It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board

iron and ferritin hair loss

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
bertt
(male)

bertt HB User
iron and ferritin hair loss

hi all,
i have been going through an episode of hair loss. i believe it is telogen effluvium since i have no evidence that it can be male pattern baldness. i believe this is due to my low iron. when i first had it checked my level was a 9 and my ferritin is at a 40. after taking ferrous gluconate based on my dermatologist and doctors reccomendation for a few months now my serum iron has gone up to a 28.9, although im not sure if it is mislead because i was taking the supplement at the time of the test or not. anyways my ferritin level has actually gone down to a 39. i dont understand how this could have happened since i do not drink coffee or tea, i drink orange juice with my iron and i take 3 pills a day. ive read that ferritin levels must be at or greater than 70 to see hair growth after something like this so im just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions of how to raise my ferritin level, preferably without raisng my serum iron above recommended levels. also does smoking affect this? any input on the subject would be appreciated.
thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
free2bme143
(female)

free2bme143 HB User
Re: iron and ferritin hair loss

300mg poly.iron per day. Two spoons of black strap molasses per day. Eat red meat, and other iron rich foods. Drink lots of oj and water. Take vitamin c tablet and L-lysine with your iron pill. My ferritin was at 14 in July and 81 in Dec.

Closed Thread

Tags
ferritin, hair loss, iron