It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board

Redness in scalp

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-09-2018, 01:38 PM   #1
michele2323
(female)

michele2323 HB User
Redness in scalp

I notice periodically (in the winter especially) that there's redness occurring on my scalp at the base of my head/back of neck. It doesn't appear to be psoriasis or eczema because there are no flakes or scaling, and it isn't itchy. I don't have this anywhere else on my scalp that I can see.

I had my husband take a good look and he can't see anything wrong except the redness. Has anyone had anything similar? I am seeing a dermatologist for an unrelated issue in January so I plan to bring it up then, but curious what this could be. Googling just points me to psoriasis or dandruff, which don't really seem to be the issue.

I don't recall this being a thing during the summer, so perhaps it's just mild dermatitis/dry skin that isn't actually so dry as to flake? Not sure how to treat it either as I don't particularly want to put moisturizing lotion in my hair... any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #2
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User
Re: Redness in scalp

Dear michele

That may be contact dermatitis (inflammation) in reaction to something on the collar of a coat or clothing you wear in the colder months, or hair products you are using. You can take coats and get them cleaned. It can be from jewelry, scarves, hand lotion after touching your neck, hair spray, cream rinse, perfume, etc.

Make sure to use soaps and fabric softeners that are free of perfumes. Try to notice if a hair spray, touching your neck or specific clothing makes the redness occur.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:48 AM   #3
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Redness in scalp

I agree that this could simply be contact dermatitis which could be caused by anything which touches you in that area....one thing you could try is using a dandruff shampoo and leaving it on the scalp in that area for 5 minutes before you wash it off...dandruff shampoos also help with yeast and you can get yeast on the scalp.

I know its a long shot, but until you see the Derm, try some at home help. Dandruff shampoo cannot hurt you and is worth a shot.

You can also use some moisturizer or a cream for rashes like cortisone at night, and just wash your hair the next day- see if it does anything. It won't hurt.

Cortisone is often used for contact dermatitis. Dandruff shampoos are often used for yeast. Tea Tree oil can be added to your regular shampoo for dandruff and yeast as well. All of the above are safe to try at home. Do not use straight tea tree as it can aggravate the condition, but pour your shampoo in your palm and add 5 drops of tea tree and massage into the area and simply rinse out as usual.

Good luck!

Reply Reply

« Frizzy hair | - »