It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board

• Grey hair?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-06-2016, 11:22 AM   #1
    Nae948
    (female)

Nae948 HB User
    Grey hair?

Last week I discovered I had one single grey on the top of my head? I'm only 23 and I find it to be kind of odd. What could be the cause of it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2016, 02:41 PM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Grey hair?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nae948 View Post
    Last week I discovered I had one single grey on the top of my head? I'm only 23 and I find it to be kind of odd. What could be the cause of it?
    Does early graying of hair run in your family?

It could be your diet. Certain nutrient deficiencies can cause graying. What is your diet like? How would you characterize it? High protein? High carb? Low carb? Vegan? Vegetarian? Omnivore?

Have you been under any great stress lately?

Old 08-06-2016, 02:46 PM   #3
    Nae948
    (female)

Nae948 HB User

High carb mostly. I don't think it runs in my family my mom did not get grey hair until her early 40s. And I do stress myself out a lot
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
    Does early graying of hair run in your family?

It could be your diet. Certain nutrient deficiencies can cause graying. What is your diet like? How would you characterize it? High protein? High carb? Low carb? Vegan? Vegetarian? Omnivore?

Have you been under any great stress lately?

Old 08-07-2016, 08:23 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Grey hair is the loss of pigment. It is both hereditary and can be caused by aging. You are young, but lots of people start getting gray hairs in their 20s.
    Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to reverse it. There are plenty of hair color options out there- sprays to cover just a few, wants to tough up just a few, all over hair color if you see more than a few. I would wait until you seee a grouping of them to do anything because it could just be a random thing!

Old 08-07-2016, 09:36 AM   #5
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

I began researching the causes of gray hair after sections of mine turned gray a few months after undergoing a hysterectomy (which was totally unwarranted at that). (My hair also fell out at an alarming rate with over half of it gone in just 4 months plus it became very fine.)

I found some Endocrinology medical literature that linked thyroid abnormalities to hair changes - loss of pigment (graying), hair loss, and texture changes. It stated that in some patients, the gray reversed with thyroid hormone treatment. But it would seem that any endocrine abnormality could affect the hair. In my case, I suspect that the removal of my ovaries (endocrine glands) was the "root cause" of the hair graying (as well as the massive shedding / loss and texture changes) but don't know if thyroid changes also played a role.

I've also read / heard that early graying can be caused by copper deficiency which is supposedly less common than zinc deficiency. I had lab work done and my copper was actually on the high side compared to my zinc (so copper deficiency was written off as the cause of my gray hair).

Of course, it's possible your gray hairs are not related to any of the above. But some blood work may be worth getting to be sure there isn't some underlying reason that could have other effects on your health.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:28 PM   #6
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nae948 View Post
    High carb mostly. I don't think it runs in my family my mom did not get grey hair until her early 40s. And I do stress myself out a lot
    A high carb diet is okay as long as the carbs are unrefined or unprocessed. For example, you would be better off eating lots of whole grains rather than baked goods made with white flour and sugar.

Various B vitamins are important but it's also important to get them from natural whole foods. Foods such as a wide variety of fresh vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts and seeds.

You can get B vitamins from animal protein too but I prefer plant sources because then your diet will also be high in fiber. And the more fiber the better for many reasons. If you also eat some animal protein, you will get your B12. Otherwise, if you don't, you will need to take a small B12 supplement.

A copper deficiency can cause graying but it's also important not to get too much because too much copper is bad for the brain. If you eat a wide variety of natural whole foods you should be okay.

To reduce stress: Take up meditation. You would basically sit in a quiet place, relax, close your eyes, and concentrate on your breathing. It sounds easy but takes a lot of practice to keep your mind from wandering onto the problems of the day. When you catch yourself thinking about something else, just go back to concentrating on your breathing. You might start with 5 or 10 minutes per day and gradually work your way up to a 1/2 hour or more. Studies have shown that it actually changes your brain for the better.

Last edited by JohnR41; 08-08-2016 at 01:51 PM.

Closed Thread