with it?

Is there anyway to grow back hair, at my age, in a healthy process without side effects? I was told that rogaine and procecia "may" work a little bit, but it comes with side effects. I don't want to give up my health, so I don't think I will try it unless its guaranteed 100%positive effects. What are your experiences with those medications?

Nowadays I use Nioxin shampoo, which is supposed to protect my hair. Have you guys used any shampoos or non-medical hair products that worked well?

Is there any thing, like supplements (iron? calcium? ) or vitamins, that I should be taking to help the situation?

Also, is wearing basecall caps and hats bad for hair?

Any ideas, advice, experience sharing, would be great!

Thanks.

Last edited by msmod; 10-08-2008 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Always use whole words in your posts. Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2008, 01:57 AM   #2
    lucylucy
    Veteran
    (female)

lucylucy HB User
    Re: Hair Loss...please share your experiences and help me understand my situation

Male pattern baldness is inherited from your mother's side of the family, not your father's. So look at her father and brothers for an indication of your hair loss genes.
    My husband's early hair loss was almost identical to his older half brother's loss. They have the same mother, but neither of their fathers was bald.

If you've got male pattern baldness, you might consider rogaine. It's reasonably effective in growing back SOME hair, and I think the results are better if you start sooner rather than later. It might be helpful in keeping the hair you have for a longer time. My husband decided it wasn't worth the effort. I didn't care about it at all, and his career doesn't rely on looking younger (which is a good thing, because he also starting going gray at age 20). Hair loss never affected his self-esteem. I wish I could say the same about myself.

Stress definitely causes hair loss. It usually starts a month or two AFTER the stress, and may take a long time to grow back. It has something to do with the stages of growth. Stress affects the hair at some stages more than other. I don't recall the details I learned from a dermatologist many years ago.

If all your loss was due to stress, look closely for a lot of tiny hairs growing back. They should be showing by now. In my high-stress 30's, I lost and regrew hair several times. The losses were obvious and dramatic (to me) everytime I took a bath. Once, I had so many short hairs, it looked a little spiky under my longer hair, so I had to cut it all shorter.

But around the age of 40, I wasn't noticing a lot of loss, but my hair wasn't growing back at the same rate (if at all). Based on the thickness of my ponytail, I estimate that I've lost at least 50% of my hair, even more on the top. My stylist has worked hard to find ways to disguise it. I have thinner hair at 50, then my mother does at 74. My doctor thinks my hair loss might be related to medications, especially the Ibuprofen (Motrin) I was taking for knee and back pain, or possibly anti-depressants. There really doesn't seem to be much women can do to regrow hair. I wish I lived in the 70's. Back then, wigs were really popular.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:59 AM   #3
    lucylucy
    Veteran
    (female)

lucylucy HB User
    Re: Hair Loss...please share your experiences and help me understand my situation

Also... vitamins couldn't hurt, but I'm not sure if they help. Someone once recommended Biotin.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:39 AM   #4
    aceman626
    (male)

aceman626 HB User

thanks lucy, much appreciated. I am interested in learn more about your stress related hair loss. I was thinking that hereditary/age-related hair loss might be more gradual right, and you also start noticing earlier? At least for men that should be the case?

I was completely fine, like 100% full thick hair, right up until 2 months after my surgery. The surgery itself was fine, but involved a lot of blood loss near the head (tonsillectomy) and it was bad enough that I didn't really eat or get out of bed for almost 2 weeks.

Then all of a sudden I started losing hair, like very rapidly. I was really really hoping that it was simply due to the surgery, and the hair will grow back in a month or two. But its been almost 6 months and it still hasn't improved. Also, the hair loss pattern seems more hereditary/age-related because I only lose hair on top, and not around the head....if it is stress/trauma related to the surgery then it should be all over the head right?

I guess my stressful job/lifestyle isn't helping, but it isn't like I didn't have stress before..I've been very stressed for the last several years due to my job...so I don't know if that's the cause of my hair loss as that happened recently and suddenly.

How long did it take you to grow back hair due to stress?

I am still trying to determine what the reason is for my loss is...i guess it doesn't really matter becuase there's not much I can do...I am still hanging onto the hope that it might just be trauma from the surgery and soon it will grow back..but the situation looks very bleak....I used to never worry about my hair, and now I am very self conscious..I keep comparing my head to other people's, and I am scared to wear a cap, or scratch my head, etc.

If anyone else has experience with male pattern baldness, or age-related hair loss, or stress/trauma induces hair loss, please share your experiences, thanks.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
    olive0
    (female)

olive0 HB User

Dear Aceman626,

I had a cosmetic procedure a few years back which has left my beautiful long, thick, healthy hair in tatters. I lost a lot of my hairline and had to have a transplant. I have now lost the sides of my hair too in addition to the overall shedding, approx one third its original thickness) and breaking and the radical change in its texture - it's now dry and extremely brittle whereas it was once shiny and glowing.

I have been on a journey of all sorts. I have been to trichologists, tried alternative medicines, rogaine, herbs, vitamins, chinese accupuncture, magnets, hypnotherapy, cupping, dermatologists galore, cbt therapy - and the list goes on and on and on. Save your money - your hair will do what your hair intends to do is my theory.

Hair is something i admired about myself, but at the same time, took completely for granted. The surgeon assured me that absolutely nothing would happen to my hair. little does he know how he has turned my life upside down.

Anyway, the one thing that i have used that has been of some use in helping give my hair a fuller look, is a product called toppik. it is a powder that attaches itself to the strands of hair and expands them. it doesn't run when wet or rub off onto your pillow. I am in no way affiliated with the marketing of this product. i'm simply a consumer of it.

I wish you all the very best in coming to terms with you grief. It can be a very isolating time. Warm regards, olive

Closed Thread