It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board

• Ferritin at 19, suffering hair loss :(

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
    kristie-6
    (female)

kristie-6 HB User
    Ferritin at 19, suffering hair loss :(

I have been noticing hair thinning for about 2 years and went to see doc 1.5 years ago and she did a blood test and said my vitamin D was low so to take it. I have been doing that. Hair was still thinning. About three months ago I noticed pretty chronic fatigue, went to see gyno two months ago and she ordered blood test, came back with slightly low platelet count. I noticed this and went to see my regular doc and she said no prob, just slightly low and should be fine. I told her about my fatigue and she ordered more blood tests, did not tell me to take anything. I started taking iron on my own about 6 weeks ago, was only taking the regular daily dosage (25mg Gentle Iron Byglisincate or whatever you call it), hair was still thinning, still tired. Noticed more hair thinning about a month ago, yikes! I already have very thin fine hair. YIKES. Went back to doc, now very annoyed, said my hair is falling out and I am tired. She did more blood tests and almost as an afterthought said, "oh, maybe we should also check your ferritin, yea lets check that". She calls back a few days later and says the level is 19 and to just take iron daily (did not tell me how much, what kind, did not advise me of what not to take with it that would negate absorption), and to eat iron rich foods and come back in three months for another blood test. This was about three weeks ago. I have doubled up on the iron taking 100 mg of the daily along with vitamin c and. I called the doctor back and said I wanted my level retested at the month mark because I my hair is still falling out YIKES and I want to know if this darn iron is getting absorbed, she said she does not Recommend doing it again so soon and that I should wait 3 months. I am going crazy with this hair loss. I guess my question is this, what more should I do or not do at this point. I am freaking out, I am still losing my hair One thing I have noticed in the past three weeks, I have waaaaaaaay more energy, the fatique is gone but still losing hair. Help meeeeeeeeee, any replies would be appreciated.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-21-2019 at 05:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
    Leegh
    (female)

Leegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB User
    Re: Ferritin at 19, suffering hair loss :(

I have been taking liver extract pills, as I also have anemia. Speaking for myself, when I would take iron pills, it seemed to affect my mood, in other words, my mood went downhill.

Last edited by Leegh; 09-23-2013 at 08:03 AM.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
    kristie-6
    (female)

kristie-6 HB User

That's interesting about iron pills and mood. The ones I am taking are fine, but since I increased the dose I am noticing some constipation, not too bad, but definitely different than before. Are the liver extract pills working for you? What is your ferritin level now and what did you start with??

Old 09-25-2013, 03:36 AM   #4
    Leegh
    (female)

I did an at home test kit which indicated that my ferritin level was below 20, but it didn't give a specific number, (it was an inexpensive test kit) but previous lab work from my doctor (I can't find the info.) has shown that I am anemic, but not severely anemic. I've read that even being slightly anemic can cause fatigue. Although I feel basically OK, my main problem is fatigue. I'm not tired all of the time, but sometimes, especially after a stressful day, the fatigue goes into the next day (waking up tired), even if I have not stayed up late. Waking up tired is the worst, as one has the whole day in front of them, yet they are exhausted. Today is one of those days! But, I do think the Liver Extract pills are helping (but not a miracle), and I plan to go to my doc soon for blood work. In addition, I drink a lot of tea, and I have read that tea (mostly tea, but coffee as well) can prevent iron from being absorbed, so I have cut down a lot on my tea drinking.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
    kristie-6
    (female)

kristie-6 HB User

All I know is that for the last few weeks since I have been doubling up on Iron, I started taking it about 5 weeks ago, no more fatigue at all. I feel so much better.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
    kristie-6
    (female)

kristie-6 HB User

I am just turning 47 and also thought it was due to aging, hormones, etc but once i found out the Ferritin was low and started the iron, the fatigue pretty much disappeared, now I am working on my hair getting better. I actually understand that cutting thin hair completely blunt, with no layers at all is better and I have my hair cut in a very blunt bob and it looks good even tho it is paper thin. I am still shedding so I may have to get it done in a very short cut but I found a lot of really cute styles. I don't drink tea, just several cups of coffee in the morning. I have also heard that L-lysine helps to absorb iron so I am going to look into getting some of that. I have been making molasses smoothies and eating smoked oyster. If you're getting things checks have them check your zinc, vitamin D and B12 also because I have heard that those can also cause hair loss if low.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-21-2019 at 05:40 AM.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:57 AM   #7
    Leegh
    (female)

I'll try the L-lysine. I had my Vitamin D checked several years ago and it was indeed low. I then started taking Vitamin D (about 1000 mg.) and I should have it checked again. I live just outside of D.C., and obviously in the winter one cannot get any Vitamin D outside. That is a good idea about getting zinc levels checked. Regarding hair, I have always had very fine, thin hair, even when I was younger, and I colored it blonde a lot, and that resulted in a lot of breakage. A hairdresser once thought I had it layered, but it was actually due to breakage. I don't color my hair as much now, for that reason and laziness. In addition, I've read that after washing hair it is best to wait until it is dry to comb it, as hair is at its weakest when wet. In relation to fatigue, I am not fatigued every day, it is just some days, and as I said before waking up tired. I may have some additional deficiency, perhaps the Vitamin D is still low and zinc. I have had some relationship problems (with an old boyfriend and also family problems), which causes "broken sleep", waking up a lot in the night. I think the mind and body are connected, so that causes extra stress, which can in turn cause fatigue. I will buy some L-lysine and zinc today, and take these supplements and I realize it can take several months for results, and if my fatigue does not improve I'll see my doctor in the early spring.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-21-2019 at 05:42 AM.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
    kristie-6
    (female)

kristie-6 HB User

I am going to try to find some L-Lysine today. The proferrin seems to be ok, no major stomach issues so far, nothing worse than the gentle iron. In addition to the iron, I am taking a multi-vitamin with a little bit of zinc and Biotin. I am just trying to be careful to not double dose on any of these vitamins and am looking at the ingredients to make sure i am not doing that. I think the little bit of new growth I am seeing is due to these vitamins because I can't imagine the iron has made a difference yet but it has most certainly made a positive difference in my energy level. I have very fine and thin hair too and I am hoping that with a combination of these vitamins and a ferritin level of above 70, I can have a nice healthy head of hair. It makes me wonder how long my ferritin levels were down there, it could have been my whole life, who knows. Maybe there is hope for my hair. Or I could always cut it into a pixie and that would be nice too Please let me know how your tests come out. I plan to go back and get mine tested in another month or so.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-21-2019 at 05:43 AM.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
    kristie-6
    (female)

kristie-6 HB User

Got my levels checked again and my happy to report that my Ferritin is up to 43. Still having hair loss but have quite a bit of new growth and am going to try to get the levels up to at least 70. No more fatique, feeling pretty good, just still having the hair loss. Got my hair cut in a bob thing and it looks nice and thick now because even at shoulder length it was looking thin.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-21-2019 at 05:44 AM.

Closed Thread