It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board

• Hair loss after extended Plaquenil use?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-13-2003, 05:42 PM   #1
    MBS

MBS HB User
    Unhappy Hair loss after extended Plaquenil use?

Hi all,

I have been on Plaquenil 400mg/day for the last six years. Over the last two weeks, my hair has been coming out pretty steadily. By no means, though, do I have a thin head of hair or blatently bald patches. Many strands come out in the shower when I'm rinsing my hair off, my hair has broken off in places near the crown, and there's pieces of hair all over the counter when I'm done blow drying. I've been trying to ignore it, but I've never experienced anything like this before. I saw my rheumatologist today and casually mentioned this hair loss issue. He said that we needed to stop Plaquenil immediately as once hair loss starts, it doesn't stop until you stop the medicine. I asked if hair loss would just start in someone who's been on the drug for as long as I have been on it, and he said the hair loss could start anytime.

I am just in shock that I have to stop the plaquenil ASAP. I am very concerned that I'm going to relapse into a flare state. My Dr. said he wanted to medicine to clear from my system for three months, then if the hair loss stops, he'll try me back on it at 200mg/day. Do you think I should ask to be on a different drug comparable to plaquenil?

Has anyone else had this happen with their hair after long-term plaquenil use? It seems that hair loss shows up in the side effects, but only as a temporary one when the patient is getting used to the medicine.

Did anyone else try one of the newer drugs that's similar to Plaquenil (I'm just discovering other options.)

Any advice on how to handle this situation?

Thanks for any and all input.

Many blessings,

Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2003, 06:12 PM   #2
    Hagg

Hagg HB User
    Cool

Hi-
    I've been on Plaquenil since Nov. 2001. I tend to loose alot of hair several weeks after a flare-up, infection, or even a bad virus. My hair loss NEVER precedes a flare-up, it always come after I've been ill. If Plaquenil effects my hair loss, I'd never know it.

But, I have noticed that my naturally mousy dark blonde hair has lightened up a few shades. Happily, it gives me more time in between highlight appointments!

I hope everything comes out ok for you. Please give us an update!

Closed Thread