It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board

• Weight lifting and hair loss

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
    Rowley
    (male)

Rowley HB User
    Weight lifting and hair loss

I am 21 years old and ive been lifting weights since I have been 18 so that 3 years now. Since starting excersizeing and lifting weights i have noticed my hair to start to fall out and become very unhealthy looking and feeling. I have allways worked full time and gone to school at the same time so i would say that i am a very stressed person. recently I started to relive some of my stressors but my hair is still not looking good or growing healthy. I am wondering if me working out very heavily would be of any reasionn why my hair loss is becoming a problem, any good advice would be very helpfull.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
    Leo123
    Veteran
    (male)

Leo123 HB UserLeo123 HB User
    Re: Weight lifting and hair loss

I think there maybe something to that!

I also recently started lifting weights again, and I think I have noticed my hair loss accelarting since I started again.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
    Choice
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Choice HB User

Building muscles may increase testosterone. Increased testosterone can cause hair loss. Maybe you should have your hormone levels tested.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:46 PM   #4
    lucylucy
    Veteran
    (female)

lucylucy HB User

A quick note about stress and hair loss. Most people don't notice the hair loss until about 2-3 months after the start of the heavy stress. It has to do with the growth cycle of hair. Meditation and stress management can help, but the results won't show up for couple months.

Any big change in activity or diet might make your body think that you're under threat somehow. Weightlifting might make you feel less stress overall, but your body could still perceive it as a threat. (It's like your cells are saying "Woah, we need to put all our effort into the muscles, let's forget about the hair right now.")

Last edited by lucylucy; 07-28-2009 at 10:47 PM.

Closed Thread